• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: Scope height - ring height

71cars

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Valencia, CA
Question, I have a Suarez Tactical 308 with an M-24 Bartlein barrel. It has a Nightforce base rail with 20 moa. I am putting on a US Optics 5x25-58 TPAL with 35mm tube. Anyone know what the lowest ring size will work? I am thinking maybe 1"? Thanks, Jay

Re: Question: Scope height - ring height

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71cars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I have a Suarez Tactical 308 with an M-24 Bartlein barrel. It has a Nightforce base rail with 20 moa. I am putting on a US Optics 5x25-58 TPAL with 35mm tube. Anyone know what the lowest ring size will work? I am thinking maybe 1"? Thanks, Jay </div></div>
Every owner of a rifle should know how to accurately measure the the height required to mount a scope, period. Rifle, base, and ring combinations all vary and while what will work for some may or may not work for you. You also need to consider that while it's usually best to mount the scope as low as possible, it's more important that you have a solid cheekweld and sight picture through the scope. Facial features also determine where your eye lines-up behind the scope, but the Objective Housing diameter of your USO is probably going play a larger role in determining the required ring height. 58mm USOs' are beasts and you're going to need really tall rings to accomodate your 35mm tube 5-25X[58mm] T-PAL on that rifle.

Read <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">palmik</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly"</span></span> post and you should be able to measure and order rings of the proper height that will <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">work for you</span></span></span>. And unless you're going to be running a really tall base like a "Gantry", even without looking at your rifle and base I know that 1" rings are going to be too low to work with your 35mm tube 5-25X[58mm] T-PAL.

Keith

I believe he should be fine with the 1". It's the base to the center of tube measurement just like a 34 or 30 so the tube size shouldn't matter.

Not the best pic but this is a 34mm tube S&B 5-25x56 on a Badger base, which is about the same height as the NF, in 1" height Badger rings with a M24/M40 contour barrel.

P1010078-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he should be fine with the 1". It's the base to the center of tube measurement just like a 34 or 30 so the tube size shouldn't matter.

Not the best pic but this is a 34mm tube S&B 5-25x56 on a Badger base, which is about the same height as the NF, in 1" height Badger rings with a M24/M40 contour barrel.

P1010078-1.jpg
</div></div>
I mention the tube size as a matter of course. However, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">71cars</span></span> is mounting a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">58mm Objective 5-25X USO T-PAL</span></span>. You may recall that the Objective on a USO is considerably larger than the Objective Lens diameter itself so I think that at the least it will be very close.

Keith

Thanks very much for your help and the photo. I think the 1" rings will be perfect. Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71cars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I have a Suarez Tactical 308 with an M-24 Bartlein barrel. It has a Nightforce base rail with 20 moa. I am putting on a US Optics 5x25-58 TPAL with 35mm tube. Anyone know what the lowest ring size will work? I am thinking maybe 1"? Thanks, Jay </div></div>
Every owner of a rifle should know how to accurately measure the the height required to mount a scope, period. Rifle, base, and ring combinations all vary and while what will work for some may or may not work for you. You also need to consider that while it's usually best to mount the scope as low as possible, it's more important that you have a solid cheekweld and sight picture through the scope. Facial features also determine where your eye lines-up behind the scope, but the Objective Housing diameter of your USO is probably going play a larger role in determining the required ring height. 58mm USOs' are beasts and you're going to need really tall rings to accomodate your 35mm tube 5-25X[58mm] T-PAL on that rifle.

Read <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">palmik</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly"</span></span> post and you should be able to measure and order rings of the proper height that will <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">work for you</span></span></span>. And unless you're going to be running a really tall base like a "Gantry", even without looking at your rifle and base I know that 1" rings are going to be too low to work with your 35mm tube 5-25X[58mm] T-PAL.

Keith</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71cars</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71cars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I have a Suarez Tactical 308 with an M-24 Bartlein barrel. It has a Nightforce base rail with 20 moa. I am putting on a US Optics 5x25-58 TPAL with 35mm tube. Anyone know what the lowest ring size will work? I am thinking maybe 1"? Thanks, Jay </div></div>

FYI: 1" Seekins rings installed and work perfect with my USO 5x25-58 with 35mm tube.

Keith</div></div> </div></div>

FYI: 1" Seekins rings installed and work perfect with my USO 5x25-58 with 35mm tube.