• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Questions about the Shooter app

Smooth73

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2013
Park Falls, WI
Hey guys,
I downloaded and first started playing around with Shooter this last weekend, and I'm having fun trying to figure a few things out.
First, where is the function for entering density altitude? I see the toggle for absolute pressure, but the only area that Grays out is altitude.
also my firing solutions are weird. Zeros at hundred, drop in inches at three hundred is 11.1 inches, but I have to only come up 7 clicks at 1/2 moa per? That's 3 1/2 inches. hmmmm.
Some of the features that it calls for on the ammo and such I'm not familiar with, but all the important stuff should be there BC, etc. I inputted dimensions for ammo based on measurements I took with a caliper, so unless I did that wrong I'm not sure what the problem is. Any advice with this program is appreciated!

Btw, this was run on an ar rifle shooting factory Remington umc metal case 55gr. Also,I noticed on a couple of the ranges listed, some velocities were colored on red..what's up with that?

7 clicks is 3.5 moa which is 3.5" at 100 yds.... That would be 7" at 200 yds, 10.5" at 300 yds etc.... I have yet to experience the red velocities... I just always sinc with the weather station... This automatically sets altitude, temp, pressure etc....
Hoodlum

Ah, ok hoodlum, so they're taking moa at distance into consideration on the calculation. Got it now, it just didn't look right on the chart. What is the easiest way you've found to true this software to your real world results?

7 clicks is 3.5 moa which is 3.5" at 100 yds.... That would be 7" at 200 yds, 10.5" at 300 yds etc.... I have yet to experience the red velocities... I just always sinc with the weather station... This automatically sets altitude, temp, pressure etc....
Hoodlum

I am soooo glad I just stumbled across this thread. I had no idea syncing weather was an option on the app until I just read this and tried it. Every time I come close to buying a Kestrel something else comes up so it's always been a headache for me when shooting different places and getting data.

I just found out about the sync function this afternoon, thanks a ton for that!!
I downloaded the app on my Ipod, so I probably can't do it in real time at the range without Wifi, but I can get it before I go. I read somewhere on here that there was a density altitude function somewhere where I would only have to enter temp I think.
For Bullet diameter I measured the bullet with a caliper and got .222
For bullet lenght i measured the whole cartridge and got 2.232
WTF is Atmospheric std?. I left it at ICAO
Drag Model is G1.
Did not enter anything for zero atmosphere, as most was entered previously.
Hope this stuff helps out, I just want to make sure I'm setting this up correctly, you know GIGO.
Thanks guys!

There is a density altitude function - if you go into settings on your device, then select Shooter icon. You will see there is an option "Input Options" which you can select "use density altitude."
I had trouble finding this initially as well - the key is to go into settings on your device (in my case iphone).

If you don't have a way of calculating density altitude just use station pressure, temperature, and humidity. That is density altitude, Guestimate humidity it is a minor factor anyway.

All you guys were big help on this one, thanks much!
This app is pretty nice and way more extensive than my other programs...can't wait to get more range time with it.

i down loaded this app yesterday and entered all the info for my load. I found that it was pretty consistant with the tables i had generated from JBM it feried about .2 MOA at 450 yards. I really like the create profile and sink from computer to app on phone.