• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question regarding Varget loads for 22-250 using 50 grain V-Max

barryaclarke

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2012
Bourbonnais, IL
I want to play with a few new loads for my 22-250 using Varget and 50 grain V-Max. Last year the results were great with 36 grains of Varget, but many comments show as the loads getting hotter towards the top of the maximum, the groups tend to get smaller. This is where a question comes in. The Hodgdon manual shows a maximum of 36.4 grains of Varget using a 50 grain V-Max while the latest Lyman manual shows a maximum of 38 grains of Varget with a 52 grain A-Max. Since the V-Max and A-Max are almost one of the same except for the two grain difference which would be in the favor of the V-Max, these two maximum loads seems like a big discrepancy? Also, I see many shooters using loads that are more in line with the Lyman manual. Any advice and/or should I just keep working my way up from maybe 36.5 grains since Lyman shows a load of 38 grains and I am already at 36 grains?…............……

Just work your way up. I think in the latest Hornady book the max for the 55 Vmax is like 36.5 or something like that. The easiest thing is to just work your way up and look for pressure signs.

Just work your way up. I think in the latest Hornady book the max for the 55 Vmax is like 36.5 or something like that. The easiest thing is to just work your way up and look for pressure signs.

^^THIS^^

I ran 36.0 gr with a 55 gr. SGK spire point, yielding 3780 fps. It shot 1/2 MOA

I take that back. It says 34.6 grains of Varget is the max for a 55 grain V max. Probably doesn't help you much but thought I would correct myself.

I was using 37.2grn Varget for the 52amax,
Winchester brass, bullit seated long, great accuracy and only just starting to flatten primers out a little.

Currently using 40.5grn (case FULL!) with a 40grn vmax crunched on top,
Shoots like a laser out to 300yrds, excellent for vermin control.
about 4100fps IIRC without checking my notes.

Because its my hunting rifle, I've used the loads winter/summer and never had any temperature issues. Love Varget for this reason!
just do your work-ups and let YOUR rifle tell you what it likes :)

I run 34.1gr of Varget in my 250 with a 55gr Nosler BT very consistent with temp variations from 115 to 20.