• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question: Selling a Used Supressor

abn_surfer

Vaya con Dios
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2009
    Coastal South-East
    I have a Silencerco pistol suppressor that I have not used in years and forgot I even had it. I would like to know if/how I can sell it since I do not use it. It has been a minute since I was in the NFA game and I can only assume that the process is just as painful(or more so) as I remember it to be when I bought it.

Any info is appreciated

Thank you.

Unless you have some super rare (which I doubt if it's a Silencerco) suppressor, it will very hard to sell a suppressor. You will basically be holding it until the new owner gets approved. And you will have to sell it super cheap for it to be worth it for the buyer.

Unless you have some super rare (which I doubt if it's a Silencerco) suppressor, it will very hard to sell a suppressor. You will basically be holding it until the new owner gets approved. And you will have to sell it super cheap for it to be worth it for the buyer.
    So what is the process of selling it?

As above private sale in state. Or Form 4 to a dealer (can be in any state. $200, but usually approved in 30-60 days) then dealer can sell to another dealer (Form 3) or an individual via Form 4 ($200).

As you can see, the $200-$400 vig makes used suppressors a niche market….

ZY

Last edited:
    Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    You might see if you have a dealer in your area - especially if they have a range that is willing to purchase it from you. A used can is already going to take a hit price wise, it may be easier than trying to sell to an individual in your state.

Reactions: abn_surfer
    If a dealer tries to buy a nfa item from an individual could they transfer it on a form 3
    To transfer to a dealer would require a form 4. Once the dealer has it, it should be back on a form 3 and then could be transferred as any other suppressor.

I have always thought, once on a F4 it will always stay on a F4 no matter who transfers it.

I have always thought, once on a F4 it will always stay on a F4 no matter who transfers it.
    So the terminology may be root cause of the confusion. A form 3 is the application form used to transfer from one SOT to another whether it be manufacturer or dealer. Once an item is in the SOTs inventory, a transfer to another SOT doesn't require the $200 fee and that is why the form 3 application is used. Transferring to a non SOT uses a form 4 and requires the $200 fee. It is funky that transferring back to an SOT requires the $200 fee but that is the case.

Reactions: ZY100