• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick brass drying

anthonylapoint

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
central CT
I use ultra sonic cleaner for my brass. After I clean, I rinse with water but tonight I decided to crank the oven to 400 and pop my brass in just till they got hot enough to dry off.

My brass dried in like 5 minutes. No rust and no water spots. I don't use polish so they weren't perfect but good enough for me.

Anyone else use the oven?

I use the oven but at 180 for 30 minutes. I'm annealing at much more than that. 400 seems a bit too high. I do not know if you are at a dangerous temp. But hey. Back it off to 200 a go a bit longer?

I too would recommend backing it off to no more than 200.

I usually bake them at 185 for 15-30 minutes. Not sure if higher heat would change anything, but 20 minutes is not that long to wait for your brass to dry. At least not for me.

Agree with others. 400 degrees might weaken the cases and lead to issues. The sun usually quickly does the job for me in AZ, but a hair dryer or 20 minutes in the oven at 125 degrees works well at night!

I rinse mine in 50:50 water methylated spirits solution for a spot free dry; the metho helps the water evaporate faster. Depending on the weather; I put them on a baking tray to dry in the sun or 50 degrees C fan forced oven.

Cool. Thank guys, ill definitely back it way off then just to be safe. Unfortunately, it 39 degrees outside and te sun isn't much help now.

I just heat it to 115 and put them in standing overnight, 125 if I want it done faster (1 hour)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running them through an annealer will dry them very very quick. I usually shake out the water and roll them on a towel and dump them on the carpet. They're dry in a couple hours.

The Sun in Texas during the summer will not only dry thousands of cases in 2.5 beers but also make them too hot to hold in your hand.

IMG_20130727_144639_090_zpsd9095290.jpg

In the winter time I have a little heated fan I use but it takes longer.

7.jpg

Brass Dryer

This is simply a food dehydrator and could likely be found for even less $$$ elsewhere. It does a very good job...holds lots of cases, takes about 45 min (or less) and won't overheat the cases.

Last edited:
Brass Dryer

This is simply a food dehydrator and could limey be found for even less $$$ elsewhere. It does a very good job...holds lots of cases, takes about 45 min (or less) and won't overheat the cases.

This is what i use, just swivel / twist the whole dryer every 15 mins or so.

If you have a shoe rack that fits inside your dryer just set the bin full of casings on top of that and run it on low heat for 40 min.

I bought a salad spinner and it works really well. Spin it down several times and it will remove all of the water right away. Take about 8 minutes at the most.

I hate using the oven. When I do the brass ends up with a funny color. I use SS Pins for most of my cleaning and when the brass comes out of the separator I just shake well in a bath towel (like you'd polish a bowling ball) then anneal the cases. No issues with wet cases or cases being damaged because you forgot a batch in the oven.

For pistol brass that I don't anneal I've found that some "quality time" with a hair dryer, shaking them periodically in the same towel, dries them off quick enough.

If you want "instant dry" use Acetone (but do it outside). Lower the cases into a bath of acetone, remove, shake, and in just a few moments the cases are bone dry. This is how laboratory glassware is often dried.

I use both the ultra sonic and and stainless steel pins for cleaning, but drying I use my vibratory finisher. It only takes 10-15 minutes to dry them in There.
My method is after they are cleaned with ultra or stainless pin wet tumbled, I wash off with cold water, wipe them off with a towel and pop them on the corn cob media and turn the vibratory unit on, takes a little more effort, but it does two fold, drys and buffs your brass, not that it will help with accuracy lol but I like pretty brass.
Hope this help.
The other options guys said on here would work too, salad spinner, and a food dehydrator.

Brass Dryer

This is simply a food dehydrator and could limey be found for even less $$$ elsewhere. It does a very good job...holds lots of cases, takes about 45 min (or less) and won't overheat the cases.

Very good and common sense advice. Reloading is for fun not doing a physics degree.

Drain brass on a towel and give the brass a good shake to remove any larger drops from inside.

1-in the summer carboard box under the sun. Give it a couple of turns. It will dry quickly.
2-Winter: carboard box on top of one of the heater ducts in the basement. Make sure is just hot and not burning hot so not too close to the furnace unit.
3-Carboard box anywhere dry in the house. Next day will be ready.
4-A net / wire mesh on top of the air-conditioning compressor will dry them quickly between the heat and wind from the fan. Make sure you do not disrupt
the air flow or might interfere even damage the unit. You can hold this above w/o even touching using a support made with a wire frame.
5-hair dryer for those in a hurry.

...basically just about any source of heat and/or hot/warm air or simply a dry place and more time.
Cardboard boxes of all kinds are great because they will suck the moisture and will prevent water spots. And they are free!
A wide shallow cardboard box is the best so one can spread the brass and size will depend on where you have to put it and amount of brass.

I use both the ultra sonic and and stainless steel pins for cleaning, but drying I use my vibratory finisher. It only takes 10-15 minutes to dry them in There.
My method is after they are cleaned with ultra or stainless pin wet tumbled, I wash off with cold water, wipe them off with a towel and pop them on the corn cob media and turn the vibratory unit on, takes a little more effort, but it does two fold, drys and buffs your brass, not that it will help with accuracy lol but I like pretty brass.
Hope this help.
The other options guys said on here would work too, salad spinner, and a food dehydrator.

Exactly what I do. Works great and bass is ultra shiny.

One alternative to the "drying dilemma" is to have more brass. Take the brass you shot during the last session or two, clean it and put it aside to dry after shaking off al excess water.

Then use the brass you cleaned and processed a week or so ago for your next loading session.

Having more brass makes it so you don't have to hurry and dry it so you have something to load. Clean only when you have a full tumbler load when using the wet media and you are also being more efficient.

I was SS tumblimg dirty brass, sizing, prep then ss tumble again then would tumble in corn cob to dry. Then have to pick corn cob out of pockets. Pain in the ass. I catch all my ejected brass so there not hotting the ground and getting crap on them.

Now I size, prep and then ss tumble. Then wrap up in a towel and shake a few times. I then hold 3 at a time in my hand and blow them out and off with my air compressor. Not a drop of water left in them. I usally do 100 at a time.

Really cut a lot of time off the process. I do this with both .223 and .308 brass.

Last edited: