• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Question: Taking a rifle to Mexico

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
I was recently invited to a buddies hunting ranch about an hour south of the border. I've been told so far that I have to use the supplied rifles at this ranch due to the current laws. No offense to him but they are major fudd guns from the sound of things.

I would very much like to bring my own rifle that I have data, experience with, custom hunting load etc.

My question, has anyone ever done this? If so what measures do I need to take to ensure a smooth crossing both ways?

Re: Question: Taking a rifle to Mexico

Ummm, ok. Anymore insight on this? i.e. the five w's of this form?

Remember, no past or present military calibers: 223, .308,.30-06, etc., etc.

Good luck

Jerry

I went through something similar when hunting in Canada. We went to a US Customs office and had our rifles documented. By that I mean they took the serial numbers/caliber/physical desription of the guns and maybe the scopes (can't remember), recorded them and then issued us a small 3x6 receipt that showed the above information along with a US seal. They were very nice about it all. That's what we needed to get into Cananda but don't know what it would take to get into Mexico.

rogue308;

Been there, done that, know the area enough not to keep quiet regarding advice to a fellow hunter.

Traditionally, when you are going south of the border, either the landowner or the outfitter (sometimes the same person), will receive you at the bridge and help you with the gun crossings, this is a pretty involved process, that includes rigorous check up of the guns by the military, they will look and right the serial number of each gun and verify that you are carrying only the amount of ammo aloud by the gvt., (I believe 100 cartridges).
Rarely this is done for a single person, and usually is limited to opening day.

My recommendation (and the following is not meant to be disrespectful to you)
DONT DO IT.

In spite of what you hear, from your friends, the situation along the border states is to unstable.

Why do I know?, I live in south Texas and was born in a Coahuila border town and grew up hunting all those ranches.

JV

I've read it's a piece of cake to get guns into Mexico. Even the ATF sends stuff.
wink.gif

why dont you get a posse together and just hunt the boarder for.........well you know

Sled dog, killswitch;

Are you serious, this guy is asking for some realtime "insight".

Moderators take notice

JV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyotero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sled dog, killswitch;

Moderators take notice

JV </div></div>
Boo hoo hoo. My heart is breaking over offending your sensibilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyotero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sled dog, killswitch;

Moderators take notice

JV </div></div>
Boo hoo hoo. My heart is breaking over offending your sensibilities. </div></div>

LIKE! hahaha!

Rogue, I guide down in mexico, This is how it is done:

you will have to start your paperwork early, you DONT just show up to the bridge.

You will have to send your TXDL,rifle model/make/serial number/and caliber to the landowner

the landowner will then go to ANGADI.. this is the organization that controls all the hunting permits. The landowner will request a "temporary gun import permit" and will provide all the information above to them.. they then file with mexican army.

Once the paper work is ready you will be charged a fee, somewhere around $50 u.s., make sure your landowner double checks to make sure the serial/make/model/caliber is correct you will get in trouble if you show up to the bridge and have it messed up.

Once the paper work is verified you will be able to bring your rifle and 100 rounds of ammo into the country for the duration of the deer season.

After the papers are done you can now show up to the bridge and the landowner will greet and mexican army will check-in your gun. pretty simple..

Let me know if you need more info, I guide down there am very familiar with this process.

as far as calibers go, a .223 is the only one I believe is not allowed, .308, 30-06, are good to go.

This is what I needed. Thanks.

Make sure to cover all bases. A few years ago a couple of college kids from Lafayette La spent some Quality Time in a small cell because they tried to slip over the border with shotguns while on a dove hunting trip.

as inviting as it sounds, me personally, i'd avoid mexico for a (long) while. I just had some 4 wheeling buddies that do a yearly trip in baja, they drive down on established roads and trails. there were 10 trucks, all are impounded, and the group just got home. they were approached by what they thought were federales but turned out to be "pirates" of sorts, at a campsite at night. none of them had firearms, and by a strange stroke of "luck" the activity of the "raid" was noticed by real Federales and police looking to curtail some drug trafficking. The 4 wheeling group got lumped in with the idiots, took a while (too long IMO) to separate the wheat from the chaff, and I honestly feel they are VERY lucky to be back home, alive, and without their gear. Have yet to see if they get their trucks back. they were sent home with clothes and trash bags. ALL gear was confiscated. I wish i had more details i could divulge, but i've likely said too much on the web anyway.

Mexico is BAAAAAD mmkay?