• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about military snipers I have always wanted to ask....

idiot face

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
Utah
Alright...these will likely be some basic questions but I have always wanted to know the following:

-Can a US Military Sniper use any rifle/optic platform? I was under the impression that Army Infantry Sniper up to most Ranger Battalions had to use the M24 or M110, or .50. Marine scout snipers and SEAL teams had to use M40-A5 or .50.

Is this true or can they run anything they want as long as it is .308 .300WM .338 LM or .50?

Thanks

No you cannot use anything you want, but most units have more than one type of system.

When you get deeper into the Special Operations community, they have the ability to try things and will test or bring in stuff on a limited scale, but it's not a open invitation to run to the local shop and just grab what you want off the shelf. Also why would you want to beat up your own shit.

The variety is pretty good, as an example you mentioned Rangers and SEALs, they get stuff from Crane, so they have access to the Mk12, Mk11, Mk13, the .50, along with a variety of optics, but that doesn't mean you have 20 guys with 20 different scopes, consider how dumb that would be. You might see two or 3 different scopes on the same weapon platform, but still those are from the unit. The Mk 12 has a scope, the Mk11 a different one, the Mk13, a different one, usually all some kind of NF, but I have seen S&B and definitely Leupold. When the Horus first got into the military you saw a variety, their crappy Hakkos, then USO, then S&B, etc.

Big Army has less flexibility, same with the USMC. You get what they give you, the more rank you have, the easier it is to cherry pick the best stuff the armory might have on hand.

We had a choice between issued weapons, to choose which weapons fit the mission requirement. We had available, the M24, M110, Barrett, and something that resembled a MK12. I always chose to carry the 24 or Mk12. I loved guys that chose the .50, because it meant I didn't have to carry that huge, inaccurate burden. We had OP just south of Sadr on a 13 story building. The same guy had to carry the .50 up those stairs....I still feel sorry for him.

I loved guys that chose the .50, because it meant I didn't have to carry that huge, inaccurate burden.
There are always those guys that choose the biggest while others around them snicker to themselves...watch this HAHAHAHAHA!

Iraq, screw the 107, in Afghanistan, it was split up and on every mission, even with our 2010s. You learn to appreciate the .50 when you get to utilize it to do what it really shines at, reaching people who didn't think they could be reached. Even if you weren't making hits, the psychological effect on the bad guys was useful as was doing a recon by fire.

We had our 24's, 107's, 110's, 2010's, EBR's, Old version M14's, and a SPR to choose and utilize; we were lucky.

The rifle that we used had an option of 3 different optics, however our unit only wanted to purchase one specific one. We wanted to dump the S&B for the NF, but it all came down to $$$.