• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions Regarding Granby Bow & Gun Club in MA

Lombardia

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2019
Hello I am finally considering taking the plunge into long(er) range shooting. Lived in RI for a long time and only had access to 200 yard rifle ranges where just about anything will do plenty fine so I never thought twice about longer range or more accurate rigs especially seeing as how I don't plan to compete. I recently shot at Woodcock at 500 yards and was pleased to see that my "rack grade" guns with bulk ammo still do quite well but I think that's the limit. I got a buddy who was a Marine designated marksman and is teaching me all the ballistics stuff and I saw that there is a 1000 yard range that I could have access to.

Anyway anyone know what Granby Bow & Gun club is like? It's a bit of a haul for me and wanted to do my research before taking the plunge. Most specifically I read about in the past there were caliber limits and issues with muzzle brakes or loud guns due to skitterish neighbors regarding noise. I saw the courts ruled that the town cannot deny them use of the land or their 1000 yard range since the club was there first. Is anyone aware of any such current restrictions?

Many thanks

I checked their website . They have a link for questions and an faq page . I would start there .

I checked their website . They have a link for questions and an faq page . I would start there .
Already did and was looking for more info and/or to connect with especially people here who either might be members or who've shot there.

I was a member for 8 years before moving to Texas. Pre-long range ban the requirement was to qualify @ known distances 5/6/7/800 yards and do their safety orientation. Then you had had access to the range dawn to dusk.
Long range was done from a brim above the range, so occasionally if you got there and someone else was there you’d have to wait for them to finish And was never a problem.

The long range is open, so steel out to 1.1k.

It’s the only range in long range in Mass and the next closet is the Sig Range.

Given that, it’s really the best option, good people, and no mass-holes.

I was a member for 8 years before moving to Texas. Pre-long range ban the requirement was to qualify @ known distances 5/6/7/800 yards and do their safety orientation. Then you had had access to the range dawn to dusk.
Long range was done from a brim above the range, so occasionally if you got there and someone else was there you’d have to wait for them to finish And was never a problem.

The long range is open, so steel out to 1.1k.

It’s the only range in long range in Mass and the next closet is the Sig Range.

Given that, it’s really the best option, good people, and no mass-holes.
Thank you. They have changed their ranges to 1/2 day so their (shorter distance) rifle range is open half the time and the long one the other half of the day. I alternates every other month like that.

I was concerned if any type of weapons were banned like larger calibers or muzzle brakes. I did look up a few posts on this forum already and saw people shooting 338 lapua there for example but it was suppresed. I live in RI so since silencers are banned that is not an option for me I wanted to know what I could or could not shoot.

How do you actually join the club and become a member? They are vague and provide contradictory info. In one place it says just buy it online paying w/ card or paypal, await 1 week for the range card to arrive then show up to an orientation. The other place in website states you need to show up in person to the range itself and get a packet. I have emailed the contacts w/o satisfactory reply. Any knowledge on how this works?

Tag.

I was a member for a year when it was $70. Was a great opportunity to ring steel at 1,000 yards. The following year the long range area got shut down by the town.

I just checked their website, looks like a long range qualification day is coming up 4/16.

New members it’s $475, renewal is $375

Tag.

I was a member for a year when it was $70. Was a great opportunity to ring steel at 1,000 yards. The following year the long range area got shut down by the town.

I just checked their website, looks like a long range qualification day is coming up 4/16.

Looks like you might have to get a normal membership on top of the long range “pass”.

Tag.

I know and won't be ready for 4-16 which is why I am asking these questions so that I can possibly prepare. Did you have to pick up the membership paperwork at the club or could you just pay online?

I did look and the 375/475 "gold plus" membership covers all the bases both the regular membership as well as the long range. I already belong to a local club with 200y outdoor and steel pistol pits as well as trap/skeet so the only real reason I would join is for the long range otherwise my club is 8 minutes from my house. The only reason for me to drive almost (but not quite) an hour and a half would be 1000 yards.

Memberships are purchased online. All of the instruction appear to be on their website. I confirmed that it would be $475 the first year and $375 after that, as long as you maintain membership.

The lower shooting positions goes out to 600yds. And would be $225/$125.

Keep in mind there is a rotating schedule for the ranges.

I’m a member of the BoD at Granby and specifically utilize the “long range” portion of the rifle range.. If anyone has specific questions you can PM me and I can send my cell to text/call for any questions.