• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Questions about SWFA SS 3-15x42

ohnomrbillk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2004
Missouri
Is this glass on this new scope on par with the glass in the 3-9x42?

I'm intimately familiar with the 3-9x42, and am happy with the glass quality.

Just trying to decide if I'm going to order a few at the end of the month.

I'm also considering the Bushnell 3-12 with the G2 reticle and the Weaver 3-15 EMDR

I think JasonK is the only one with 3-15 in hand at the moment. So probably not many opinions of glass out there, but thats subjective anyway. They're not supposed to start shipping till the latter part of this month.

I agree that I was happy with my 3-9. I just wanted a parallax adjustment, for my eyes. But I'm certainly okay with a 3-15!

And I say it often; but lawd, SWFA, get real time inventory on your website. I get tired of annoying those guys with "is it in stock"? as much as they probably get annoyed with the question.

at that price, I hope it is HD glas but am really not sure, also the turrets are 5 mil per turn instead of the 10 mil on the 5-20. I'd really like a 3-15 with HD glas and 10 mil turn even for a little more dough.
some more details would be great as i have a couple rifles that don't need top of the line optics and these 3-15 would fit the bill nicely

at that price, I hope it is HD glas but am really not sure, also the turrets are 5 mil per turn instead of the 10 mil on the 5-20. I'd really like a 3-15 with HD glas and 10 mil turn even for a little more dough.
some more details would be great as i have a couple rifles that don't need top of the line optics and these 3-15 would fit the bill nicely

I agree with the comment on the turrets. If they were low profile and 10mil/turn it would be a big jump up in ergonomics. I would happily pay more.

Probably will be same or similar glass as the 3-9. For this scope to be HD, it would have to cost significantly more.

-s

Swfa ss 3-15 / swfa ss 1-6

I have the SWFA SS 3-15 and the SWFA SS 1-6 for a long term test and evaluation. Right now, I have the SWFA 3-15 mounted in a WARNE R.A.M.P. with a T1 on the ejection port side. I took my US Optics SN3 1.8-10 off to mount the 3-15 for testing. I just got these optics two days ago, and have not had the chance to get to the range with them. The SWFA SS 1-6 is mounted on my LVOA-S in the SWFA (BoBro) Precision Optic Mount, which I will directly compare to the Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 mounted in the DLOC from Alamo Four Star. My Bushy 1-6.5 has the BTR-2 reticle in SFP, the SWFA reticle is FFP. But, just armchairing them, I really like how SWFA did their reticle with a large circle and the MILSCALE "cross hair" in the FFP. As you increase magnification, the circle disappears and now you have the traditional MILSCALE.

There are some very fine features to the SWFA line, I've been a fan of them for years. The 3-15 is not HD glass, and has the standard "set screw" style turrets found on the fixed 10x / 12x / 16x and 20x line. It is essentially, the same as the newer MRAD version of the "fixed" line, only it is variable from 3-15. The reticle is SWFA's MIL-QUAD reticle, and on 3x... it gets a little bit "fine". However, as you increase the magnification, the reticle is sharp, and finely etched... easy to see.

As stated, I have not had the chance to shoot behind this glass yet. I planned on range time today, but we are covered with rain...

SWFASS3_zps75aec93c.jpg

SWFASS2_zps5fb9809c.jpg

SWFASS1_zps7d16147d.jpg

SWFASS4_zpsadee21cc.jpg

SWFA SS 1-6 MRAD

SWFASS5_zpsc840506b.jpg

SWFASS6_zps111a8790.jpg

SWFASS8_zps19a6d064.jpg

The turrets "feel" much better than my older fixed ten from SWFA... and on par with my newer fixed 12 MRAD. The SWFA SS 3-15 caught my eye, for a lower cost alternative with a very usable FOV. The glass is very clear, edge to edge, and the exit pupil is not horrible. I have it mounted on my SPR (20" White Oak barrel) with the PRS. I was able to get the LoP and Comb set very well with the WARNE RAMP. The windage turret is a bit "tall", so it does obscure a small part of the sight window on the T1. I use this combination very successfully with my US Optics SN3 1.8-10, so we shall see how well it works with these turrets.

I found a video by LoneWolfUSMC (8541 Tactical's Youtube Channel) and he hit my own observations head on. I will be using this optic very hard, and see how it stacks up against some of the other optics I have in this price range.

Here is his video:

SWFA SS 3-15x42mm Rifle Scope Review - YouTube

I expect that this SWFA SS 3-15 will edge out it's competition simply due to the fact that the SS line has solid turrets / erectors and they dial very accurately. The FFP is a nice touch in this price point, and the reticle is very well etched. The Quad-MIL reticle will not be as fine as the G2DMR on the Bushnell line... I've got the Bushy Elite 3.5-21 with the G2DMR and it has become one of my favorite otpics.

I just wanted to add to this thread... hopefully, as these become available, the SS line will pick up traction. Just messing with it for a day in my house, I'd love to see a locking ocular ring, the turrets like the 1-6 has, instead of the older set screw style... and this thing will be good to go. The jury is still out on the glass quality... but, just initial observations tell me that I'm going to like it.

I'm happy with it for the price, but would have gladly payed $200more for HD glass and the SS 3-9 turrets. I'd kick in yet another $100 for turrets like the SS 1-6. Still, the glass is almost as good side-by-side with an SS 3-9. While it doesn't compare to the Premiers I've had, it will work great for a hard-use mountain hunting rig and I won't worry about it like I do $2000 glass.

anyone had a chance for a PST 4-16 side by side? that seems to be the direct competition.