• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question shooting a suppressed ar-10 carbine

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
If I was going to shoot my AR-10 carbine with a full size suppresor...yes, its direct gas system.....how dirty will this thing get?

After 500 rounds it takes me an hour of cleaning to get the fouling out of the lugs and BCG etc. I know this will make it worse but will this just make it rediculous?

Thanks

Re: Question shooting a suppressed ar-10 carbine

It will be a lot dirtier.

It will be worth it though.

Same answer as the ones given in your previous thread about removing the permanently pinned Armalite muzzle brake.

It will get MUCH dirtier MUCH faster with the can installed. It is the nature of the beast (especially with a DI gun) and there is no way to avoid it. In terms of HOW dirty...it is difficult to quantify, but I can tell you it will depend on the ammo you are running, the specific suppressor you are using, etc., etc.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get 500rnds through it with the can installed before you experience the need to clean it (at least partially) or lube the hell out of it and hope she keeps running.

Also, don't forget that you MAY need/want a heavier buffer depending on the ammo you are using as the can will increase the pressures which in turn increased the amount of general wear/tear on the rifle, broken bolt catches, etc., etc. A heavier buffer will help to slow things down a bit and "take the edge" off. You can achieve the same results with an adjustable gas block (in combination with the heavier buffer or by itself). You also may want to invest in a Gasbuster charging handle or take the RTV route to prevent getting hit in the face with blowback.

If you can get your mind around having a perpetually dirty rifle, that you just relube and shoot more often than clean, you will enjoy shooting WAY more. If you gotta stay clean, stay loud. Quiet is dirty. I don't mind dirty.

I have an Armalite AR-10 DMR with a Yankee Hill Can. It gets dirtier, there is no way around that. Cleaning is cleaning, get use to it and just make sure you go through the upper receiver with some good cleaner, and spray the lower housing the trigger group area.

F£ck it....I'm going to run it suppressed. Figure I'll just shoot it dripping wet with lube and some well positioned grease and go have a grand ol time.

I can't wait to see the difference in sound suppression......the 16in barrel in conjunction with the Standard brake makes shooting without a can a loud rig.

Thanks for the info gents.