• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Questions about Leupold 6.5 - 20

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
Experts-
I have a 700 in 308 with a 10x SS on a one piece standard Leupold base and medium rings. I just ordered a Leupold Mark 4 6.5 - 20x50mm LR/T M1 (hello ramen noodles!) to replace the SS and have 2 questions.
1. Will it fit in the same rings and base? Or will it be too large and hit the barrel?

2. The base has no MOA which was fine with the SS's 120 MOA adjustment. I had no issues at 1000 yards and beyond. The Leupold has 70 MOA of adjustment. Will I need to shim or replace it or is 70 enough?

Thanks all!

Re: Questions about Leupold 6.5 - 20

Depend on your current ring.

What is the main distance that you will shoot?

If you always shoot @ over 600 yards, I recommend to change a new base. Sometime the scope have enough elevation to adjust. But just imagine that the spring inside will not stay in proper place as let them center by using the proper base.

This is just my opinion, I always use try to use the proper tool with suitable situation.

Medium Ring + Picatiny Based will not make your new 50mm scope to hit with their barrel.

I also using Leupold 50mm + Picatiny Based + Medium Ring. But there is only a small gap between your scope and barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Experts-
I have a 700 in 308 with a 10x SS on a one piece standard Leupold base and medium rings. I just ordered a Leupold Mark 4 6.5 - 20x50mm LR/T M1 (hello ramen noodles!) to replace the SS and have 2 questions.
1. Will it fit in the same rings and base? Or will it be too large and hit the barrel?

2. The base has no MOA which was fine with the SS's 120 MOA adjustment. I had no issues at 1000 yards and beyond. The Leupold has 70 MOA of adjustment. Will I need to shim or replace it or is 70 enough?

Thanks all! </div></div>

Experts not needed....put your thinking cap on.

Question 1: I used the BC chart under Optic's FAQ above, and googled Butler Creek, when to their website where they give the ID of each of their flip up covers. So.....

SS 10x42 uses a BC # 30 objective cover (1.960")

Leupold 6.5-20x50mm uses a BC #43 objective cover (2.310")

So the Leupold will sit: 2.310-1.960= 0.35"/2= 0.175" lower

So how much clearance do you currently have? If greater than 0.175" it will fit. If not it won't fit.

Question 2:

Since you have no issues @ 1k Yds now, I presume you have a drop chart, somewhere, cause it's hard to shoot @ 1Kyds and hit anything without one. What's your drop chart say as far as how many MOA it takes to get there now?

Hint: If your adjustment is greater then 35 MOA, then you need to shim, if not, then you don't.

See you already had all the information necessary to answer your questions. No experts need.....

Regards,

Bob

Thanks all! I didn't want to assume anything and be wrong. Looks like I'll need to shim for the time being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Experts-

Thanks all! </div></div>

Experts not needed....put your thinking cap on.

Question 1: I used the BC chart under Optic's FAQ above, and googled Butler Creek, when to their website where they give the ID of each of their flip up covers. So.....

SS 10x42 uses a BC # 30 objective cover (1.960")

Leupold 6.5-20x50mm uses a BC #43 objective cover (2.310")

So the Leupold will sit: 2.310-1.960= 0.35"/2= 0.175" lower

So how much clearance do you currently have? If greater than 0.175" it will fit. If not it won't fit.

Question 2:

Since you have no issues @ 1k Yds now, I presume you have a drop chart, somewhere, cause it's hard to shoot @ 1Kyds and hit anything without one. What's your drop chart say as far as how many MOA it takes to get there now?

Hint: If your adjustment is greater then 35 MOA, then you need to shim, if not, then you don't.

See you already had all the information necessary to answer your questions. No experts need.....

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for the wake up Bob. Thanks to the internet, we (me) get lazy and stop using our noodles.

</div></div>