• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Quick Change options

regnar375

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
raymond NH
I asked a similar question a while back but did not know enough to ask it the right way, so after a lot of reading I will try again.

I am going to build a new rifle. I want the action to be a quick change. As I originally thought Inqas limited to a few but I think that any action can be made to a quick change .

I really like the Curtis. is the Axiom as ready to change a barrel out as the Vector? I ask because some of the stuffI read made it seem like there was a difference.

Impact. how is a barrel changed easily in this action?

Bar lock. CSN any action be fitted with this? is this something the Smith will do? Does it effect or change how I order new barrels for it?

My new build will be a 6mm. I want the ability to change the barrels my self to save time and money. So if I have missed something please educate me.

Thsnks

Define "quick".

Are you talking about wanting to get a barrel hot on the range, unscrew it then send 20 rounds with a different barrel with a zero offset, then go back to the first barrel? Or are you talking about the ability to set up the gun at home one way, go to the range and shoot for the day, then go home and disassemble and put together a new configuration to shoot another day?

I really like the Curtis. is the Axiom as ready to change a barrel out as the Vector? I ask because some of the stuffI read made it seem like there was a difference.

Impact. how is a barrel changed easily in this action?

Bar lock. CSN any action be fitted with this? is this something the Smith will do? Does it effect or change how I order new barrels for it?
The Curtis difference.
The axiom requires that you have some means of securely grabbing the barrel such as a vice or flats to get a wrench on it and torquing it on. More torque would be better and you would want to use an action wrench for that. You want it torqued on enough to not back off after heating and cooling and recoil or wiggle room for parts to shift.
The vector you can thread the barrel in only hand tight and then use set screws to hold it in place which requires no vices or wrenches beyond an allen wrench.

The impact is just like the axiom. Torque it on.

Barlock was similar to the vector in that you screw the barrel in hand tight and then you use the Allen wrench to mechanically secure it. Any action with a compatible thread pattern could use it. It’s out of production for the moment though. Any Smith could, whether they do or not is another question. Enough will.

Reactions: regnar375
The Curtis difference.
The axiom requires that you have some means of securely grabbing the barrel such as a vice or flats to get a wrench on it and torquing it on. More torque would be better and you would want to use an action wrench for that. You want it torqued on enough to not back off after heating and cooling and recoil or wiggle room for parts to shift.
The vector you can thread the barrel in only hand tight and then use set screws to hold it in place which requires no vices or wrenches beyond an allen wrench.

The impact is just like the axiom. Torque it on.

Barlock was similar to the vector in that you screw the barrel in hand tight and then you use the Allen wrench to mechanically secure it. Any action with a compatible thread pattern could use it. It’s out of production for the moment though. Any Smith could, whether they do or not is another question. Enough will.

Thank you

J. Sip and Sons in Utah just built me a switch barrel on a Remington 700 Action. I went 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. Barrel change is simply done by hand. hand tight and you are ready to fire. the Accuracy is good and Zero is repeatable. Zero windage shift from one barrel to the next only elevation. He built Langston's switch barrel he cold bored the mile milk jug with then swapped barrels and 4th round hit 2000 yd milk jug. not sure if that any help too ya.

Oh, and anything can be a switch barrel like the axiom and impact if the smith has the necessary measurements. The big deal about these recent custom actions is they are consistent enough action to action to be able to cut a barrel sight unseen. The remingtons etc are not consistent so they need to be individually measured for a shouldered barrel. But to tightening the barrel to the action is the same process.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Best option for all "quick change" barrel options is a vise in the back of your truck/car and a wrench to take it apart. Screwing on a barrel is as easy as putting a bolt in a nut... quite literally. You can do this with any action. I found the Vector to not be very repeatable at all even with trying multiple methods of putting the set screws on. Torquing a barrel on is the only way to get repeatable results. Prefits are available for a bunch of actions these days. Id say pick an action that has your favorite features, get a Viper barrel vise for 80$ and an action wrench for 70$ ish and you've got a quick change system.

Best option for all "quick change" barrel options is a vise in the back of your truck/car and a wrench to take it apart. Screwing on a barrel is as easy as putting a bolt in a nut... quite literally. You can do this with any action. I found the Vector to not be very repeatable at all even with trying multiple methods of putting the set screws on. Torquing a barrel on is the only way to get repeatable results. Prefits are available for a bunch of actions these days. Id say pick an action that has your favorite features, get a Viper barrel vise for 80$ and an action wrench for 70$ ish and you've got a quick change system.

Ok, what are the actions I can look at that I can get pre fits for?

Ok, what are the actions I can look at that I can get pre fits for?

Impact, Vector, Axiom, most of the ARC and Bighorn actions, Badger M2013/M2008, AI's, GAP Tempest. I'm sure there are a couple more. If you decide on an action that doesn't have prefits as an option you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a smith that will do your first one and make a record of your barrel specs. Then they should not need your action back again.

I agree. Define “quick” change.

Want to just use a set screw or two, or is a barrel vice and action wrench acceptable?

Also, planning on using AW or AICS mags?

Impact, Vector, Axiom, most of the ARC and Bighorn actions, Badger M2013/M2008, AI's, GAP Tempest. I'm sure there are a couple more. If you decide on an action that doesn't have prefits as an option you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a smith that will do your first one and make a record of your barrel specs. Then they should not need your action back again.
this. add ultimatum deadline which is similar to vector (60 degree, AW mags, prefit shouldered barrels).

just like you were told in the last thread

anything is 'quick change' with a vise. what's the real benefit to a setup like a vector or barloc/switchlug unless you NEED to change in field and you are gonna have to confirm zero anyways?

get a vise. 5 minutes and a new shouldered barrel is put on....all without ever seeing a gunsmith

to me it seems like you're so fixated on 'quick change' you're overlooking what you're going to be doing with the rifle and you still don't understand how shouldered barrels work and the benefit to them and how easy they are to change out

You can add Defiance, Lone Peak and a few others.

Which of these are controlled round feed?

Which fit AW magazines?

Integral lug and rail would be nice.

this. add ultimatum deadline which is similar to vector (60 degree, AW mags, prefit shouldered barrels).

just like you were told in the last thread

anything is 'quick change' with a vise. what's the real benefit to a setup like a vector or barloc/switchlug unless you NEED to change in field and you are gonna have to confirm zero anyways?

get a vise. 5 minutes and a new shouldered barrel is put on....all without ever seeing a gunsmith

to me it seems like you're so fixated on 'quick change' you're overlooking what you're going to be doing with the rifle and you still don't understand how shouldered barrels work and the benefit to them and how easy they are to change out

Fixated, no. But I do not know enough about how they work to ask a good question, that you are right about.

No I am not looking to be able to change a barrel in the field. I want the ability to want use profit barrels and to be able to change them out myself. after shipping and insurance, its close to 900 for a barrel for me.

Fixated, no. But I do not know enough about how they work to ask a good question, that you are right about.

No I am not looking to be able to change a barrel in the field. I want the ability to want use profit barrels and to be able to change them out myself. after shipping and insurance, its close to 900 for a barrel for me.

Than any action will work with a barrel vise sweat/swearing and a action wrench if pulling a factory barrel for the first time. The difference being some actions you can buy shouldered prefits like for big Horn others you will use a nut system like savage.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
And yes, AW mags. I do like the 60 degree throw of the axiom. I dont carecaboutva perfect return to zero. I dont care how it is changed as long as it is a way I can do it and not have to send it to a smith.

where are you paying $900 for a barrel? that's insane

again. ARC, Bighorn, Impact, Ultimatum, Curtis. all of those can get a shouldered barrel from a qualified smith sent right to you for $500-700

AW and 60 degree means vector or deadline

Any switch barrel system will work but the "pre-fit" barrel requirement is what will determine your action. Your smith can chamber multiple barrels for "your" action but if you want to purchase as needed, just look at the post right above.

Have a couple barrels on the way for my SSG 3000 this month. A sauer in 6.5 and a Benchmark in 6.5 as well.

It is nice that sig Sauer can export again .

where are you paying $900 for a barrel? that's insane

again. ARC, Bighorn, Impact, Ultimatum, Curtis. all of those can get a shouldered barrel from a qualified smith sent right to you for $500-700

AW and 60 degree means vector or deadline

Do any of the other newer actions take AW magazines even if not 60 degree lift?

You can add Defiance, Lone Peak and a few others.

Which of these are controlled round feed?

Which fit AW magazines?

Integral lug and rail would be nice.

Unfortunately, I've found Defiance is not an option for true prefits. Ive seen to much variance in headspace, but as I said in a previous post once a smith has done one barrel and recorded the specs, they shouldn't need the action again.

I think the ARC actions are the only CRF prefit that I can think of. There very well could be one or two more that I'm just not thinking about right now.

Not trying to advertise my service here, but I charge 350 for a blank (price is likely to go up a little soon with prices of blanks themselves going up recently), and 425 for the labor and threading the muzzle, then 20$ for shipping. Total for most prefits are 795$

Hoping to get a CNC machine sometime very soon and increase production of prefits and lower price.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I've found Defiance is not an option for true prefits. Ive seen to much variance in headspace, but as I said in a previous post once a smith has done one barrel and recorded the specs, they shouldn't need the action again.

I think the ARC Mausingfield is the only CRF prefit that I can think of. There very well could be one or two more that I'm just not thinking about right now.

Not trying to advertise my service here, but I charge 350 for a blank (price is likely to go up a little soon with prices of blanks themselves going up recently), and 425 for the labor and threading the muzzle, then 20$ for shipping. Total for most prefits are 795$

Hoping to get a CNC machine sometime very soon and increase production of prefits and lower price.
mausingfield. nucleus. archidemes
bighorn TL3 and origin

all CRF prefits

I’ve got an Impact action that I have been switching back and forth between a 6BR and a .223 remington with the barrel vise and action wrench it an easy switch and can be done in 5 minutes in the garage. Running it at 50ft/lbs and has been very repeatable.

So, the answer to your question is:

A plethora of actions will work since you don’t want a “quick” change as much as you just want to be able to change barrels yourself.

Now you need to figure out which action/s are for you.

Reactions: Sheldon N