• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions for Rifles Only Course Alumni

DamnYuppie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Idaho
I am going to be attending a course at Rifles Only next month, very excited about that, and had a few questions I was hoping people could help me out with. For what it is worth I am taking the Precision Rifle 1 & 2.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Is it better to stay in a hotel or their bunk house?[*]If a hotel what hotels in the area would you recommend? I would say my budget for a hotel would be $65-70 a night.[*]I don't have a shooting mat or drag bag for my rifle, do I need one for their courses?[/list]

I am sure I will think of more 3 minutes after I hit submit but that should do for now...

Re: Questions for Rifles Only Course Alumni

Ok, I love the bunkhouse. It promotes comradery among you and the others that are staying there. If you stay in the hotel, you might end up alone watching TV every night. Which might be exactly what you want, but there it is...
As for a hotel? I'd go with Rodeway Inn because that is where the only decent bar in town is...And it's cheap.
So bunkhouse=more time hanging out with other students and easier sharing of rental cars
Hotel=More night life with the locals and your own room and bathroom.

Either way, I promise you'll have a great time!

That is good to know about the bunk house that was kind of the way I was leaning myself.

So no need to go and purchase a drag bag or mat at this time?

I usually just wear long sleeves and call it good. Shooting mats and drag bags are just another thing you have to tote around with you all day. Get a decent little backpack (assault pack) with a camel back and you'll be good. That'll hold your ammo, data book, brass after you shoot, water, snackage, kestrel, etc.
Bi-pod, rear bag, long sleeve shirts and pants and you'll be ready to rock. Oh, and LOTS of ammo!

Another option to consider if you are active/reserve/retired military is Kingsville Naval Air Station.
Cheers,
DC

That is great feedback, thank you all for the info!

Bunk house all the way! They added new showers and bathrooms, and it makes it easier and less crowded. Do bring a set of foam ear plugs. If you get some freight train snorers, it will be loud.
For a PR course, I would take a shooting mat. You will be spending more time on the ground in one spot and less frequent movement from places, like during a match. Plus, RO has KILLER sticker spurs, and you and your gear will be covered in them. So, I would bring a shooting mat, even if Frank and Jacob made fun of my ass!

I'm pretty sure I left with most the stickers last time left. Although, some more might have grown in. At least have some long sleeve shirts.

Roadhouse Inn is about $45 per night

There are a TON of bindis if that bothers you. I spent nearly as much time every night picking them out of my hair and clothes and other places as dry firing
smile.gif
but I cannot imagine using a shooting mat. What a PITA that would be to have to lug around and set up at every stage. Besides a little pain is good for your concentration
smile.gif
. Drag bag likewise. It really makes the most sense to sling your rifle I would think and carry rest in as small as you can. You will be walking a goodly amount. How much gear do you really wanna hump around?

Awesome that you are taking the class. I swear you will find it worth more than every penny. Best of luck to you.

Excellent information all. I will insure I have rugged pants and long sleeve shirts. I may get a small mat in case things get too nasty. Yet I will forgo getting a rifle bag at this time.

Check Hotwire.com for hotel rates.
Call to Lisa at RO and reserve a Tab shooting mat, if you don't use it that week you will use in the future. Just bring a small back pack, kestrel,rear bag(also available there),sun screen and rain gear. You will get over a hour for lunch/siesta so you will have time to go to town to eat.
Have fun!

give CKA wide berth 'specially after he wolfs down mexican food or any beans.....he makes breathing very unkind to the unawares

Bunkhouse
Buy a TAB mat there
Mechanix gloves
ask Lowlight what he perfers, RedBull or SF RedBull
Jacob likes Dos XX
open mind with the ability to learn

Have Fun!

Bunkhouse: Why go all the way there just to leave every night?!!

So, get there early and snag one of what I call the the 'Sergeant Major's bunks' near the door (less snoring to listen-to at night).

Bring food: Bring bacon. Bring eggs. Get up early and make eveyone breakfast. When they say 'Thank you' tell them to be quiet, get ready and eat-up.
grin.gif

An Eagle HSRC will help separate you from the burrs and fire ants. But nothing will save you from the killer bees (just kidding about the bees)
laugh.gif

If you don't yet have a TAB sling, get one.

Oh yes forgot about the TAB sling. You must get one if you dont already have it. Not a course requirement but you'll be glad you did.

The TAB Biathalon sling is the AWESOME! Makes it possible to carry MANY different ways! I LOVE mine! And Tony (guy who makes them) is the man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is good to know about the bunk house that was kind of the way I was leaning myself.

So no need to go and purchase a drag bag or mat at this time?
</div></div>

If you can work quickly with it; it can be helpful. You can wait, and if you decide you can't do without just get a TAB while your their, esp. if the fire ants are out already. I was partial to the Hampton Inn, prior to that the Comfort Inn; but the bunkhouse is a good way to go on a budget.

TAB mat is great to have there, early mornings ground is wet. Once it drys up and wind starts blowing you'll just lay on ground as every time you get up the TAB mat will act like a sail!!

Bunkhouse to stay for class! Especially with new showers and bathrooms.

Anything you really need can be purchased at Rifles Only.

My recommendation is go as light as you can and still carry necessary kit. After about 3 days you'll be glad you did.

More importantly clear your mind of anything you think you know and go as if it were your first day of school. You will be given more info than your brain can sync! WRITE IT DOWN!!

Take a deep breath and enjoy the Rifles Only experience!!

Stay at the bunkhouse because you get to sleep a little later, make your own breakfast, and lunch. Don't forget the sunscreen, cap, gloves, extra ammo, and a couple of cases of Dos XX (just in case). If you forget something there is a Wal-mart near-by. Have Fun!

I am going to be attending the same class. I am extremely excited. I am just hoping i bring all the gear i will need.

Thanks for all the great tips, I will be attending the 6 day class in April. First timmer.

Bunkhouse if you can get it, Hampton Inn is next if you can afford it, Rodeway if not. Jacob (Lisa) might let you set up a tent now that they have the new outhouse with a shower.

You don't need a shooting mat or a drag bag, you should bring elbow pads, cheap basketball kind are fine. Don't need a Kestrel either, someone will probably have one, and even if they don't you will be taught how to judge wind by sight and feel.

You'll probably buy a TAB mat there though, as they are really nice.

Bring a WD-40 pen to keep your cap bolts from rusting.

Pack one layer jacket more than you think you need in your pack, can be cold in the AM.

Too bad Frank burned Maxi's down, otherwise you could rent a room by the hour there.

You're going to have a great experience.

I have another question about the bunk house. Is it stocked with pots and pans or will I need to bring a few of my own for cooking breakfast and such?

It's completely stocked with pots, pans, dishes, silverware, etc. There is also both a coffeemaker and a microwave. You just need food. There is sometimes a space problem in the fridge, so you might not want to buy a lot of stuff which needs to be cold.

There is no dishwasher - you're it - so paper plates and plastic utensils are popular.

Well, Lindy's house, stocked well with such essentials as single-malt Scotch and other comestibles, will be parked just west of the bunkhouse during the trainup and match. Not long after, it will be evacuated to the mountains of Colorado for the summer.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lindy, a quick question: Do they have a grill there?

Rthur</div></div>

More than one... its Texas after all

Thanks LL, I think I'll bring some elk loin wrapped in bacon for the crew.

Rthur

Excellent..grills equal steak, steak equals happiness!