• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Questions about Near Infrared Textile Technology, or ECWCS Gen III

Monmouth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2012
Monmouth, NJ
I often take a look through this particular forum to see how the technology improves and to marvel at the expense of your optics. How effective is the near infrared tech clothing? I was Google'ing rain gear in multicam and read about the ECWCS system and was curious what it looks like through one of your IR optics? I saw videos, not sure if they are "real" about how they put fabric over tanks to reduce the signature and if they are real, impressive.

Well, as far as tanks and shit go, we have these camo nets that either absorb or disperse IR radiation so that you can't see what's underneath, makes the net blend in much better with the environment under NODs (and I'm guessing thermal, never tried it out) and supposedly makes it difficult for laser guided weapons to lock on.

I know they are a lot different than the old camo nets and that they do something, but as to what and what degree I'm not sure.

New uniforms are treated for fire resistance and have insect repellent in them and IIRC, they also blend in better under NODs. The uniforms come in a variety of tiers though, some don't have the IR treatment, some don't have the fire resistance, etc. Hope that helps.

As to the cold weather gear, I haven't seen any at the surplus stores yet but haven't been in a while. I do know they have a newer cold weather setup but not sure what all it does.

Best thing to do is to take a set of NODs and just lay out what you have and look at them that way, preferably outside so you can see if they blend in or stand out against foliage.

*Note: washing with regular detergents, or more specifically any detergent with optical brighteners such as phosphorous compounds can and will cause your material to "glow" under NODs, so be aware. They need to be washed in a plain detergent with no additives or optical brighteners; ideally they should be washed in a detergent that has no perfumes either.