• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions regarding joining military.

ryan_th3_k1d

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
Hi,
I'm considering joining the USMC. And am planing on doing 4 years in the infantry and trying to get accepted in their sniper school. What is the possibility of getting into the school? What can I do before joining that will help my chances of being selected? Thanks, from a newbie looking for information.

I'm guessing you would need to be a well above average soldier in the first instance. Until you are, you won't know if you are made of the right stuff. You need to be at the very least happy being a normal infantry soldier. Then, if you think you are good enough and you prove yourself - you might get the opportunity.

I know my opinion may count for shit, but you may want to pick a different service and a different job, one you can use once you get out of the military. I realize you are young and being a sniper appears exciting but it really does not set you up for anything later in life. Yes, people will chime in and argue that "you can get a contractor job" blah blah blah, just a word of advice from an old retired Chief so take it or leave it...Good luck in whatever you choose

Lots of running, then after you're done running, run some more, and when you're done that put on a rutsack and run some more. Someone else will chime in with more information as to specifics but I know not a single marine with a combat MOS who doesn't have excellent cardio .

Then after someone more qualified to speak on the topic says something... You know what you're going to do? March for 6 miles.

Best of luck to you. Just know that even if you do everything you ought to in order to prepare, are the best boot in the class, become the best infantryman in your unit, ace every PFT, and save a whole pre-school class from a building fire, you still may not get selected. Things happen: personal, administrative, medical, or just crap out of luck timing. Be sure that you want to be a Marine first and MOS second. It might turn out that you don't get any MOS you expected. That's how it went for me in the Navy. But I can't complain about my time so far - I've been much more fortunate than most. Just focus on growing where you are planted. Apply for all the things you want, but be satisfied with what you get.

I know my opinion may count for shit, but you may want to pick a different service and a different job, one you can use once you get out of the military. I realize you are young and being a sniper appears exciting but it really does not set you up for anything later in life. Yes, people will chime in and argue that "you can get a contractor job" blah blah blah, just a word of advice from an old retired Chief so take it or leave it...Good luck in whatever you choose

I have received this advice from multiple people who has served. However, I already have two years of college and 1 and a half years in the oil field. From my understanding of the military is to kill people and blow stuff up and I'd like to be on the front lines of that. After my service I plan on finishing my degree and from there be able to find a decent job in the civilian world.

As to the running and hiking, I've grown up hiking and backpacking 14ners in colorado. And the elk hunting I've done consisted of hiking in 6 miles of mountains and then hiking the meat out. And I am starting to try and run/mountain bike daily as preparation.

From my understanding of the military is to kill people and blow stuff up and I'd like to be on the front lines of that. .

For this reason alone you have no idea what you are getting into and take it from someone with experience, you do not want that, you may think you do but trust me, you don't

For this reason alone you have no idea what you are getting into and take it from someone with experience, you do not want that, you may think you do but trust me, you don't

I second this! No offense, but I don't think you are ready for the USMC. Anyone that really wants to go kill people and blow crap up like you are talking about or wants to go to war needs to have their head examined.

Understood....it's probably just my testosterone and over romanticed view of war. In your opinion what MOS would you recommend?

Ryan you've probably turned off 90% of the body of knowledge that likely would of guided you upon the right path.

Honest suggestion you may want to start over in another year or two, and take it from a guy that's done the civilian overseas bit. It is NOT as easy to land a gig as the people who spoke to you lead you to believe. Pay has decreased, rules of engagement have changed, the media is all in our shit. It's not 300k plus jobs that were around 5-10 years ago.

Fuck that, go guaranteed infantry 0311, shoot expert x2, you might get a shot at sniper school. You will not know it's coming, all of a sudden your name will be called, you will force march out to a range and shoot your rifle for score. Then you will find out that you will not be going to sniper school and will serve the rest of your enlistment as a grunt. Good luck.

Go in as 03 infantry. Try out for STA platoon when you get to your unit after SOI. Try and get expert, but don't worry because if you don't rate expert they will keep you at the range until you do. Run, run, run with a ruck. Study mil conversions, range estimation and Kim's games.
Just try out and give it your all.
Best bet though, go recon from SOI and you'll get opportunities to go to any school. Don't let the naysayers give you shit, do what you want. In my opinion there is nothing worse than growing old wishing you did what you want and having settled. This is most true when it comes to POG ass jobs. They'll give you shit but it's only because they're jealous they don't have the balls to gunfight. You'll have an arrogance and well deserved pride. Slay bodies, fuck POGs.

Last edited:
Go in as 03 infantry. Try out of STA platoon when you get to your unit after SOI. Try and get expert, but don't worry because if you don't rate expert they will keep you at the range until you do. Run, run, run with a ruck. Study mil conversions, range estimation and Kim's games.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than growing old wishing you did what you want and having settled.

What's the best way to study mil conversions, range estimation, and Kim's games? Book? Website? Etc...

That is the reason I'm looking at joining and serving, no regrets!

Look online or get ahold of some literature. They'll drill the required info into your head anyways if you're a PIG. But run run run

I second this! No offense, but I don't think you are ready for the USMC. Anyone that really wants to go kill people and blow crap up like you are talking about or wants to go to war needs to have their head examined.

Really, I know plenty of people including myself who joined up to do just that! I second going Recon and if you can shoot you might get a sniper slot. As far as I have seen, you need to be able to shoot well.

You just showed your only real interest is killing and blowing shit up. You won't even come close to being selected for a thought to be selected for any serious school, much less on with a S, or TS clearance. You also appear to not fit the profile very well, but I will let someone who has btdt let you know on that.
Where the hell is AHO BOOGERSHAT when ya need him. HE is the one who can give you very valid and pointed insight on what you are asking about.

If any of you know who AHO BOOGERSHAT is, you probably know what he does and what position he holds professionally
Semper Fi, Sir!

Bullshit, if you want to do this go sign up. And bring the mental capacity of " I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ". You will do just fine.

image.jpgI know plenty of guys who joined just to gunfight. Most of them ended up SS, recon, force or MSOB.
Don't be discouraged. You can join some POG job and always wonder "what if"? Or you can handle it, get out (if you end up only doing 4 years) and take the brutal work ethic to the civilian work sector. You'll do just fine.
Plus, you won't end up being some aircraft mechanic who goes home, wears his dog tags or cammies out in public and tells someone he's a sniper (like it seems almost every POG does).
Every Marine a rifleman? Yeah right.
Being successful after the infantry is about the man, the mindset and the drive.
"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Last edited:
View attachment 46669I know plenty of guys who joined just to gunfight. Most of them ended up SS, recon, force or MSOB.
Don't be discouraged. You can join some POG job and always wonder "what if"? Or you can handle it, get out (if you end up only doing 4 years) and take the brutal work ethic to the civilian work sector. You'll do just fine.
Plus, you won't end up being some aircraft mechanic who goes home, wears his dog tags or cammies out in public and tells someone he's a sniper (like it seems almost every POG does).
Every Marine a rifleman? Yeah right.
Being successful after the infantry is about the man, the mindset and the drive.
"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

I think I can understand what you're trying to say, but filling the kid's head with all sorts of "be this or you're nothing" bravado isn't going to do him any favors. I know a guy who got rolled back and eventually out of BUDS because he got femur'd twice during training. You can be the best grunt/sniper/space shuttle door gunner around and still get hit by a bus one day, leaving you at a desk for the rest of your life. What matters is what you do with the time and talents you are afforded. Try for what you want, but do the best with what you get. Those guys that go home and pretend to be something they are not are the ones that bought into the "be this or you're nothing" mindset. Anyone who disdains people who never picked up a rifle and went downrange needs to have a moment of introspection and figure out why they bothered to do so.

If you really want to kill and be in a war you could buy a plane ticket across the pond and join up with the Kurds. I'm sure they would give you the title of sniper rather quickly . If you decided war wasn't for you, you could defect without dire consequence.

I'm not filling the kid's head with anything. He came here, he said what he wanted to do, and the majority of the feedback he has gotten were disparaging comments advising him to change his ambitions. People that want to join the infantry, want to join the infantry. You don't join because you want to sit on a base in some Libo country with some wookie chicks. You join the infantry because you want to fight. The fight which you take to the enemy is one with a primarily fatal outcome. So then it's absolutely appropriate to say "slay bodies".
I have a disdain for POGs (as do most of those I have encountered in the infantry) for many reasons. These extend to the "accommodations" which are made for them. They usually end up being the ones who whine about not having a chow hall or doing "field ops" in front of their barracks. You join the infantry to be part of the fighting force for which every other job's sole mission is to support you in some fashion.
You join because you like the pain and it makes you a better person (introspectively) for it.
Hit by a bus? If you cannot cut it in the infantry because of a physical disability, fine. But bear in mind there are SS guys who have lost an eye, a limb and other things that are pulling weight.
You can't romanticize a desk jockey, nor a "chairforce" guy who basically works for a corporation (with the exception of offensive pilots). You join the infantry for one thing, to fight. All the hardship molds you into a better and stronger man because of it.
So kid, don't let the comments of the butt-hurt people sway you. If it's what you want, go get it. If not, then don't. But if you choose it be damn sure because it isn't easy.

I agree that you really can't romanticize a desk. But I think the point many were trying to make is that blindly romanticizing anything is foolhardy. Be proud of who you are and what you do, but don't tie your entire identity to it. While you may disdain others for not doing what you do, remember that whatever you're doing now will come to an end. At some point, you won't have it anymore, and either you will have to always live in the past to keep that identity in your mind, or you will live in the present and have lost your old self. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't join the Marines, try to become an infantryman/sniper/whatever he wants. But it's important for him to understand that there's more to a man than his job, title, car, bank account, marksmanship capability, how many friends/acquaintances/admirers he has, etc. Ryan, make sure you know why you are joining, and how you can serve that purpose wherever you end up.

I became a marine because that's all I wanted. Before I signed up, my dad (former marine) sat me down and ask me all of the typical questions. Then he explained the big picture of which at that time I never thought of even half. My dad started by saying, "Son whatever you choose to do in life, do it out of love. By joining the marines, you'll have opportunities to make a difference in the lives of others in places outside of the US., other than the responsibilities you'll be tasked with. Do your best even when you don't want to. Most if all, love God and others first."

It is my understanding the psychological part of the selection process weeds out those whose idea it is to be a sniper because they want to be a killer. It is more about what it takes to basically go one on one with the enemy through a scope and 1. being able to pull the trigger knowing you are about to take a life, and 2. being able to deal with that act afterwards. In many of the books I have read it is these 2 things that are often cited and some have been able to deal with it, and others it haunts them

Being in the military is not about killing and blowing shit up, but that is unfortunate part of the job these days. When I joined the Army it was to defend my country knowing I may have to kill to do that, but not looking forward to having to. Fortunately, I didn't have to. Would I have? Yes, because that was part of the job. Would it haunt me? Probably, but in a kill or be killed situation I think I could have lived with it. Personally, I think I have the talent to do the sniper's job from the shooting standpoint, psychologically I don't believe I have what it takes to look through a scope at another living being and be able to pull the trigger. One doesn't know until that moment is upon us. No amount of shooting targets will prepare us for that.
my $.02

As much as those at the top want to cut the size of our armed forces I believe there will be plenty of opportunity to ply the trade. Just look at the current events on a world view. There are plenty of crap hole places ready to explode. No matter what is said in the news those advisors going here and there are not desk jockeys. If you want to be part of it go put your name on the line at your recruiters office. You are only going thru life one time. Don't regret not doing what you want. Look at who the nay sayers are. Most of them were not in the USMC. Worst is you get out in four years and get on with your life. You may end up finding that you love the Corps and spend the next 25 to 30 there. If the first 4 are not what you wanted then spend some time finishing your schooling while you are in and do a change of MOS when you re up. Or get out and get on with life. Don't let people piss in your Corn Flakes. Go for it if that's what you want to do. That's what makes America great.

You just showed your only real interest is killing and blowing shit up. You won't even come close to being selected for a thought to be selected for any serious school, much less on with a S, or TS clearance.

Why? Just by stating that my opinion of the our military is to remove those individuals from the face of the earth that would love to come (and have came) over here and murder thousands if not millions of our civilians? So then what is the purpose of our military? And what have we done to our enemy's in the past?

And to Mark Williams who stated I could join the kurds...WTH? If my intentions were just to get for myself a "sniper" title there's plenty of ways to do that here by shooting innocent civilians with a rifle and the media would instantly "honor" me that title.

And yes, I know that the Airforce and probably Navy personal have a higher quality of life during their service. And if my goal was just to use the military to get me a cush job in the civilian world then yes i would probably join the USAF or Navy. However, I already have enough saved from working that I could pretty much pay my own way through college and land a fairly high paying job in the civil world.

My goal in joining is to serve my country and defend her from those wish to do the USA harm. I guess this means I'll have go schedule to have my head examined as per advice from silentstalkr.

Thank you JaysonF for your encouragement and yeah I'll start running more. And yes, TNT and others: Thank you for your kind words, I know that there is much more to a man than his title or money etc. This isn't a decision I've came to quickly or lightly, I have and will continue to make this decision knowing the serious life changes and consequences. And my goal of becoming a sniper isn't to be able to brag to my friends and girls that i was this super maucho marine sniper guy who's killed x amount of people from x amount of yards off. It's to serve my country to the best of my abilities and if my abilities aren't good enough for sniper then I will continue to serve to the best of my abilities wherever I end up.

As much as those at the top want to cut the size of our armed forces I believe there will be plenty of opportunity to ply the trade. Just look at the current events on a world view. There are plenty of crap hole places ready to explode. No matter what is said in the news those advisors going here and there are not desk jockeys. If you want to be part of it go put your name on the line at your recruiters office. You are only going thru life one time. Don't regret not doing what you want. Look at who the nay sayers are. Most of them were not in the USMC. Worst is you get out in four years and get on with your life. You may end up finding that you love the Corps and spend the next 25 to 30 there. If the first 4 are not what you wanted then spend some time finishing your schooling while you are in and do a change of MOS when you re up. Or get out and get on with life. Don't let people piss in your Corn Flakes. Go for it if that's what you want to do. That's what makes America great.

Thank you! You've put into words my thoughts on joining!

FWIW I appreciate your desire to serve our country, and truly wish you the best of luck whatever you do. I really wish I had made a career out of it, but anyone else here who was in the Army in the 80's knows what kind of bullshit it was. Honestly if I had to do it all over again I would have joined the Corp.

My best advice is to prepare yourself for the event you wont be selected, or, if selected you wont pass. Upon understanding this do your best and then some. Realize that if you don't make it you will be an 0311 on the front with the rest of the grunts (I know...that's an Army term).

I was like you when I was your age. I wanted to be John Wayne, Special Forces, Ranger, Airborne HOOOORAHHH all the way. I didn't even make it through the first part of selection and had a hard time dealing with being just another 11B. Probably another reason I didn't stay. 30 years later I wish I knew then what I know now, but shit happens and my Flux Capacitor is broke and I cant get the parts until 2045 ;)

If you want to blow up shit and kill all day every day join the french foreign legion bunch of killing machines. But like everyone else get a good mos that transfers to civi side. You can still get a slot into some schools, even sniper, with a POG mos. Atleast in the army………………..Btw if you can't sit still for hours/days and collect data don't bother. The job is more forward observer than shooter. Way bigger than the the gun and crazy cerebral. Can you find a random persons pattern? Or even your own?

Questions regarding joining military.

If there is ever a good time to join the Marines, now is not it.

From this time forward and for the foreseeable future, to kill things and blow things up will be done almost exclusively by the few at the tip of the spear.

Meaning that you will need more than sniper school. Much more.

Last edited:
Hey Ryan, no pun intended man. I'm all for guys who want to join our service. That statement about you wanting to kill and blow shit up was where most people's opinion of helping ceased. I also love to blow shit up and wish you the beat of luck. If your serious and I think you are now, beleive and go get it. Best of luck!

The book Jarhead (not the movie) has a good recap of the trial to get into the sniper role.

Everything takes money- if you are a 4 year oriented person- in and out in 4, would they pick you for a specialized role???

As an employer, why would I want to use my resource to pay for an employees MBA if I knew they would leave and I would have to start all over again.

I don't know if it true in the military, but someone who wants to serve for 4 and get the GI bill or other benefits is fine.
I just don't know if they would spend the money to send someone into that specialty.

It's good thing a lot of other guys didn't join the military with the sole purpose of what it could do for them later in life, or a "whats in it for me" attitude.

The best decision I ever made was to enlist, and be a Paratrooper, in the 80's no less...
I never had much use for people, who's sole reason for joining was the college money, regardless of MOS.

Ryan, I won't marginalize you by calling you "kid"...follow your gut, and do what you want. If you end up hating life it's on you, if you follow other peoples advice, and end up hating life, you'll hate them and yourself for listening to them.

Bob

Start with infantry, take every school you can, and seize every opportunity. Having the title of infantryman is something you won't regret, ever, even if you get crippled in the line of duty.

When Op made the statement about "killing and blowing shit up," it turned many off. I don't think that it was necessarily what he said, just how he said it. To me, it came off as juvenile and immature. It's like a dumbass saying he wants to be a cop because he wants to be on SWAT, carry a gun, drive fast and kick people's asses. To a degree, those things happen, but not what anybody wants to hear from somebody on the outside looking to get in. Good luck with your decision. I was told that my hearing wasn't good enough for the Marine Corps in '95, but those were the Clinton years of downsizing military and there wasn't much war fighting going on outside of Serbia and Somalia, so LEO was the route I took.

Don't listen to all the old cranky guys. We all joined the Infantry to kill bad guys and blow shit up, nothing wrong with that. Those that never did wish they would have had a chance to test their metal in combat, a lot who did hated it and wished they never had, and then some of us had a good time and wish we were still there doing it. Loosing friends sucks, and takes a toll on you.

You better be smart, a PT stud, and not be an annoying douche. Work your ass off and try to be the best at every task you undertake, and you might find yourself with a chance at it. There is no easy way, and trying to learn dope charts and dumb stuff like that will probably get you laughed at. Good luck.

Go for it. It wont be what you think it is, but you'll never regret it. All you have to be is a little smarter than the average grunt, and stubborn enough to kill yourself before giving up.

Join the navy and do the Amphibious Recon course (ARC). Being a medic is very marketable and still get to be with the grunts.

I have received this advice from multiple people who has served. However, I already have two years of college and 1 and a half years in the oil field. From my understanding of the military is to kill people and blow stuff up and I'd like to be on the front lines of that. After my service I plan on finishing my degree and from there be able to find a decent job in the civilian world.

As to the running and hiking, I've grown up hiking and backpacking 14ners in colorado. And the elk hunting I've done consisted of hiking in 6 miles of mountains and then hiking the meat out. And I am starting to try and run/mountain bike daily as preparation.

For goodness sake, finish school, geo-engineering or something like that…sounds like you already have some experience in the oil biz. Good job to have if you like to be abroad and travel.
Last thing we need in the military is someone who WANTS to be on the "front lines killing and blowing sht up", bcuz the next place you might deploy is my hometown.

Why? Just by stating that my opinion of the our military is to remove those individuals from the face of the earth that would love to come (and have came) over here and murder thousands if not millions of our civilians? So then what is the purpose of our military? And what have we done to our enemy's in the past?

And to Mark Williams who stated I could join the kurds...WTH? If my intentions were just to get for myself a "sniper" title there's plenty of ways to do that here by shooting innocent civilians with a rifle and the media would instantly "honor" me that title.

And yes, I know that the Airforce and probably Navy personal have a higher quality of life during their service. And if my goal was just to use the military to get me a cush job in the civilian world then yes i would probably join the USAF or Navy. However, I already have enough saved from working that I could pretty much pay my own way through college and land a fairly high paying job in the civil world.

My goal in joining is to serve my country and defend her from those wish to do the USA harm. I guess this means I'll have go schedule to have my head examined as per advice from silentstalkr.

Thank you JaysonF for your encouragement and yeah I'll start running more. And yes, TNT and others: Thank you for your kind words, I know that there is much more to a man than his title or money etc. This isn't a decision I've came to quickly or lightly, I have and will continue to make this decision knowing the serious life changes and consequences. And my goal of becoming a sniper isn't to be able to brag to my friends and girls that i was this super maucho marine sniper guy who's killed x amount of people from x amount of yards off. It's to serve my country to the best of my abilities and if my abilities aren't good enough for sniper then I will continue to serve to the best of my abilities wherever I end up.

It is amazing to see so many guys here talk out of there ass about being in a Combat MOS!! You will never regret trying, just regret having given it a shot. I don't know of anyone personally who regrets having been in a Combat MOS. It is some of the greatest and worst times of your life.

Check out this website if you really want someone who knows how to get you in good shape. He runs a great program and will respond to emails. Military Athlete | Training and workout plans for military professionals

Sounds like an Alpha Rut Rut to me. Personaly I want piss and vinegar in a teammate. If you aren't there to kill and instill dominance over your enemy, you are dead weight.

I don't know about you, but I joined the military to fight. It didn't pan out that way I origonaly planned, but You either have a warrior's mindset or you don't.

Don't give the kid too much shit for being gun ho. Better than the beta, skinny jean wearing fucks wearing eye liner shipping off to sand hill.

He will learn soon enough what infantry does when not deployed and the art of painting rocks and doing police calls. Let him figure that shit out for himself.

OP, If you got the brass balls you think you do, and want to be a shooter, Get an option 40 contract. Many men will fail on their way to the 75th. Rangers do more D/A (direct action) than just about anyone, and gunfighting is their bread and butter. Hope you can swim and like to jump out of airplanes. If you make it there, you will have a better shot at going to cool guy schools including Army Sniper and SOTIC.

Even if you don't you will shoot more in a month than most grunts shoot in their lives. If you want to be an infantryman, there is no better place.

I'm not filling the kid's head with anything. He came here, he said what he wanted to do, and the majority of the feedback he has gotten were disparaging comments advising him to change his ambitions. People that want to join the infantry, want to join the infantry. You don't join because you want to sit on a base in some Libo country with some wookie chicks. You join the infantry because you want to fight. The fight which you take to the enemy is one with a primarily fatal outcome. So then it's absolutely appropriate to say "slay bodies".
I have a disdain for POGs (as do most of those I have encountered in the infantry) for many reasons. These extend to the "accommodations" which are made for them. They usually end up being the ones who whine about not having a chow hall or doing "field ops" in front of their barracks. You join the infantry to be part of the fighting force for which every other job's sole mission is to support you in some fashion.
You join because you like the pain and it makes you a better person (introspectively) for it.
Hit by a bus? If you cannot cut it in the infantry because of a physical disability, fine. But bear in mind there are SS guys who have lost an eye, a limb and other things that are pulling weight.
You can't romanticize a desk jockey, nor a "chairforce" guy who basically works for a corporation (with the exception of offensive pilots). You join the infantry for one thing, to fight. All the hardship molds you into a better and stronger man because of it.
So kid, don't let the comments of the butt-hurt people sway you. If it's what you want, go get it. If not, then don't. But if you choose it be damn sure because it isn't easy.

10/10

These threads bring out the betas and PTSD pre-canidates. You mean I joined the military and might actualy have to kill someone or see someone die? Where the fuck is my stress card Dr. SHARP?

If you want to blow up shit and kill all day every day join the french foreign legion bunch of killing machines. But like everyone else get a good mos that transfers to civi side. You can still get a slot into some schools, even sniper, with a POG mos. Atleast in the army………………..Btw if you can't sit still for hours/days and collect data don't bother. The job is more forward observer than shooter. Way bigger than the the gun and crazy cerebral. Can you find a random persons pattern? Or even your own?

The fuck you smoking......Please tell me what POG MOS are getting sniper school slots?

The ONLY non Infatry who are going to Army Sniper School are Cav Scouts, Special Forces (still infantry) and MAYBE EOD (more likely to get SOTIC). Only 11B and 18x would even get B4 ASI.

Why join the military for job training? If thats what you want, go to fucking college.

Kid sounds like he knows what he wants, all he needs to do is apply himself, harden his resolve and learn that it is better to die than quit/fail.

Hold this thought secure.... "killing and blowing shit up,"

My buddy during Viet Nam era ..was 2 years Navy Medic and 2 years Marine. HE volunteered to go the the Nam twice...they asked why..he said " to experience killing someone, a chance to do something I will never be able to do again." They thought he was crazy, and never let him go..FWIW.. :)

It's good thing a lot of other guys didn't join the military with the sole purpose of what it could do for them later in life, or a "whats in it for me" attitude.

The best decision I ever made was to enlist, and be a Paratrooper, in the 80's no less...
I never had much use for people, who's sole reason for joining was the college money, regardless of MOS.

Ryan, I won't marginalize you by calling you "kid"...follow your gut, and do what you want. If you end up hating life it's on you, if you follow other peoples advice, and end up hating life, you'll hate them and yourself for listening to them.

Bob

This is lost on most people. Its not about Me or what's best for me (well it can be if you want to be the best), its called SERVICE. Not paid OJT and school for a cushy job after. Everyone joins for different reasons, with patriotism and will to fight being among the fewest. Those few also comprise the majority of the tip of the spear. This is not by coincidence.

Sometimes the choices are made for you, and you cannot control it, but you never want to look back and say "I could have done more".

OP,

The ONLY reason to the Marine Corps Infantry, or the Marine Corps in general for that matter, is because you want to kill people and break shit. Not everyone gets to do it in real life, but that's the mindset you should have before joining the Marines. I personally didn't understand the guys who joined the Marines to be POGs, but at least our POGs were better than everyone else's.

If you want to be a POG, then the Air Force treats theirs the best hands down.

If you can embrace the suck and are willing to walk while others ride; work while others sleep; go hungry while others eat; train while others rest, and you have that inner drive and desire that makes you push on while others quit then you'll do just fine.

OP,

The ONLY reason to the Marine Corps Infantry, or the Marine Corps in general for that matter, is because you want to kill people and break shit. Not everyone gets to do it in real life, but that's the mindset you should have before joining the Marines. I personally didn't understand the guys who joined the Marines to be POGs, but at least our POGs were better than everyone else's.

If you want to be a POG, then the Air Force treats theirs the best hands down.

If you can embrace the suck and are willing to walk while others ride; work while others sleep; go hungry while others eat; train while others rest, and you have that inner drive and desire that makes you push on while others quit then you'll do just fine.

Good Post, Although if he wants to be a tip of the spear type.... MUCH more opertunity with the ARMY. Huge special operations apparatus and many more slots. He would be more likley to get a shot at ranger RASP/75th than he would with MARSOC. Many more sniper slots and funding for cool guy schools as well. My bud went to most of the well known and some not so well known civlian schools/courses after completing SOTIC. They would use classes like Barnhart and Blackwater as rewards/recruiting incentives.

Or you could get stuck guarding some embasy in some shithole where you aren't even allowed to defend yourself.