• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors queston for class 3 dealers

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
If you possess a class 3 SOT, can you register an AR15 receiver as a SBR without paying the $200 stamp. If not, then what are the options for acquiring a receiver for multi caliber use?

Re: queston for class 3 dealers

First you must be a Class III manufacturer to register/make class III weapons. That would make it legal for your business to posses it. You could keep it in your business name as long as you keep your FFL and SOT. saves you the $200 bucks on a form 4. If your doing to save money your better off to pay to have someone do it. Most class III guys should do it for $50-$100 range, then you'll only be out $300 or so. Reg and tax stamp. as a posed to $200 for your FFL and $500 a year for your SOT.
PM if you have any questions. Im a FFl SOT dealer.

I know that an individual can use a form 1 to make and register a SBR and pay the $200 tax. I have done this 2 times with AK krinkov kits. Im just curious if you could somehow do this tax free with a class 3 dealers license (not manufacturers license)

Generaly a 07 FFL SOT manufacture can register (manufacture) a SBR without paying the $200.00 tax. A 01 class 3 Dealer FFL SOT can only transfer NFA items tax free between other FFL SOT holders. You can do a form 1 on a AR-15 lower yourself pay the $200.00 just list the calibers on the form (22lr, 5.56mm, 9mm, 300 AAC Blackout) ect. I do not think ATF allows the statement multi caliber in block C on a form 1. The last one I did a few years ago the examiner wanted the caliber listed out. On the AR-15 lowers all of them are considered Multi caliber regardless of what the receiver is marked. The receiver is just that a receiver until it has an upper on it, the upper is what makes the gun a SBR. The upper also makes the gun a 5.56mm 22lr or a 9mm ect.

You just need a friend that is a manufacturer that will engrave/register the receiver as an SBR, then he can form 3 it back to you tax free.

Otherwise you are no different than a civilian when it comes to manufacturing SBR's...Form 1 and $200

Could a class 3 dealer purchase a Colt SBR or other from another dealer on a form 3 and use it for different calibers and length uppers.