• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions re: custom 24" 300WM or 300 PRC Builds

Dakotabob

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Midwest
Hoping to learn from those of you who built your own (or had built) a custom lightweight hunting rifle. I've narrowed things down to a manners stock (not sure which), 24" threaded proof carbon barrel, a bighorn or impact action, bottom metal I am not sure, triggertech trigger. I like the Proof Elevation MTR and Nosler M48 LR Carbon (if it were 24"), those two tick many of the boxes for me but both are close to or over $3,000. I'm unsure at that price if it would be better to build or buy a custom rifle that has exactly what I want. Buying all the parts and then working with a reputable gunsmith I think will probably be much more, I wrote to a number of well-known builders and got quotes running between 4-6k. I know that I will get what I pay for and in the future I hope to go that way. For now I am struggling with those numbers and would rather have things be under 3k. I get the feeling that some parts are easier to put together than others, but I have no illusions about my gunsmithing skills. Thanks for any thoughts or advice about how you approached your first custom purchase or build

24" Proof Pre-fit-$830
Bighorn Origin- $925
Manners EH1- $797
M5 DBM- $171
CIP mag- $80
Trigger Tech Special- $200
Barrel Vise/Action Wrench- $215
$3218+shipping and you can assemble it in your basement.

Or for $1800 you could get much the same features out of a Christensen Ridgeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcmullis2
24" Proof Pre-fit-$830
Bighorn Origin- $925
Manners EH1- $797
M5 DBM- $171
CIP mag- $80
Trigger Tech Special- $200
Barrel Vise/Action Wrench- $215
$3218+shipping and you can assemble it in your basement.

Or for $1800 you could get much the same features out of a Christensen Ridgeline.
If the OP goes with a custom build the parts will retain most of their value. The minute the factory rifle becomes his it’ll lose a large amount of it’s value. If he can even find a buyer. IMO he’s better off with the custom build.

id take a Zermatt over a christenson any day

factory rifle seekins havak

krg bravo as a sub for EH1 and DBM

find someone close with a vise. they're everywhere

Reactions: Steel head
I am grateful for your replies. TheBoctor I appreciate your pricing out each component for me. When you say "you can assemble it in your basement" I am unsure if I can do this. I am a good auto mechanic and have an excellent selection of high quality automotive tools but do not have experience as a gunsmith. I have looked at Christensen I do not know why they don't gel with me. jcmullis2 I did not know that factory rifles lose their value so quickly thank you. It is good to know that the individual parts retain their value better. b6graham I have looked into Seekins I know they are very popular and a great value. I held a Prohunter and the grip swell doesn't fit my hand I found it uncomfortable. Also I found the action stiff and I'm not into fluted barrels (again I do not know why). I held and ran the action of the Proof Elevation LW Hunter and the action (Zermatt Origin) was gorgeous. I liked it even more than my Tikka CTR action. I didn't know that the KRG Bravo can substitute for both the Manners stock and the bottom metal. Thanks for this too. I have heard great things about KRG. Re: tools what is necessary to put this together. I have a high quality torque wrench and bench vice (but I think this is a different animal). I do not want to risk any chance of breaking these expensive parts.

I'm planning on swapping barrels on my r700s. I've checked out a lot of YouTube videos and searched the hide for information on remage. I'm a tractor mechanic. If I can do it, you can too! I did not see go no go gauges listed yet.

Reactions: Jcrios014
I am grateful for your replies. TheBoctor I appreciate your pricing out each component for me. When you say "you can assemble it in your basement" I am unsure if I can do this. I am a good auto mechanic and have an excellent selection of high quality automotive tools but do not have experience as a gunsmith. I have looked at Christensen I do not know why they don't gel with me. jcmullis2 I did not know that factory rifles lose their value so quickly thank you. It is good to know that the individual parts retain their value better. b6graham I have looked into Seekins I know they are very popular and a great value. I held a Prohunter and the grip swell doesn't fit my hand I found it uncomfortable. Also I found the action stiff and I'm not into fluted barrels (again I do not know why). I held and ran the action of the Proof Elevation LW Hunter and the action (Zermatt Origin) was gorgeous. I liked it even more than my Tikka CTR action. I didn't know that the KRG Bravo can substitute for both the Manners stock and the bottom metal. Thanks for this too. I have heard great things about KRG. Re: tools what is necessary to put this together. I have a high quality torque wrench and bench vice (but I think this is a different animal). I do not want to risk any chance of breaking these expensive parts.
Go/no go gauges in the caliber that you're looking to use, and a barrel vise (viper barrel vise is a nice one and not too $$)

If you have a hydraulic shop press, drill a hole in an oak block the size of or slightly larger than your barrel. Cut it in half and insert leather pieces to protect your barrel. Then put it in your shop press. Barrel vise on the cheap.

Thank you Jscb1b for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I had not even considered the possibility. If you can share any of the videos or threads you found useful I appreciate it. Jcrios014 thank you for the recommendation re: viper barrel vise I will look into it. Jscb1b thank you also for your suggestion re: using a shop press w/oak block and leather barrel protection. Does the rifle keep its value more when a reputable builder puts it together vs doing it one's self.

Reactions: Jcrios014
I can't help with the value part. I don't buy reloaded ammo. If someone told me they put together the rifle themselves I would be leery of buying it. Unless it was a smoking deal and I had time to look it over real good. As far as videos and posts, I googled barrel removal and remage headspaceing. As for posts, go to the gunsmithing forum and search remage and headspace. Good luck!

The benefit of going with say an origin action is that you can do the work yourself with the aforementioned tools. If I'm not mistaken the origin uses savage small shank thread pattern. I can tell you from my experience swaping out the barrel on my model 10 (308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 X 47L, 6 Creedmoor) I've never had any issues. There are a few videos on YouTube that do a better job of walking you through the process than I could explaining.

Thank you Jscb1b and Jcrios014. I clearly have extensive studying to do. Looking forward to planning this build and next steps.

And another benefit of an Origin and shouldered prefit is you dont need to mess with a barrel nut