• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Questions about protecting observation devices while transporting them.

highlighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
My questions are mostly dealing with transporting spotting scopes and related gear in two different situations, the range and in the field.

Gun range- What do you guys store your SS in to protect them while transporting them to the range? The SS I bought came with a soft neoprene case which isn't much protection against damage. The case also isn't big enough to store the tripod in. How do you guys transport your tripods?

In the field- What about in the field? How do hunters and the military protect their SS and tripods while transporting them in the field?

Got any pics of your set ups that you would like to share?

Thanks guys in advance for your advice.

I kept mine in an extended camel back pouch that was molled onto my gun bag. I kept it in the soft cushioned case. When I carried my eberlestock bag I did the same thing but in the side pouch. I added extra straps horizontally around the bag to help keep everything in place. No pictures but I hope that helped.

I kept mine in an extended camel back pouch that was molled onto my gun bag. I kept it in the soft cushioned case. When I carried my eberlestock bag I did the same thing but in the side pouch. I added extra straps horizontally around the bag to help keep everything in place. No pictures but I hope that helped.

I was thinking about going with a soft case. What about your tripod? Just throw it in your bag?

I was thinking about going with a soft case. What about your tripod? Just throw it in your bag?

Basically, yeah. My eberlestock has two side pouches for camelbacks or what-have-you. Tripod fit nicely in that.

On my gun bag I had attached the tripod's original case to it. In hindsight it was a decent setup, just a horrible case.

I only used mine a few times outside of the school. Too much of a hastle to be honest. My first one was a cheapo from walmart ($15) and my last one was a leftover from someone in my old unit. No logos on it from what I can see.

I can tell you that the walmart one sucked. It was light weight, but the piece that held the rifle broke. If you really wanted one, I would say go to a gun store or something like that. IMO it's not worth the money. You can get the same effect from some 550 cord and wooden dowels.

i use and love the bino pack from alaska guide creations. use it to store binos+rangefinder+cleaning gear. everything in one place. throw it in the ruck, once you are there, have it at your chest. no more binos-tossing on your chest, or accidental hits while you climb a rock/tree-stand

As far as binos go I used a blackhawk pouch I picked up from the local tactical store and wore it on my belt on my non-dominant side. Kept it close to me while keeping my basics readily available. I used the smaller m24 binos because that's what I was issued and never had any issues as far as protection go.

My setup

I use a Pelican 1450 case with the pluck n' pull foam to carry my spotting scope. I've had this setup for a year now and I'm very happy with it. I wasn't too impressed with the neoprene carrying case at Cabelas so I decided to use a Pelican case.

Pics: