• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

questions about 338 Rem Ultra Mag

308boltgun

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2013
NJ
I found a rifle at the local shop, Remington 700 stainless in 338 Rem Ultra Mag. I dont know anything about this caliber. The rifle is real nice, fluted heavy barrel, perfectly fitted muzzle break nice stock and the price is OK. I want to use it for long range hunting and possibly some 1000 yard F class matches.

Does anyone have any experience with this caliber and any opinions?

Thanks

th is is a very accurate caliber ...Try the 285 hornandy with 869 powder . I have that caliber and was competing in the long range comp...I did very well shooting out to 2200 yards and was able to shoot it very consistant But I have a 29.5 barrel lenght my velocity 2875. I really was very happy how it did with wind also... Give it a try.

I run a 338 rum w/ a 26" rock 5r barrel. 2600fps w/ a 300gr SMK (mild load). Shot a 196-7x at a 600y f-class match. Very easy to load for and does very well in the accuracy department. If you want a big 338 and dont want to pay lapua brass prices, go for it.

The 338RUM is a dern good cartridge, especially in the long range hunting world. The RUM I just tore down was slinging the 300SMK's @ 2780fps with Retumbo. Keep in mind, as any large capacity cartridge, the RUM does not work very well through AI mags. 3.600 just isn't enough IMHO. I did it for a while & @ 90.0 grains, it was severely compressed.

The RUM, Lapua & Edge all run within ~ 150fps (sometimes faster, sometimes slower) of each other. The RUM brass can be a PITA to find everyonce in a while but my stash is holding up pretty well to repeated firings.

The RUM is pretty underrated IMHO, works great, kills quick & can buck the wind like a champ. All with inexpensive brass & a Magnum bolt face; what's not to love?

t

Yep, tough to fit the 300 bergers at mag length, but the 300 SMK are doable.
Cheaper dies and brass compared to the 338 lapua. Factory ammo available vs the 338 edge.
Mine should be done one of these months... :)

Yep, tough to fit the 300 bergers at mag length, but the 300 SMK are doable.
Cheaper dies and brass compared to the 338 lapua. Factory ammo available vs the 338 edge.
Mine should be done one of these months... :)

Yeah, I was running the AICS mags w/the 300SMK's. It is definitely doable, just seriously restricted.

Uses a standard remy mag action?

I honestly can't answer that. Both of my RUM's started as RUM actions. The RUM does run a slightly rebated rim to use a standard mag bolt face but I can't recall if the standard mag action is the same or not. OAL is the same for sure but I don't know if there are modifications to the mag area.

t

Thanks for all the comments. I got the rifle, now if anyone has any 338 RUM ammo or brass....

Thanks for all the comments. I got the rifle...

Congrats! It's a fun caliber that will definitely go the distance. fyi, I believe brakes are typically not allowed at F-class matches, at least official ones. Informal/local matches may let you use it though. Without a brake you better be ready to take a beating! Some F-class guys are using hydraulic shock absorber setups to make it easier to shoot 60 rounds of magnum ammo. There are some good bullets for this caliber, like the 300gr berger, the 300gr SMK, and the 285gr hornady. I've been using 50BMG surplus powder to make it a little more economical to shoot. I don't get full velocity (only 2700fps), but 100gr of powder is $0.50 at retail prices.

The flash hider does come off so I have to make a thread protector for it.
Can you be more specific about the 50BMG powder, that sounds like an excellent idea. I have brass coming (thanks to T. J. ) , found some dies on fleabay and got some bullets from another hide member.