• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Question - Positioning Butt of Rifle on Shoulder

breezernate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Johnson City, TN
www.schwaniger.pro
What is the correct position to place the butt of the rife against the shoulder? I have shot both prone and sitting/standing by placing the butt against the anterior deltoid muscle and also by placing it closer to the center of my body, more on the top of the pectoral muscle close to the collarbone. It seems more solid closer to my body centerline. Is the pectoral muscle the correct spot?

In other words, what is the "pocket" of the shoulder?

Nate

Re: Question - Positioning Butt of Rifle on Shoulder

Dang, that's almost like being back in anatomy class...

The pocket is just what it sounds like, the "pocket-like" spot in the shoulder where the collar bone ties into the shoulder itself. If you're placing it down onto the pectoral muscle, I would think you're having to drop your head from upright to get down onto the stock and sight in. The phrase used most often is "buttstock high in the pocket of the shoulder".

You want your head erect for the most part, and "naturally" resting on the stock. If you're straining your neck to get in the sights, you're doing it wrong.

If you can naturally rest your head on the stock, looking straight through the scope/sights, and the rifle isn't skipping around from the recoil jumping out of the pocket, I would think you have it right.

If your sitting in a chair (like typing on the computer) and you trace a verticle line up from your nipple to the collar bone the "pocket" will be a finger or so outboard (that's away from the center for you land lubbers). You will feel the "dent" and that is where you put the toe of the stock when shooting "awfulhand". On your belly it's the flat spot in the same place which is where you put the stock so that your face can drop straight down on it smashing your cheek against the stock w/o leaning your neck to one side. "Cheek weld" is a misnomer it should be referred to as "cheek crush" as in when you let the full weight of your grape rest on the stock.

I could give you all the anatomically correct points refering to the mid clavicular line etc. but someone else might want to know what was being said.

Cheers,

Doc

The most important point in placement of the stock into the shoulder is to do it in such a manner that your head is straigth and not tilted.

Depending on position, it may be low, or high. You bring the stock to the head, not the head to the stock. Without knowing your phyical makeup its impossible to tell you where to put the stock. It will also be differant for each position.

I would sugest you pick up one of the AMU's books from the CMP Bookstore. Either the Service Rifle Guide or better, the International Rifle Guide. Both about $6.95. Best books you'll find on positition shooting, included placement of the stock and head postitions in the differant positions.

Wonderful answers, thank you. If anybody has anything to add, fire away.

I take it from you guys that resting the butt directly in the center of the meaty part of the deltoid is not correct. When I was doing this I think I had my stock adjusted with the lenght of pull too long. When tucking into the pocket, I think I will have to reduce the length of pull slightly to keep the proper sight picture through the scope, correct? I'll keep working on tucking it into the "pocket" area. I have an adjustable stock, so no problem there.

Nate

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction and set up right in the first place with an adjustable stock you can bring to you instead of you working around it.

Butt-to-shoulder is just one of five factors to a steady position. The others are stock-weld, non-firing hand, grip, and elbow placement. Since physics forces contact with gun and ground to change as the position gets higher from the ground, butt-to-shoulder position is different for every position. In fact, when shooting off hand, the butt will not likely even be in the shoulder for a muscularly relaxed position, even with an adjustable butt.

Since you live, it appears, in my neighborhood, stop in the store where I work part-time in Louisville, Shooter's Supply; and, I will give you a demonstration of positions, as well as help you with prone adjustments on your rifle if the store is not slammed with customers.

I'm glad I saw this topic as I have wondered about this recently.

I've read about the shoulder pocket as being the "correct" location for stock placement. I've got broad shoulders and when I use the pocket, (and the descriptions of the pocket above fit where I was placing the stock) it is more like I am laying my head on a pillow. When I pull the stock inboard more in vertical alignment with the nipple, it is much more comfortable because my head is more upright. So, is this a better position for me? Thanks.

If it is comfortable, stable, and has your head in a more upright position, then yes it sounds like that is better for you. The key here is STABLE. If it is popping out, moving, or painful then it isn't what you're looking for. If you find you have to readjust it every shot, then it isn't working right for you.

For me (everyone's body is different), I place the butt plate mostly on the collar bone while getting side support from the shoulder to hold it in place.

Thanks Redmanss! That will be a confidence builder for me.

Dang, that's almost like being back in anatomy class...

The pocket is just what it sounds like, the "pocket-like" spot in the shoulder where the collar bone ties into the shoulder itself. If you're placing it down onto the pectoral muscle, I would think you're having to drop your head from upright to get down onto the stock and sight in. The phrase used most often is "buttstock high in the pocket of the shoulder".

You want your head erect for the most part, and "naturally" resting on the stock. If you're straining your neck to get in the sights, you're doing it wrong.

If you can naturally rest your head on the stock, looking straight through the scope/sights, and the rifle isn't skipping around from the recoil jumping out of the pocket, I would think you have it right.
I know this was 10 years ago but I just read this and have to comment. Maybe you noticed that your neck and head are in the middle of your torso. The shoulder is closer to the ends of the torso. How in the world can you say your head would be leaning more if the butt was closer to the middle of your body. And by the way, I hold the rifle butt on my pectoral muscle as close to the center of my chest as is comfortable. I barely tilt my head and my pectoral muscle absorbs the recoil. You might want to read an anatomy book-WITH PICTURES!!! LMAO

I know this was 10 years ago but I just read this and have to comment. Maybe you noticed that your neck and head are in the middle of your torso. The shoulder is closer to the ends of the torso. How in the world can you say your head would be leaning more if the butt was closer to the middle of your body. And by the way, I hold the rifle butt on my pectoral muscle as close to the center of my chest as is comfortable. I barely tilt my head and my pectoral muscle absorbs the recoil. You might want to read an anatomy book-WITH PICTURES!!! LMAO

I know this post is only 19min old, but you’re an asshole.

I have grown up shooting with the butt stock in the pocket of my shoulder. It has worked well for me in multiple shooting positions. I recent saw a video from MDT that suggested to put it closer to the neck or midline of the body. The clip below also suggests putting closer to the neck.

My 2-cents are as long as you as are getting good groups, stable, repeatable, and comfortable you could probably place the butt of the stock anywhere between the neck and shooting pocket.