• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Questions: My Old IOR 16X42 Appears to be 1/4MOA turrets with MP-8 Reticle (MILS).....

gidds

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2008
Considering purchasing a new scope for a new Ruger Precision. I have had limited experience shooting past 200 or 300 yards and preparing to reach out this spring/summer as far as I can. I am a semi-novice distance shooter. My existing setup is a Rem 700-AAC-SD with an IOR 16X42. I have always assumed that the reticle (MP-8) of the scope was MOA and my adjustments have worked fairly well. I recently learned that the Reticle is actually MILS but the turrets are 1/4MOA adjustments. From what I have read, this may be an issue. Well now I'm wondering if there is an issue and also wondering if my next scope should be MILS or MOA. And am I correct to believe that MILS and MRAD are the same unit of measurement? Thanks in advance, from a novice....

Mils = MRAD = milliradians

Turret adjustments in different units than the reticle divisions is a needless problem

Get a new scope with milliradian windage and elevation adjustments and a reticle with milliradian subtensions (divisions).

Print out all your dope in mils.

Forget about how many inches a mil is. You don't need to know that.

Think 100% in angular measurements and make those measurements milliradians.

Id also recommend selling that one off and upgrading to a mil/mil scope. Of the IOR 16x42 scopes I've seen around, all have been listed as mil/mil actually, but I'm sure there was a time in earlier production that they were done in mil/moa, which must be what you have if it says 1/4 moa on the turrets. To my knowledge, the 16x was never produced with an moa reticle.

No reason to go back to the caveman days with that, I'd think you could sell that one off for enough to buy an SWFA 10x or 12x if you're good with fixed power scopes. If wanting to go variable (for hunting or broader field of view requirements), there are several good options nowadays under $400, and even better ones under $800.