• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions aboit CLE

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    . I posted yesterday about an extra lower I had, and what cal you would choose. Lot of good answers, but I think I want to go with a precision build or recce in 5.56/.223
    I'm looking on CLE site. They have a recon and a tactical barrel, that look identical, the tactical barrels come in different lengths. They also have match and service barrels. So my question is...what would you choose? Longest shots I would be making would be 450-500 yards. With the vast majority being between 100-300 yards. Want to target shoot, and possibly put my night vision scope on it for yotes. Id like to keep it under 10 pounds. Also, is there a big accuracy difference in the tactical/recon vs the match/service at those ranges?

CLE is a great barrel shop. We use them fir a lot of both custom and production barrel work that is precision or complex.

But don’t over-think a gas gun. If you are looking at something other than 5.56mm, you might be better off buying a production rifle.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    The Recon, SPR, and Tactical barrels are very similar, but it amounts to the Ops Inc collar. If you need it, it's a Recon or SPR. Tactical is the same contour minus the step down for that collar. Match and service barrels tend to be 1" under the handguard and 20" with rifle gas length.

I have a 16" technically Tactical barrel with mid-length gas in a Douglas 1:7 blank with CLE chamber. I'm pushing 75/77s around 2625 fps under 1/2 MOA for 3 to 5 shots. I've pushed it to 2,700 fps, but there wasn't much use. That's plenty for 600 yards for what I do. It's not too long or heavy with a can. For weight, it is just under 10 pounds with the NF 4-16x42 in a Spuhr with Magpul ACS-L and harris bipod. Muffler and loaded 20 rounds mag would put you up to around 12 pounds.

Give CLE a call. They are awesome to work with.

Reactions: BCP and Jsp556
    . I posted yesterday about an extra lower I had, and what cal you would choose. Lot of good answers, but I think I want to go with a precision build or recce in 5.56/.223
    I'm looking on CLE site. They have a recon and a tactical barrel, that look identical, the tactical barrels come in different lengths. They also have match and service barrels. So my question is...what would you choose? Longest shots I would be making would be 450-500 yards. With the vast majority being between 100-300 yards. Want to target shoot, and possibly put my night vision scope on it for yotes. Id like to keep it under 10 pounds. Also, is there a big accuracy difference in the tactical/recon vs the match/service at those ranges?
    The tactical barrel would be what you want for a recce build. Go with the wylde chamber, as it works we either 223 or 556. The CLE chamber can be picky.

also you will probably get a little more out of the barrel if CLE matches a bolt and dose the assembly.

Yep call them. They can do whatever you want. I’ve been on the phone yesterday with crystal and today with Theresa. Both super nice ladies. They open at 7am on Monday.

The Recon, SPR, and Tactical barrels are very similar, but it amounts to the Ops Inc collar. If you need it, it's a Recon or SPR. Tactical is the same contour minus the step down for that collar. Match and service barrels tend to be 1" under the handguard and 20" with rifle gas length.

I have a 16" technically Tactical barrel with mid-length gas in a Douglas 1:7 blank with CLE chamber. I'm pushing 75/77s around 2625 fps under 1/2 MOA for 3 to 5 shots. I've pushed it to 2,700 fps, but there wasn't much use. That's plenty for 600 yards for what I do. It's not too long or heavy with a can. For weight, it is just under 10 pounds with the NF 4-16x42 in a Spuhr with Magpul ACS-L and harris bipod. Muffler and loaded 20 rounds mag would put you up to around 12 pounds.

Give CLE a call. They are awesome to work with.
    Awesome, dude thank you for the information! I will probably go with the tactical. You threw me off with the collar comment. I'm in NY, so ive never even really looked up cans. Do you happen to know the weight of the barrel? I called CLE and they said "around 2 pounds." I was between a douglass and a criterion. Leaning more towards douglass. I have an aero precision at with a nikon 3x9 with empty mag it weighs just over 7 pounds. I really like the weight of it. Especially up here in the winter when I'm hunting. Snow gets knee deep. Great shooting btw

The tactical barrel would be what you want for a recce build. Go with the wylde chamber, as it works we either 223 or 556. The CLE chamber can be picky.

also you will probably get a little more out of the barrel if CLE matches a bolt and dose the assembly.
    Looked last night. They match a bolt for a smokin deal. I have a criterion, and a matched bolt was almost double the price.

CLE also has lighter weight contours that they don't list, but have drawings & programs for it you want something lighter & don't care if its "real" Recce or Tactical contour.

You're going to wait, but at least you will eventually get your barrel from CLE.

Might check where WOA is right now on delivery; Ranier's UltraMatch 2 barrels come & go in stock, & Craddock is out to more than 14 weeks; not sure where Criterion is right now. All are outstanding products.

MM

If your hunting in the snow. And your in NY. I would get the mk12/ spr and make it 22 inches long. No threads. Its much quieter than the shorter barrels. Wear ear protection but we all know how that goes out there in the field. :rolleyes: I went 22" with a Kreiger from CLE. If your wanting the weight down you can get a titanium gas block. That saves a ounce. Use a shorter hand guard. That will save a couple ounces and makes up for the longer quieter and lots more powerful barrel. On a hunting rig the main place to save weight is your scope. Leupold 4x or 6x weight a POUND less than some that guys think they have to have at the range. They are great hunting scopes.

If your hunting in the snow. And your in NY. I would get the mk12/ spr and make it 22 inches long. No threads. Its much quieter than the shorter barrels. Wear ear protection but we all know how that goes out there in the field. :rolleyes: I went 22" with a Kreiger from CLE. If your wanting the weight down you can get a titanium gas block. That saves a ounce. Use a shorter hand guard. That will save a couple ounces and makes up for the longer quieter and lots more powerful barrel. On a hunting rig the main place to save weight is your scope. Leupold 4x or 6x weight a POUND less than some that guys think they have to have at the range. They are great hunting scopes.
    I had a cheap leupold vx1 3-9 on 17 hmr bolt. That scope was one of the best ive ever had. no idea why I got rid of it.

Wait you can make a .223 more powerful with a longer barrel?

I am building a very similar rifle and went with a complete WOA upper at 20”. Main reason for a 20 over 16” was to get a rifle length gas tube. Theoretically, it’ll translate to a smoother shooting rifle. Plus another hundred FPS won’t hurt.

Also the WOA upper was $715. Can’t get a CLE for anywhere near the same price. If there is an accuracy difference, I’m not good enough to notice. WOA quoted me 8-12 weeks. Super excited to get it in. I want to say its a Wilson blank, but I’m not positive on that.

Upper in question:

I am building a very similar rifle and went with a complete WOA upper at 20”. Main reason for a 20 over 16” was to get a rifle length gas tube. Theoretically, it’ll translate to a smoother shooting rifle. Plus another hundred FPS won’t hurt.

Also the WOA upper was $715. Can’t get a CLE for anywhere near the same price. If there is an accuracy difference, I’m not good enough to notice. WOA quoted me 8-12 weeks. Super excited to get it in. I want to say its a Wilson blank, but I’m not positive on that.

Upper in question:
    CLE raised their pricing late 2019 early 2020. They were less then WO

16" is all you need, a few years ago I built one with a rainier shilen barrel and it was a shooter. I'm sure a douglas from CLE would shoot similarly. Most of these barrels that shoot well are medium/heavy contours though. If you want lightweight it's more of a roll of the dice I've tried a couple from AR STONER (midway) and Larue and neither shot as well as I hoped.

CLE makes great barrels. I have a $100 gift card from them if you need one. save you a few bucks. I just ordered a few barrels from them so dont think i will need it for a while.