• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Questions about rings and bases

Uncut_Teeth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2012
Colorado
Currently I have a Savage 12 BVSS (currently .22-250, going to rebarrel in .308, shooting to ~800 yards) with a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50mm, and Leupold's weird $30 ring/base combo. I'm looking to change out to some nice rings and bases, but I've got a few questions first:

What brands should I be looking at? I've got time, and I've been watching the WTS thread for rings/bases. I was thinking NightForce, Badger, Seekins, or USO, but I've just selected these based on what I've been hearing from you guys.
I know that I'm looking for about 20moa of elevation, but do I want this in the base, or in the scope? I was thinking the base, because then if I want to shoot farther it'd be easier to change out the rings than change the base. Is this thinking correct?
Is there an advantage to 1 piece rings vs 2 piece? By 1 piece I mean like those on the M40, where the rings are connected. Or is this not something I need to worry about?
I've noticed a few sets of NightForce Ultralight rings, and I was wondering if these are more designed for light-weight hunting rifles, or if they'd be acceptable for my application.

Thanks in advance,
Jonah

Badger is a good " go to " brand for rings and bases. They make quality stuff and you can find their stuff all over. 20moa on a base is pretty standard on a long range bolt gun. If you have a modern quality scope you should not have to change your rings or base to get more range, the scopes normally have plenty of elevation to get .308 to 1k even without the 20moa base. The canted base helps keep the scope optically centered at longer ranges. The Nightforce Ultralights are great rings. Your scope will probably fail before they do. 1 piece mounts are great but if you are trying to get your scope low on a pic base you will be limited by the bridge. No real advantage to 1 or 2 piece, it all depends on your build. One piece mounts are useful to induce cant on a flat rail, without connecting the rings you could not accurately mill 20moa into the rings as the cant would depend on the ring spacing.

Alright, I know my scope has 94moa of adjustment, so I guess I'm good there....

I wasn't looking to get my scope too low, since it's got a 50mm objective lens, I'm going to need high rings (haven't done the math on exactly how high I need them). That's good to know about the 1-pieces and cant, I hadn't thought about that!

I saw that sticky before I posted, I just don't know how high my base will be, so I'm missing a part of the necessary data.