• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick and easy rear shooting bag

Scratchthejeepguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
WI
My dog got a hold of my shooting bag a few weeks ago and I haven’t gotten out to replace it yet. A few days ago, I wanted to go shoot, and not wanting to use a leaky bag, I was scratching my head looking for a temporary solution.

I have a bunch of these pistol socks laying around and thought… hmmm that should work.

These are the pistol socks, I have bunches of them.
164978_10200792526630755_571417937_n.jpg

I didn’t want them so long, so I used zip ties to shorten them up. I turned them inside out so the zip ties would be on the inside.
947042_10200792526750758_1680844857_n.jpg

Here’s one bag full of sandblasting sand that I had left over.
417902_10200792527470776_2056215321_n.jpg

The sand will leak out of the other end even pulling the drawstring tight so I zip tied another sock and put the first sock inside it facing the other direction. Here is the final leak free shooting bag.
400694_10200792528710807_1529565912_n.jpg

And here it is with a rifle on it.
601669_10200792528510802_200788259_n.jpg

Remember this next time you lose or rip your shooting bag and need a quick spare!

Nice work! Good solution for those on a budget too. Still no sand going everywhere?

they have the pistol socks at gander for $3.00 now too
great idea
im going to try this using air soft beads

dave

Air soft beads would probably work better. I did drop it onto a clean white piece of paper, and a little bit of the finer sand does come out.

ziplocking the sand prior to bagging sounds smart. apart from the beads, I've heard of folks using less granular material that is versatile (like fire starting tinder/fluff and such). obviously not as squeezy as something like sand, but another option.

Very nice I like it. That is a great option after your dog has a bit too much fun with your shooting gear!

I made a couple of bogs using the rip stop fabric from old BDU pants, worked pretty well. I think I filled with rice if memory serves me.

i went to wal greens and bought a couple of packs of knee hi pantyhose, shoved one inside the other, filled with sand, then tied the end. then put that into the same kind of gunsock and tied it. no leaks yet, i have made a few of them.... you may get funny looks buying the kneehi's but i guess i shoulda wore a prettier dress and shaved

Excellent Idea! My dress sock is slowly losing sand even though I lined it with 2 grocery bags. I think I will use Poly beads on the next go around.

I did something similar, but I used air-soft bb's. Works quite well. The gun sock is much nicer than the home-made POS I did.. I will have to use your idea!

The type of granules that go in the bottom of fish tanks works better than round pellets and won't leak like sand. It's light too.

I have used rice with pretty good results, but it will suck up moisture if you don't put it in something like air tight.

Wow I don't know why I never thought about this! Ordered a 10 pack once to get a discount at midway. Thanks for sharing!

I filled mine with "uncooked" rice. It seems to hold up pretty well. If I am shooting in the rain and it gets wet I always have a spare bottle of soy sauce handy. Seriously though the rice works pretty well and is light weight enough to put in my range bag and not overload it.

Alternative natural fillers could include dried beans and/or split peas; Carlos H. used lentils. Socks, etc. need a waterproof liner, otherwise one might even become a victim of weevils, etc., or end up harboring spoiled porridge.

Greg

Last edited:
A friend and I were at the FBI Academy Trade show in Colorado Springs one year and afterwards we went prairie dog shooting but realized we forgot a rear bag. Stopping at a farm supply store we purchased a bag of popping corn and a box of zip lock bags, poured the corn in the zip-lock and then in a cotton sock, wrapped it up in camo duct tape and, presto! A well functioning rear bag. Still got it in my pick up trk. for emergency rear bag. So far, the mice havn't discovered it!! lol

I've had pretty good luck with both the "Rice Sock" and the "Poly-Bead Sock".

Perhaps another good use would be USED UP polishing media (I have lots of old corn & walnut media) in some sort of a RUBBER or NITRILE glove inside of one of these socks.

That way when you squeeze it - the bag expands. If its a ziplock bag it won't expand much or it will pop.

Best of luck.

~Will

looks good. lots of different ways to go about this. I used old corncob media inside a newpaper bag, and used a cheap pair of new soccer socks (knee high) to cover the bag. works quite well, no leakage. Now I just keep it as a spare.