• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Training Courses Questions on NRA LE Instructor Certs

wallace11bravo

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
Lincoln, NE
www.mwts-training.com
Did a search, came up with diddly. Hoping someone can provide insight.

My command has signed off on it, and it looks like I'll be going to a NRA LE Patrol Rifle Instructor Class in a few months (on mostly my dime of course). Any insight, suggestions, etc is very welcome, but I do have a couple specific questions:

1. I understand that they have a continuing education requirement for LE Instructors. 24 hours every three years, but I have seen some conflicting info on the specifics of this requirement. Do the classes have to be NRA certified? Do they need to be instructor development type classes? Do they have to be in the field of of your certification (i.e. pistol classes if you are a pistol instructor), or will any firearms training do?

2. Kindof a dick question to ask, but: I have not dropped the $$ just yet, so is it worth the $600+gas+lodging+ammo? (I am after a good learning opportunity and stuff for the resume)

3. Is there any other pertinent info I need to know that isn't listed on the NRA website? (I am planning on taking an SBR w/ can, but I have other options if they would not like such a thing)

Thanks in advance, all insight is appreciated.

Re: Questions on NRA LE Instructor Certs

I have been to the NRA patrol rifle instructor course and I have also been to Centermass. Personally if it were coming out of my own pocket I would look at Centermass.

Centermass is actually an instructor school. The NRA was more of a shooting school and for that matter their qual course is only 50 yards and in. Centermass wrote the book on patrol rifle and also puts on the National Patrol Rifle Conference and Competition which is a great learning tool in itself.

Unless it is absolutely mandated by your department I wouldn't waste your time with the NRA.

I have not attended the NRA patrol rifle course but have been to their precision rifle instructor course. Good course but there are better out there. I would also suggest Centermass. Jeff Felts is a good guy and puts on a great school. For about the same cost.

http://www.centermassinc.com/

It depends on the instructor too. I have done a couple of them Tac Handgun, Shotgun, Patrol Rifle x 2, working on Subgun to get my masters.

The instructing portion can be a drag if you are doing multiple certifications. I think you get a good deal of information in the short 80 hour class.

You are not going to practice new skills, you will be shown skills and you can take those with you to integrate into your own program.