• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on Rifle Basix trigger for Savage 93

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
First off, what do I need? I went to Rifle Basix website but it's not clear. Do I need JUST the SAV-RAT?

Also, how wide is the trigger? I like wider triggers so I'll miss the width of the AccuTrigger.

Re: Questions on Rifle Basix trigger for Savage 93

Why not just mod the accutrigger instead of replacing it if you like the trigger width on it? Been reading about people pulling out the little safety blade and trimming a coil or so off the spring and getting fantastic results

I did that. For some reason it breaks pretty rough. While I do have the pull set to it's lightest and have trimmed a coil off, it's not a very smooth pull.

In that case go with the rifle basix I suppose. You need the complete trigger for the savage, it's marked for the accutrigger equipped gun. IF the trigger is not wide enough, there are company's who make trigger shoes for many different styles of triggers.

I have a rifle basix on my Marlin. I had to trim the sear just the tiniest bit, but I love it. It's wider than the factory one I had. Plus it's metal and my other one was plastic. Weight now is like 16 oz. VERY nice compared to the factory one, which was like freakin 5 lbs.

Smallbore,

What's that rifle in your signature? The Marlin?

I like the McMillan type stock on it. What kind of stock is that?

sav-rat is all you need, direct rreplacement and much better than the accutrigger. takes about 10-15 minutes to install, just make sure you check the safety and also check the adjustment screws after shooting the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a rifle basix on my Marlin. I had to trim the sear just the tiniest bit, but I love it. It's wider than the factory one I had. Plus it's metal and my other one was plastic. Weight now is like 16 oz. VERY nice compared to the factory one, which was like freakin 5 lbs. </div></div>

Factory stock on my Marlin 917VR with the Karsten's cheeck rest. Love that thing.

Smallbore,

Is your stock hollow in the butt like my Savage is? I thought about filling it with something just to give it a tad more balance.

the instructions are on dvd, and i think there are some paper ones too that is with it. it's not as wide as the accutrigger, but very crispy and not creepy when you adjust it a little.

the biggest pain is that you can't adjust the screws when the action is in the stock. but after a little in and out, the RB trigger is nice.

a little tip for "filling" the stock, plastic bags from walmart knocks out the hollow sound, and a few small gel ice packs work nice for weight distribution, you can add or subtract easily to get the right feel you want. on centerfires, it actually acts like a shock absorber and sucks up some recoil..

you can "shim" the packs around with the bags to get the right balance, then stuff it with bags till the packs don't move around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the instructions are on dvd, and i think there are some paper ones too that is with it. it's not as wide as the accutrigger, but very crispy and not creepy when you adjust it a little.

the biggest pain is that you can't adjust the screws when the action is in the stock. but after a little in and out, the RB trigger is nice.

a little tip for "filling" the stock, plastic bags from walmart knocks out the hollow sound, and a few small gel ice packs work nice for weight distribution, you can add or subtract easily to get the right feel you want. on centerfires, it actually acts like a shock absorber and sucks up some recoil..

you can "shim" the packs around with the bags to get the right balance, then stuff it with bags till the packs don't move around. </div></div>

I tried that "Blue Ice" trick this past summer TP.
But I got tired of having to put my rifle back in the freezer ever 2 or 4 hours!
whistle.gif

Really though, I think I will try that trick on my .308 Tikka. I have stick on wheel weights inside the stock now & that works pretty good. Adding some ice packs might work even better.

I have a rifle-basix trigger on my 10FP and its great! Sometimes i feel like it has the absolute SLIGHTEST amount of creep when I'm testing loads at 100yrds an really trying to do everything perfect, but any other time, i never notice it because it is SO slight. Also, the guys at RB are great to work with and will help you out however they can! I think my RB trigger is wider than the accu-trigger too. My vote is for rifle-basix, great folks and great product!

You guys hate the accu-trigger that much?

I thought one of the strong points of buying a Savage 93 was the fact that its trigger was decent.

No vman, speaking for myself I do not hate the accu-trigger. In fact, the one in my Savage MKII FV is really good. I did some work on it to lighten the pull & take the side play out of the blade. I just couldn't get the same results out of the trigger on the TRR so I bought a Rifle Basix trigger for it. This is one nice trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smallbore,

Is your stock hollow in the butt like my Savage is? I thought about filling it with something just to give it a tad more balance. </div></div>

Just a Karsten's cheek rest. But I guess technically yes. Definitely worth the $50.

Vman, I really liked my accu-trigger... When it worked. I bought my rifle of a guy on the hide here and he had hacked it up pretty bad. I think he messed with the trigger and tried to lighten it too much. There is a little tool from savage that you can adjust the trigger pull with and I think he over did it. I would tighten the spring up and after 20-30 shots the spring would loosen up again. It would get so loose, that when I started to compress the blade in the middle of the trigger, the trigger spring would compress before the blade and engage the safety system in the trigger. I would not be able to shoot again until I took my rifle apart and tightened the spring again! On a side note, the accu-trigger's safe mechanism worked perfectly and would have prevented any negligent discharge from jarring or having too light a trigger

my other 2 cents on replacing the accutrigger with rifle basix

1. the accutrigger is a HUGE improvement over a factory non accutrigger when it comes to lighter pull, less creep, and safety.
2. the accutrigger will not go down to the lighter pulls of the rifle basix, and there is still, although slight, evidence of creep on the accutrigger.
3. when very gently squeezing the accutrigger, if you are not squeezing straight back and you tend to squeeze back "off center" (as that's a seperate discussion in itself), the mechanism disengages from the sear, giving you that "click, no bang" frustration. although it's a nice training aid to get you to squeeze straight back, it is a bit of a pain for those that can't help the "off center" squeeze, or if shooting with gloves, etc.
4. even though i have not had any slam fires, or "firing when dropped on the butt" tests with the rifle basix with light poundage (.75lb to 1lb. depending on which one of my rifles) with the safety on or off, the accutrigger gives a better piece of mind when it comes to safety is concerned by disengaging the sear, and reducing unintended firing by unintended trigger "bumps".

IMHO, the accutrigger is leaps and bounds better than a regular trigger, but when it comes to target / more precision shooting, the rifle basix is a better choice to get less poundage and creep. for hunting or teaching "young ones" to shoot from the start, the accutrigger is just a little more advantageous for safety with the sear disengagement feature, and teaches "proper" straight back trigger squeeze.

i feel that the choice is dependant on what the rifle is going to be used for, and if it's to mimic (as a trainer) for ones's centerfire cousin, the style of trigger on the rimfire should duplicate the centerfire, be it accutrigger "like" or a traditional single blade.

I think he picked the nail up, inspected it, measured it pecisely, held it in place carefully, then beat the ever loven piss out of it.
smile.gif

Got the Sav-Rat installed and I really like it!

I must say, I really like it but wish the Sav-Rat trigger was a little wider. I just like to "feel" my trigger surface area with my finger more. Other than that, I'm impressed.