• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question-Stainless chips vs pins

stilts75

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Fremont, CA
Hello,
I recently made the switch from stainless pins to chips. Guess I just got tired of removing stuck pins from the flash holes and necks. I had read others had success with the chips. I have a few (5 hour) washings of brass behind me now and I must admit that it is nice, not having to deal with stuck pins. I’m not 100% sure it’s better. I think the pins do a better job of cleaning the primer pocket. I might add a small amount of pins back into the tumbler barrel and see if it helps.
My question is, how are you chip guys separating the media after cleaning the brass. With pins, I use to use a Dillon media separator and tub. I tried that with the chips and they are so small that it’s problematic to clean up and get them all back into the tumbler. Then I tried removing and rinsing the cases 1 by 1. It worked with minimal handling or loss of pins but took forever.
What am I missing here? How are those of you using chips doing the separation?
Thanks in advance. Jim

I still use SS pins and use the FA wet/dry media separator. I abruptly change the direction I spin the basket in the rinse cycle numerous times to shake pins loose/out of the cases, changing the water a couple times as well. So far, I've not found any pins in cases after drying them and reloading. Not tried the chips but have been considering the idea for giggles. I've also found it's easier on me to get the heavy primer pocket residue out before going in the tumbler using a powered case prep setup with different pocket cleaner tools, then the pins finish them off very well.

Reactions: stilts75
While not a direct answer to your question, I’ve stopped using any media in wet tumbler. Just soap and water.

Haven’t been able to observe any difference in shiny clean brass from media vs pretty clean via non media. Also haven’t been able to find a difference in decapped and cleaned vs cleaning with primers still in and decapping during sizing.

Jim Tn
It will happen eventually. They stick during tumbling and you will need needle nose pliers to remove them.

AdamB
A gentleman from 6mmbr turned me on to this place.

DThomas
Are your primer pockets as clean as the outside of your brass without media?

The pockets aren’t completely clean. But as I mentioned, I can’t find (and haven’t met anyone who can) find a performance difference in a perfectly clean vs not cleaned at all primer pocket.

I was using pins, then gave chips a try. I use the RCBS media separator. Works fine.

I don't obsess over shiny brass, so long as it is clean. Deprime. Hot water from the tap, Squirt of dawn, pinch of lemishine. 45 minutes. Drain. Repeat.
Best lot of cleaned brass was by accident. I left brass tumbling for about 5 hours or so. It was spotless and looked like virgin brass inside.

Tried a batch of 100 Lapua SRP 6.5Cr in chips instead of pins, the brass came out looking like it had been sandblasted. The chips are sharp and had abraded the surface. Is that normal?

Still gonna send it!