• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on compressed loads....

Freedomaintfree

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2019
I am new to reloading. I am working up 200 and 180 grain Accubond loads for my 300 win mag.

Most of the loads using H1000 and the Nosler manual had the powder compressing even at the starting load recommendation. This is even with less bullet seating depth than spec to be closer to the lands.

I assume if it is in the manual it is safe, even if the load is compressed?

For example with the 200 grain accubond I loaded 74,75 and 76 grain loads. (76 being the mid point in the Nosler manual). I loaded them 0.1 off the lands.

The crunching of powder when pressing the bullet is unnerving to me as a new reloader.

Will I see accuracy issues with compressed loads?

.1 off the lands gives a a lot room to work with. Might run it out to .02 off and see how much powder you crunch.

Not with a 300 win mag, but I had compressed loads in a 223 and when I went to shoot them the bullets had pushed out of the case enough that they wouldn't always fit in the mag. I agree to use a different powder.

Drop tubes help with this. Pour slowly into the tube and you will get significantly more room.
This helps a ton! I have even used the wife’s “electric toothbrush” to vibrate the kernels into a more dense arrangement.

Slight compression ok but you can go too far and no good. Win 458 suffered from this and as my father described the bullet dribbled out the end.