• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions about tube guns

338LM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2003
STL Missouri
Can tube rifles be built as accurate as a conventional stock rifle? For example if a persons conventional stock rifle is 1/4 MOA can a person build a 1/4 MOA tube rifle?
Can a person shoot a tube rifle as accurately as a rifle with a conventional stock?
Are people using tube rifles in tactical competitions?

Re: Questions about tube guns

Yes you can build them as accurate as the regulars, I wish I had one for proof, but I know that they can from the reports that I have heard.

they for sure can be 1/4moa shooters and yes 264win and i both use a mak tube chassis rifle for tactical competitions. we are both shooting 6x47 and they both shoot 1/2moa and under. I would venture you will see more and more of these in competition they are great for position shooting and still are good at prone.

Do it!!!

diggler44,
How much does your tube gun weigh? Will they perform out to 1000 yards without any issues?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can tube rifles be built as accurate as a conventional stock rifle? For example if a persons conventional stock rifle is 1/4 MOA can a person build a 1/4 MOA tube rifle?
Can a person shoot a tube rifle as accurately as a rifle with a conventional stock?
Are people using tube rifles in tactical competitions? </div></div>

First of all there are precious few rifles indeed that are true 1/4 MOA rifles (mostly pure benchrest rifles), so if you find a conventional stocked rifle that will do that day in and day out, you have a "one in million" rifle and you should hold onto it. Yeah, there are rifles that will shoot a 1/4" MOA five shot group here or there, but not do it consistently, and their 10 or 20 shot groups will be a lot larger.

Hard to beat a tube gun for inherent accuracy. When I say tube guns, I don't just mean a tube you screw the action into. As far as I am concerned if you want the true benefits of a tube gun, do the glue in of the action to the sleeve (an easy do-it-yourself proposition with JB Weld epoxy from any auto parts store with easy water based clean up). The reason I say it's hard to beat a Tube Gun for inherent accuracy is:

1. When you glue the action into the sleeve, there is no stress whatsoever on the action and the laminate of the steel action and the aluminum sleeve makes it one perfectly bedded very rigid integral action and sleeve; and
2. Only theory here (but I am fairly confident in this theory based on the 4 MAK tube guns I currently have in service) is that the aluminum sleeve wrapped around and bonded to the steel action helps deaden accuracy robbing vibrations that happen when the trigger is actuated and the cocking piece and firing pin fall and the cartridge ignites.

For tactical matches the MAK set up is good. If you get their short action repeater tube gun, it uses the Accuracy International magazines (5 or 10 round versions). They also have a magnum repeater tube gun (I just did a magazine article in Precision Shooting magazine on one that came out in the June issue). The great thing about the tube gun is once the action is mated to the sleeve, the gun is a total do-it-yourself, screw-it-together gun with all kinds of options and parts you can use (i.e. just about all AR-15 butt stocks and pistol grips, tactical hand guards and rails, etc.).

Robert Whitley

Here's a picture of the MAK Magnum repeater tube gun kit showing the optional tactical hand guard and rails, etc. You use an AR-15 butt stock assembly and pistol grip (both mount right to the kit) and a Remington 700 barreled action & trigger and you are off and shooting. For the magnum kit they have the regular magnum magazines (for 300 Win Mag, etc.) and the 338 Lapua magazines. With the short action repeater kit you use the Accuracy International magazines.
TubeGunKitOptions.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can tube rifles be built as accurate as a conventional stock rifle? For example if a persons conventional stock rifle is 1/4 MOA can a person build a 1/4 MOA tube rifle?

Just like Robert said there's very few true 1/4 MOA rifles out there.

The last Broughton barrel I had on this rifle produced some .1" groups,a handfull of .2" groups and averaged .4".The new Schneider has been a .5"-.7" barrel.Some barrels turn out to be hummers and some don't.

Here's my MAK Tactical in 6x47L.

Steve

DSC00242.jpg

here is my mak tube gun in 6x47 lapua . they can easily perform as well or better than a conventional bolt rifle , but as always it depends on the trigger puller .
as far as performance past 1000yds , it depends on the caliber you chose , a 243 , 260 ,284 will all do well with the right bullet / barrel . i agree with diggler , do it .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FFFF00">Can tube rifles be built as accurate as a conventional stock rifle?</span> For example if a persons conventional stock rifle is 1/4 MOA can a person build a 1/4 MOA tube rifle?

1/4 MOA is just a figure I picked for an example. I could have used any figure for comparison purposes.
<span style="color: #FFFF00">The question being focused upon here is: can a tube gun be built to be as accurate as a conventionally stocked rifle?</span>

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is my mak tube gun in 6x47 lapua . <span style="color: #FFFF00">they can easily perform as well or better than </span><span style="color: #FFFF00">a conventional bolt rifle</span> , but as always it depends on the trigger puller .
as far as performance past 1000yds , it depends on the caliber you chose , a 243 , 260 ,284 will all do well with the right bullet / barrel . i agree with diggler , do it . </div></div>

This is what I want to know from you guys. Thanks.

my mak tube gun weighs just under 16lbs with s&b 5-25x56, bipod, sling, magazine and handstop ready to shoot. it is balanced almost perfectly. they have a unique style to them but damn they shoot and are very comfortable to shoot.

How do you clean the barrel on a tube gun? I am assuming that you remove the stock?

You remove two screws that hold the aft cap on, take off the aft cap (with butt stock) take out the bolt and go to it. MAK is now doing a quick detach assembly for the aft cap so you don't even need to remove any screws. It's easy with either set up.

The question being focused upon here is: can a tube gun be built to be as accurate as a conventionally stocked rifle?

Any rifle, tube or conventionally stocked built by someone who knows what their doing and fed with properly tuned ammunition will exceed your capability, that's about all you can ask of it. The appeal of the tube chassis is it's highly adaptable and can do a wide variety of tasks very well.

This was mine

16inch_tube_gun.jpg

and it was/is every bit as awesome as it looks. For a bolt action, <span style="font-weight: bold">completely modular system</span> the MAK tubegun is extremely hard to beat! After all, how many other Tubeguns out there will work with (virtually) all the AR-15 stocks and pistol grips? At last count, that would be <span style="font-weight: bold">ZERO</span> others!
laugh.gif

This is <span style="font-weight: bold">The Dream Rifle</span> for those of us who have RADD (Rifle Attention Deficit Disorder) and just have to try out differents stocks, pistol grips, accessories, etc.

I wish I still had this little bugger. Man could it ever shoot!

Here's a picture of MAK's quick detach aft cap. They use an AR-15 mag release button with an internal assembly. This set up allows you to take off the buttstock assembly and have access to remove the bolt with just a push of a button. Very well done set up!

Robert Whitley

QuickDetachAftCap1a.jpg

From an engineering standpoint a tubegun or chasis style is MORE accurate than a traditional stock. Traditional stocks will inherently have radius's or "slopes" built into the stock. Like the McMillan drops off to form a semi-circle or radius right behind the action and again when coming up to the plateau of the cheek piece. The physical engineering of it is so simple it's often overlooked. No curved line or structure will ever be as strong or more importantly as CONSISTENT as a straight line. Tube guns put the barrel, action, cheek piece/shooter all in a STRAIGHT LINE. Less curves/radius's equals better strength, better consistency, and better accuracy.

That's the bottom line in my book. Hope that helps

hey ranger I have been looking at that picture for mounts and wishing I could meet this guy and ask him...how the hell you have a gun so F-ing beautifull???
and ask you for every detail cuz I want to make and exact copy of that beautifull thing
cool.gif

the scope
the stock
the grip
especially that barrel....
that gun give me an orgasm every time I see it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrchadwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey ranger I have been looking at that picture for mounts and wishing I could meet this guy and ask him...how the hell you have a gun so F-ing beautifull???
and ask you for every detail cuz I want to make and exact copy of that beautifull thing
cool.gif

the scope
the stock
the grip
especially that barrel....
that gun give me an orgasm every time I see it </div></div>
If you want a rifle like that contact Jense Precision ( http://jenseprecision.com ). He will make you a tube gun far better than that one. Jense Precision is extremely familiar with tubeguns and his quality standards are outstanding.

If you're thinking such a tubegun can be had inexpensively, I would say look else where.

For that custom straight cylinder Advanced Barrel Systems (ABS) carbon fiber wrapped barrel, you are going to be spending some serious coin. Advanced Barrel Systems ( http://home.windstream.net/mdegerness/ ) has moved from Lincoln, NE to Montana and the last I heard they are going gang busters. They are my number 1 choice in barrels as my experience with them has been outstanding.

When picking what barrel maker to cut your barrel to the ABS contour so it can be wrapped, I highly recommend you start with Satern Machining ( http://www.saternmachining.com/ ). They keep a supply of ABS contour barrels on hand and if you find one that fits your needs, that will save you months in the barrel making process. ( http://www.saternmachining.com/barrels_on_hand )

The MAK Tubegun chassis system is very nice. I loved the fact that I could use whatever choice of AR-15 butt stock and pistol grip I wanted to. MAK Enterprises ( http://www.tubegun.net/ ).

The stock is an Ace M4 SOCOM stock ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=149181 ).

The pistol grip is the Hogue OverMolded Pistol Grip AR-15 ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=645828 ).

As for the Optics, its Knights Armament mount and rings. The red dot sight is a Doctor Optics and the scope is a Leupold Mark 4 3-9 power illuminated mildot. Don't know if its made anymore.

However, all of this doesn't mean squat. The rifle, as well as several others, was stolen in 2008 and the case (Kirkland Police Department case number 08-5226) is still unsolved. Here's more info on that. Kirkland Police Department case 08-5226 Stolen Rifles & Optics

Moral of the story, buy yourself a gun safe and USE it! Good shooting.

Im working on gathering the parts for a tubegun now. I was considering the mak at first but after sending email and leaving messages with no response I ordered a elesio chassis.

Whoever resurrected this thread, thank you. I've been looking for a chassis/stock that I liked for the rifle build I'm doing, and when I saw this I researched it and decided it's what I wanted to go with. Also, thank you guys for all the information about these, it helped a lot.

man I cant thank you enough for all that info....
I though that you will never replay that fast....pictures coming sooooon...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ask Mr Tubbs if they can beat most rifles at 1K. </div></div>
The TUBB 2000 is not a tube gun.