• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

quick clot and celox question

Harley1903

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2012
GA, Warner Robins
Im not sure if this is in the right place, if not I am sorry.

Does anyone have any experience with Quick Clot gauze and Celox gauze? All of the packets that I have found for sale have an expiration date of a year or two. Does it really expire or is it a manufacture gimmick to keep people buying more? I’m looking at getting some for my med pouch on my vest for work, but I don’t want to have to buy more every two years if I don’t have to, and spend that money on other items. I know I would rather go with the gauze rather than the granules.
If anyone has any real life experience using these or anything like them I would appreciate any information in reference to these products or something else like them. Or if someone know the best places to buy them. Really don’t want to get them from ebay….

Re: quick clot and celox question

All medical supplies have an expiration date, even saline or sterile H2O, only for commercial use in most cases ie. fire dept. ambulance etc. just makes sure that items get rotated out and don't just ride in the truck and get beat up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xfyrfiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All medical supplies have an expiration date, even saline or sterile H2O, only for commercial use in most cases ie. fire dept. ambulance etc. just makes sure that items get rotated out and don't just ride in the truck and get beat up. </div></div>

I understand that everything like that for commercial use has and expiration date. What Im asking is there anything that makes up the product that will cause quick clot or celox not work after a certin time frame? We have a medic on our truck, but if we have to walk 2 miles to hit a target and something happens, I dont want to be holding something that has expired and is not going to work until we can get back to the medic.

Good question.
I had an incident last summer where someone camping next to me was cut bad.
We were many miles and many hours by road to get medical help.
I wished I had some of that gauze and/or quick clot.
I got out all of our first aid stuff and my Panty 6 went to work on him.
She cleaned it all out and controlled the bleeding and used old outdated Steri-strips to close it up.
Those campers left the next AM to get him to the DR.
We got home after our travels a few weeks later and picked up the hold mail.
In the hold mail was a letter from the guy that got cut so bad as well as a note from his doctor.
They were glad that we had all of the supplies on hand and he was doing fine. The small note from the Dr. stated that he had put in a few stitches between the steri srips and all actions were correct and had probably saved the guys thumb.
Made us both feel good and when Christmas came a nice package arrived from the guy and his wife.
Shortly thereafter an envelope arrived that had no return address but was loaded with fresh steri stips and a few other things that I know are not over the counter first aid supplies.
I think the Dr helped but don't know. I like to think that he did.
Regards, FM

Good question.
I had an incident last summer where someone camping next to me was cut bad.
We were many miles and many hours by road to get medical help.
I wished I had some of that gauze and/or quick clot.
I got out all of our first aid stuff and my Panty 6 went to work on him.
She cleaned it all out and controlled the bleeding and used old outdated Steri-strips to close it up.
Those campers left the next AM to get him to the DR.
We got home after our travels a few weeks later and picked up the hold mail.
In the hold mail was a letter from the guy that got cut so bad as well as a note from his doctor.
They were glad that we had all of the supplies on hand and he was doing fine. The small note from the Dr. stated that he had put in a few stitches between the steri srips and all actions were correct and had probably saved the guys thumb.
Made us both feel good and when Christmas came a nice package arrived from the guy and his wife.
Shortly thereafter an envelope arrived that had no return address but was loaded with fresh steri stips and a few other things that I know are not over the counter first aid supplies.
I think the Dr helped but don't know. I like to think that he did.
Regards, FM

The Quik Clot granules had a date of less than a year, I have some Quik Clot emergency dressing that expires this month, exactly one year. I use more gelfoam intra-op when cautery or vicryl ties don't work, because I can leave it in (also has a date); can't speak to field trauma. I definitely wouldn't use the old granules past their date; as far as other products I think in some cases the company won't so stability testing past a certain duration, but medico-legally no professional would use expired products.

As far as which to carry - do a search there have be 3 threads on this, one recent.

The majority of people have no need for this anyway.
Certainly not in a suburb/urban area. Best to leave it alone... So many want the tacticool stuff.
(I'm not talking about you in-theater guys)

Direct pressure and evac. Call 911.
I don't even know of ANY use of the
stuff by ALS responders. Wonder why that is...?

Get rid of it.

+1000 it's rough to cut out the stuff in the OR and when it's used and should not have been it results in time and tissue loss that shouldn't have, plus it burns like the devil and can cause shock in rare cases.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EmergencyNrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The majority of people have no need for this anyway.
Certainly not in a suburb/urban area. Best to leave it alone... So many want the tacticool stuff.
(I'm not talking about you in-theater guys)

Direct pressure and evac. Call 911.
I don't even know of ANY use of the
stuff by ALS responders. Wonder why that is...?

Get rid of it. </div></div>

I don't participate in on-line personal attacks so please accept that my disagreeing with the last two posters is not an attack on them. But bad information on an important topic is being put out and that needs to be corrected.

First, TBannister you are putting out incorrect information. When you mention the "OR" and debridement of wounds that leads me to believe you are a Surgeon or nurse. If you aren't, then you shouldn't be talking about things you don't know about. If you are a medical professional, then you need to do some CE time because you are flat wrong. EmergencyNrse, it sure sounds like you are a medical professional as well. "The majority of people have no need for this anyway." Really? Can you please tell me if I am in the majority or minority so I can know whether I need a medical kit or not? "Certainly not in a suburb/urban area. Best to leave it alone..." Leave what alone? Life threatening bleeding? How long does it take to exsanguinate (fancy doctor word for bleed to death) from a transected artery? We both know that is approx 4 minutes dependent on several factors. I guess all "suburb/urban area" locations are 4 minutes from injury site to trauma bay? I know my range isn't. "I don't even know of ANY use of the stuff by ALS responders. Wonder why that is...?" Seriously, there are hundreds of documented uses domestically and by DoD assets. Google is your friend. I know of several domestic agencies that carry hemostatics on every ambulance. NYPD ESU has had documented life saving uses for an example.
And the final one: "Get rid of it." Who tells someone with a viable, proven tool to get rid of it? For goodness sakes, a "I think there are better options" maybe but not "get rid of it".

Sorry if any of that came off too strong. Not trying to attack here but I think that one of the greatest things about Sniper's Hide is that people tend to stay in their lane. I have learned tons here about long range shooting (not my lane) by listening and not talking. As it so happens, this subject falls directly into my lane. I spent years as a special operations medic for several different organizations and have used hemostatic agents for the majority of that time in real world situations. I have participated in studies and training leading to advances in this technology. I have watched with interest this technologies growth into one of the greatest life saving tools available. I know PERSONALLY multiple persons who would not be with us today if not for this technology. I am not going to post my resume here but read on and judge for yourselves if I know what I am talking about or not.

In response to "+1000 it's rough to cut out the stuff in the OR and when it's used and should not have been it results in time and tissue loss that shouldn't have, plus it burns like the devil and can cause shock in rare cases." Your information is PARTIALLY correct but TEN YEARS OLD. The product you are referring to is the original granules. That product hasn't been manufactured for years. Yes, the stuff that isn't made anymore did get hot (the original formulation) but that was a trade off for life-saving results. That formulation isn't available anymore and the new gauze based products have "HEAT FREE" printed right on the packaging. The gauze doesn't have to be "cut out" of the wound anymore than any other normal gauze. There is no time or tissue loss associated with gauze based hemostatics. As far as it causing "shock", that's ridiculous and you shouldn't be saying stuff like that. It's just not true.

Now for some facts.

The Department of Defense did exhaustive (millions of your tax dollars spent) studies developing this technology. Quik Clot Combat Gauze is the selected hemostatic product of all branches of service. How often do all of the branches agree on a single product? M-16 platform, HMMWV, MRE's - not very often. This stuff works. Do you need it for every cut? Absolutely not. But when you need it you need it. This is like arguing about if you really need to carry a weapon concealed or not on a daily basis. Hey, statistics say you won't need that pistol. Who is going with that argument?

Gauze based hemostatics are the only way to go IMHO. The form factor is right for when you have adrenaline pouring out of your ears and someone's/your blood is pouring out onto the ground. Open package, stuff gauze into wound, apply direct pressure. Me likes easy when things are going bad. I used to tell my team when I trained them that I lose half my IQ points when the shooting starts and another 25% when someone gets critically injured.

Back to the OP's questions finally! I know, I know, I tend to carry on.

The three year expiration date on these products is the result of a FDA mandate and isn't set by the manufacturer. As it turns out, it is based upon how long the packaging maintains the sterile nature of its contents. Any flexible material allows some gas seepage. At some point enough exterior gas enters the packaging to render the contents "non-sterile" according to FDA guidelines. At that point the product is "expired". That being said, the real question is whether or not it still works. In the case of the Combat Gauze, the active ingredient is Kaolin which is an inert mineral. Meaning it will last hundreds of years since it is in essence a rock. BUT I don't want to be the guy using an "expired" product on someone. Pony up the $40 every couple of years. That being said, the FDA mandate is ludicrous since an open wound isn't sterile anyway. I would stuff goat dung in there if it will keep the patient alive. It's the surgeons problem to get it out (just kidding but one of my best buds is a trauma surgeon).

As to where to purchase. Technically these products are available to "Trained First Responders" or by prescription. You are going to get the longest dated life out of product bought through a distributor or the manufacturer. The reason you tend to see 1 year on the Ebay stuff is because guys are coming back from deployment and selling the stuff out of their IFAK. But if you aren't a "trained first responder" (police officer, EMT, First Aid class) and can't get your doc to write you a RX then Ebay may be your best bet.

LASTLY and very important. I just today got notice that the Chinese have finally gotten around to knocking off hemostatics. They are making a QuikClot ACS look alike (this isn't the gauze but a granule type substance contained in a mesh baggie). QuikClot ACS is still manufactured but isn't worth your time so don't sweat the knock off. Don't buy this stuff real or not. They have also knocked off a Chitosan Gauze product. This one looks exactly like the real thing. So your safest bet would be to stick to the Combat Gauze to avoid the fakes.

Wow! I have never written a post that long and am going to be seriously pissed if this thing disappears when I hit "submit". For any medical professionals I have offended out there (especially you EmergencyNrse), shoot me a PM and I can provide you some links to medical studies and resources if you are interested. Remember, I come in peace and just want the good info to get out there.

Bacon time (not child safe video)
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SktWh8rcqaQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SktWh8rcqaQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't participate in on-line personal attacks so please accept that my disagreeing with the last two posters is not an attack on them. But bad information on an important topic is being put out and that needs to be corrected.

First, TBannister you are putting out incorrect information. When you mention the "OR" and debridement of wounds that leads me to believe you are a Surgeon or nurse. If you aren't, then you shouldn't be talking about things you don't know about. If you are a medical professional, then you need to do some CE time because you are flat wrong. EmergencyNrse, it sure sounds like you are a medical professional as well. "The majority of people have no need for this anyway." Really? Can you please tell me if I am in the majority or minority so I can know whether I need a medical kit or not? "Certainly not in a suburb/urban area. Best to leave it alone..." Leave what alone? Life threatening bleeding? How long does it take to exsanguinate (fancy doctor word for bleed to death) from a transected artery? We both know that is approx 4 minutes dependent on several factors. I guess all "suburb/urban area" locations are 4 minutes from injury site to trauma bay? I know my range isn't. "I don't even know of ANY use of the stuff by ALS responders. Wonder why that is...?" Seriously, there are hundreds of documented uses domestically and by DoD assets. Google is your friend. I know of several domestic agencies that carry hemostatics on every ambulance. NYPD ESU has had documented life saving uses for an example.
And the final one: "Get rid of it." Who tells someone with a viable, proven tool to get rid of it? For goodness sakes, a "I think there are better options" maybe but not "get rid of it".

Sorry if any of that came off too strong. Not trying to attack here but I think that one of the greatest things about Sniper's Hide is that people tend to stay in their lane. I have learned tons here about long range shooting (not my lane) by listening and not talking. As it so happens, this subject falls directly into my lane. I spent years as a special operations medic for several different organizations and have used hemostatic agents for the majority of that time in real world situations. I have participated in studies and training leading to advances in this technology. I have watched with interest this technologies growth into one of the greatest life saving tools available. I know PERSONALLY multiple persons who would not be with us today if not for this technology. I am not going to post my resume here but read on and judge for yourselves if I know what I am talking about or not.

In response to "+1000 it's rough to cut out the stuff in the OR and when it's used and should not have been it results in time and tissue loss that shouldn't have, plus it burns like the devil and can cause shock in rare cases." Your information is PARTIALLY correct but TEN YEARS OLD. The product you are referring to is the original granules. That product hasn't been manufactured for years. Yes, the stuff that isn't made anymore did get hot (the original formulation) but that was a trade off for life-saving results. That formulation isn't available anymore and the new gauze based products have "HEAT FREE" printed right on the packaging. The gauze doesn't have to be "cut out" of the wound anymore than any other normal gauze. There is no time or tissue loss associated with gauze based hemostatics. As far as it causing "shock", that's ridiculous and you shouldn't be saying stuff like that. It's just not true.

Now for some facts.

The Department of Defense did exhaustive (millions of your tax dollars spent) studies developing this technology. Quik Clot Combat Gauze is the selected hemostatic product of all branches of service. How often do all of the branches agree on a single product? M-16 platform, HMMWV, MRE's - not very often. This stuff works. Do you need it for every cut? Absolutely not. But when you need it you need it. This is like arguing about if you really need to carry a weapon concealed or not on a daily basis. Hey, statistics say you won't need that pistol. Who is going with that argument?

Gauze based hemostatics are the only way to go IMHO. The form factor is right for when you have adrenaline pouring out of your ears and someone's/your blood is pouring out onto the ground. Open package, stuff gauze into wound, apply direct pressure. Me likes easy when things are going bad. I used to tell my team when I trained them that I lose half my IQ points when the shooting starts and another 25% when someone gets critically injured.

The three year expiration date on these products is the result of a FDA mandate and isn't set by the manufacturer. As it turns out, it is based upon how long the packaging maintains the sterile nature of its contents. Any flexible material allows some gas seepage. At some point enough exterior gas enters the packaging to render the contents "non-sterile" according to FDA guidelines. At that point the product is "expired". That being said, the real question is whether or not it still works. In the case of the Combat Gauze, the active ingredient is Kaolin which is an inert mineral. Meaning it will last hundreds of years since it is in essence a rock. BUT I don't want to be the guy using an "expired" product on someone. Pony up the $40 every couple of years. That being said, the FDA mandate is ludicrous since an open wound isn't sterile anyway. I would stuff goat dung in there if it will keep the patient alive. It's the surgeons problem to get it out (just kidding but one of my best buds is a trauma surgeon).

As to where to purchase. Technically these products are available to "Trained First Responders" or by prescription. You are going to get the longest dated life out of product bought through a distributor or the manufacturer. The reason you tend to see 1 year on the Ebay stuff is because guys are coming back from deployment and selling the stuff out of their IFAK. But if you aren't a "trained first responder" (police officer, EMT, First Aid class) and can't get your doc to write you a RX then Ebay may be your best bet.

LASTLY and very important. I just today got notice that the Chinese have finally gotten around to knocking off hemostatics. They are making a QuikClot ACS look alike (this isn't the gauze but a granule type substance contained in a mesh baggie). QuikClot ACS is still manufactured but isn't worth your time so don't sweat the knock off. Don't buy this stuff real or not. They have also knocked off a Chitosan Gauze product. This one looks exactly like the real thing. So your safest bet would be to stick to the Combat Gauze to avoid the fakes.

Wow! I have never written a post that long and am going to be seriously pissed if this thing disappears when I hit "submit". For any medical professionals I have offended out there (especially you EmergencyNrse), shoot me a PM and I can provide you some links to medical studies and resources if you are interested. Remember, I come in peace and just want the good info to get out there.

The Mechanic said:
Bacon time (not child safe video)
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SktWh8rcqaQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SktWh8rcqaQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Thanks for the facts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't participate in on-line personal attacks so please accept that my disagreeing with the last two posters is not an attack on them. But bad information on an important topic is being put out and that needs to be corrected.

Now for some facts.

</div></div>

Thanks for the info. I am a sheriffs deputy and I am on the sheriffs SRT team. Im not looking for something to put on little Timmys boo boo when he falls off his bike. Im just trying to put a few things in my tear off med pouch on my vest, just in case if I or one of my team members get shot or whatever then I can have something to help until that person can get removed from the area and to medical treatment. I have looked at the combat gauze and was planning on using that product. I have also been told by a few old school medics to carry a tampon or two to plug gun shot wounds.

I just joined the forum after reading this thread because it seems like my cup o' tea. I want to start by saying I have almost no medical training, always had an interest though. Both my parents are former LEO/EMT, we all volunteered with the RC for most of my childhood and I took what I could as far as A&P, health and first aid courses in HS and college. Like I said, not much, but I try to learn what I can, where I can.

I'm interested in this because I do a fair bit of hunting and backpacking in fairly remote areas and, should the worst happen, I like to be prepared for whatever I can. I recently acquired more celox granules (found a good deal on some with a 2017 exp date) and was wondering if I should just toss the old ones. I go with granules because the 2g pouches fit perfectly in my hard plastic first aid kit and leave room for standard gauze and other little things that I'm more likely to need.

Am I correct in thinking that it's ok to keep them around for an extra few years (they've been sitting in a water tight plastic case) and sterilization is the concern? I'm ok with non-sterile as it's ER is the next stop after getting the bleeding under control. Thoughts?

I forgot to mention that I keep them in my work bag also. I'm an production technician and do a fair amount of work in semi hazardous areas including carpentry shops (one of the main reasons I try to stay up on first aid) where I've seen/had the occasional run in with a power saw.

Toss the granules. As jbgleason has states, the gauze is the way to go these days. It's not for lacerations where the bleeding can be controlled on its own obviously, but if you have anything where the bleeding needs to stop and it needs to stop now until you can get emergency medical services, then it is your best option. I carry this gauze on my vest as well as two tourniquets and some other small emergency medical supplies on duty and also bring them with me on trips out to the desert / range.

I work with others who were combat medics deployed overseas and they are speak very highly of the gauze as well as the tourniquets. There have been incidents we've had guys use the supplies and even the fire/EMS crews were surprised we had the stuff initially and the guys did a damn good job getting the bleeding stopped.

JB nailed it. Combat gauze is the way to go if you can get it. I have minimal Army medical training, a few classes here and there, and some advanced team training with our medics when we could get them to help us out. My dumb grunt ass had no problem stuffing a wound. I felt like I was stuffing too much in there, but the dude lived, so I guess I did it right. THISGUY, I would keep that until you can get your hands on the Combat Gauze. Always better to have than not have, especially if you have artierial bleeding. Also a C-A-T Tourniquet is a nice thing to have around, even if you aren't in Astan. I had to use one I keep in my bag while at the lake last year. Dude fell drunk, smashed his beer bottle and lacerated his wrist. They couldn't get the bleeding to stop with the tshirts they were using. Luckly I had that, and straped him up. That thing was bleeding faster than the stuff I dealt with overseas, and the ambulance didn't get there for 25 to 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure he was glad I had it.

One of my buddies took all of his PJ training right into nursing school after he got out of the AF, he is now a nurse practitioner (makes shitloads of money) and is in the OR 3-4 times a week assisting surgeons. He has lots of experience in a field AND clinical environment and has the QC gauze in his briefcase, a separate kit in every car he owns, a kit in his house and a small kit in his range bag. Quik clot is like airbags in a car, it may not always be the perfect solution but it is better than the alternative.

Now for some facts.

Though I agree that Gauze based hemostatics are the way to go. I am not sure about all units in the military, I have seen a few a different med kits out there, but Quick Clot Gauze in not "the selected hemostatic product of all branches of service" as you have stated. We use Celox and their various products. We have have the Granules, Gauze, Ribbons and Celox-A in our kits.

Interesting reading. I have some experience with this, in a busy Level 1 ER, almost daily. We use it for epistaxis. Thats right, nose bleeds. If they do not subside with time, pressure if an anterior bleed, some afrin, or sometimes we try epinephrine soaked cotton balls, then we use quick clot.95% of the time it is this and the bleeding stops. Has dropped off our use if the rhino rockets big time.
Yep. Blew through our first case in just over a week.
I have been in medicine for a while, longest as a nurse in the ER. I will agree it could be used when not necessary by a nervous jackwagon, but the above example from my work shows me it has little negative effect if used for small bleeding.
I carry it in all my FA kits, extra packs in the one that goes to the range. Its $12-17 at REI. I just got some more. I dont stress about the expiration date for me, but others do, so I send my expired stuff to a third world clinic through a friend who started and runs one in Honduras, they are happy and grateful.

Since it got bumped, additional food, or product for thought:

iTClamp
Welcome to Innovative Trauma Care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ_BNl5INhM

It can be used with, or without, a hemostatic agent and/or wound packing.

It is not the best choice for everything, but it is a great option for injuries where a tourniquet would not be effective and it would require some type of significant bleeding control other than just direct pressure.

If you check the NREMT TCCC material posted above, it does a good job of covering the basics for field care.

Given the advances in everything from treatment to equipment, it is amazing what someone can do in the field to keep someone alive.

Last edited: