• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors questions about suppressors

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
i have never owned one but would like to in the distant future
what i would like to know is if the supressor that you buy can it only be used on 1 gun and if so what would you do if you sold that gun also if you no longer wished to own 1 how would you go about selling it

Re: questions about suppressors

The suppressor is registered to you, your trust or a LLC. It can be used on any rifle that is properly threaded. (You can't us a 224 can o a 308 nor should you use a 308 win can on a magum).

You really shouldn't "plan on" selling a can. By the time you pay the trasfer fee and figure in your original stamp fee, you might as well keep it.

A removable silencer can hop from gun to gun willy nilly. While you can sell a silencer it is a money looser, no one will pay you decent money for your used silencer when they can just order a new silencer and you loose your transfer tax of $200 Buy a decent one not low bidder crap and you will not want to sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A removable silencer can hop from gun to gun willy nilly. While you can sell a silencer it is a money looser, no one will pay you decent money for your used silencer when they can just order a new silencer and you loose your transfer tax of $200 Buy a decent one not low bidder crap and you will not want to sell it. </div></div>

Words of wisdom. Listen to David.

Agree with SH and David.

We registered the first two but will do a trust on the next one. And wouldn't consider selling any of them.

Once you start shooting suppressed it's hard to go back to unsuppressed.
Your more likely to sell guns that are not suppressor friendly rather than the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you start shooting suppressed it's hard to go back to unsuppressed.
Your more likely to sell guns that are not suppressor friendly rather than the suppressor. </div></div>

+1

I don't know why I waited so long to buy a suppressor... one
of the very best firearm related purchases I have ever made.

are there any suppressors that can be changed from .224 to .308 by changing baffles

I would recommend looking at http://www.major-malfunction.com/ for the most competitive prices on supressors in the country, if you're in the market. Bryon really gives great customer service and saves you money that you can spend on your stamp. He sells below MSRP, and I couldn't find anyone that could come close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are there any suppressors that can be changed from .224 to .308 by changing baffles </div></div>

No, because the ATF won't allow you to have extra baffles laying around.

No but you can shoot a .224 through a .308 suppressor. Yes it will be a bit noisier, but it will still work until you decide to dedicate a .224 can for that cal.

I shoot a SAS .30 can on the following guns. 243, 308, 7wsm, 270wsm, 300wm, 300 weatherby and .223. I can't tell a difference is sound by ear with any of the guns. The can works great as long as the bullet diameter is smaller than can size

how does the SAS stand up to the pressure of the 300WM and 300WTB ?

you can also go by the proverb - once you have one suppressor you will always want more...the only issue is the wait time as it seems to take for ever. I use my 308 Gemtech HVT on a 223 Mini SASS and it works fine. A bit louder than a 223 but it works fine. I asked Gemtech about doing that and they said they built the suppressor to be able to work with both calibers knowing that customers want to use their suppressors on multiple calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you start shooting suppressed it's hard to go back to unsuppressed.
Your more likely to sell guns that are not suppressor friendly rather than the suppressor. </div></div>

Bray hit the nail on the head with this one..... After getting into suppressors, I now find myself getting different hosts on a regular basis and getting rid of weapons that are not suppressor compatible.

-Tdog

Buy a shark suppressor. You can remove the end caps. The threads are in the end caps. If you buy different end caps you can have threads for 1/2-20, 5/8-24 and 3/4-28. The changeable caps will let you thread your can on anything from .22 to .30 and only buy 1 can. The end caps are $100 per so thats a lot cheaper than buying multiple cans for different firearms in different calibers.

I own a YHM M2 Cobra for my USP Tactical, and I like it. Its probably not the quietest can out there, but it does well especially when fired wet. I was wondering what a suppressor really does for a supersonic rifle round such as a .308? Reduce report somewhat and cool the gases to eliminate all flash?

Removes almost all of the muzzle blast. The supersonic "crack" remains, but in open air (not under a tin shed), they're nearly hearing safe.

.223 sounds a lot like a moderately long barreled .22LR shooting HV ammo.