• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions for you guys running Applied Ballistics App and a 4500 Kestrel

JustAnotherSPSTactical

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2012
Hello guys, I'm running the Applied ballistics app and using a Kestrel 4500 to get my weather inputs. The problem I'm having is all my data will update in the app except the wind direction. The wind speed will update but the direction always stays the same. Has anyone else had this problem? I sure hope that it is able to pull wind direction from the kestrel, that is the reason I went with the 4500. I've tried emailing Applied Ballistics but have got no response. I hope someone can help.... Thanks for any input.

Well, I'm waiting for the IPhone version so I'm no help but I can tell you that he will respond to your e-mail and also Bryan is a member here so if he gets "wind" of it...................

It looks like the wind direction is relative to whatever direction you are facing, so getting the compass wind direction from the Kestrel would only provide a correct solution when you are facing due north.

You will have to input wind direction manually I believe.

That'll suck if I have to enter it in myself. Looks like they need to update the app if that is the case. I'm sure they'll respond to my emails in time. I wonder if Shooter is the same way? Thanks guys.

The Kestrel 4500 has a crosswind feature and can give you wind angle, the problem is that the Applied Ballistics app doesn't pull it in. Just the wind speed. You have to manually enter the angle. I believe Field Firing Solutions does pull the wind angle. I plan to pick up a copy at some point here and test that

Does anyone know if Shooter will pull wind direction from a kestrel? I have it on my Ipod but of course it won't Bluetooth to my kestrel. Figured I'd put it on my android phone if it would pull data.

I don't believe any of the app calculators pull wind direction, just speed

The only Android ballistic app that allows wind direction to populate from the Kestrel 4500 is RTballistics. There is the Ventus app that allows you to retrieve the wind direction if you are set on using Shooter or AB, you can then manualy enter the Kestrels know wind direction. The guy who developed the RTballistics app has some awsome new features he is planning on adding in the future but all in all as it stands its a decent app pre upcoming changes. For windows mobile the only two I can vouch for is FFS and ColdBore, I know those two allow the Kestrel to auto populate its wind direction.

I heard from Bryan Litz. The app will not show wind direction from the Kestrel. Says the Kestrel does no send that data. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Every Kestrel 4500 sends the wind direection. He may be refering to the 4000 series Kestrels but the compas was put in the 4500 for just that reason. If the Kestrel didnt send the data it would be impossable for the two app i mentioned to display their result.

Every Kestrel 4500 sends the wind direection. He may be refering to the 4000 series Kestrels but the compas was put in the 4500 for just that reason. If the Kestrel didnt send the data it would be impossable for the two app i mentioned to display their result.

He is correct, the 4500 series can be told what your bearing or look angle is, and it will compute a crosswind and angle when you turn the meter into the wind. That data is relayed through the BT connection and as long as the software is set up to read it, it will be displayed. I tried it with FFS and it works just fine and you can set the update interval and throw it on a weather vane if you so desire. Probably not a bad training tool as you can set up the tools, guess what the wind speed is and the value and then check the software to see how close you are with the hold you come up with in your head. Guess the wind speed, look at your dope card and base your hold off of your full value 10mph number, then see what the software says. It still won't tell you whats happening down range but for guys still working on perfecting the process at the shooter its probably a nice, albeit expensive, training tool.

Hey comanche9, any idea when the Rtballistics app is getting the updates? Might have to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Last it talked to him he was busy with some other work but it was next inline. He is a member here so I'm sure he will chime in shortly. I did test a beta version for him and I can say it has features that are not on any other Android app on the market.

I think more app developers will start putting this into their apps since Downrange Systems has a product where it will be useful in ballistics apps as well as when Brian Litz releases his wind sensors that can be set up down range as well.

I'm interested to see how they intend to beam downrange wind data to a pda or kestrel when bluetooth is good for like 7yds. Perhaps a higher strength receiver that can retrieve the downrange wind data then go BT from receiver to pda?

Im not sure how Litz plans on doing this but I know the Downrange Systems kit does RF for the long haul ( 1 mile) and then converts to Bluetooth at the shooters end.

Last edited: