• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question - RVN era scopes

81STFACP

DRB 1234, P100, HM - XC, LR
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2006
Austin, TX
Did the Marines use the Redfield 3-9 on their M14 sniper rifles, like they did on their M40s? Or maybe another question, Did the Marines field any M14 sniper rifles in RVN? If so, what scopes did they use?

TIA

The M14 or M21 which is the sniper version didn't use the Redfield, it used the ART Leatherwood (Automatic Ranging telescope). The Redfield was put on the M-40. There were a few Marines who used the M21, but it never was standard issue for the Marines as far as I know.

If Marines used anything on the M14 it would have been the Starlight Scope which came with mounts for the M14 and M16.

The Marines did use some M1941's which was the Springfield 1903a3 set up for the Unerital scopes.

The Marines did use some M1941's which was the Springfield 1903a3 set up for the Unerital scopes.

The USMC M1941 sniper rifle, mounting a Unertl scope, was built using a M1903 Springfield.

The M1903A3 rifle was modified to attach a short, receiver mounted scope- the modified rifle was designated as M1903A4.
(Springfield Armory didn`t manufacture M1903A3 rifles- they were only manufactured by Remington and Smith Corona, and all data indicates that only Remington manufactured M1903A4 rifles)

In the `One Round War` photos show some M1903A4 rifles mounting M84 scopes that the captions note as being issued early in the U.S. involvement in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Sorry I stand corrected. DV is right, the Marines used the 1903's the Army used the 1903a3's.

My bad guess I'm gonna have to send my CMP GSM MI card back if I can't keep the rules straight.

I have tried to get a handle on exactly what was used on early M14 scoped rifles, especially in VN and shortly after. There is much conflicting information out there.

There is an unaltered XM21 in Australia but all I can recall about it is that it had a oblong knob, vs round, to secure the mount. Some sources insist that the Art 1 was not fully ready in time to be used in Nam but others say it was used. I have a numbered mount which was supposedily military and it accepts a M1C mount and scope on an M14. Was this tried as the XM21 was being developed?

Personally, I am in the fog about what was used on the M14s prior to our exit of VN.