• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

quick help here

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
hey guys, ive done so much reading and asked several of my buddies about what im wanting to do but i would like to hear from yall as well. aight i want a nice precision weapon for medium to long ranges. maybe 800 yards max. so my dilemma is that i cant decide between a savage 10fcp with mcmilan stock (maybe the h&s precision) or a remington 700 ss r5. i love the r5 with the mil spec barrel and that smooth 700 action but i hate the stock. ive read and heard great things about savage but ive never owned one. between my dad and i there are 3 700 (all long actions) that shoot really well. ive never held a mcmilan stock but i love the way it looks and as silly as it sounds it kind of inspires confidence lol. my concern i guess is that since i love the r5 barrel and action should i just stick with that? or kind of go against the grain so to speak and test the waters with the savage? the twist on the r5 is 1 in 11.25 and the twist on the savage is 1 in 10. my dad and i reload together so that working for us. the caliber will most likely be 308 but havent completely ruled out the 300 win mag but its not likely at all. i just cant decide! its killing me. i mean the rifle will be for fun realistically as there arent many areas around me to stretch out a rifle at long ranges. ij plan on putting a bipod on the weapon and want to use my left hand up against my shoulder on the bottom to help hold/steady it so my action hand is more free. im not sure if the a5 mcmilan stock is more conducive for this type of shooting vs the r5 stock (which is a h&s precision). thanks for your time and here are links to both.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-700-milspec-308-ss-24in-5-r-barrel-9663-047700296630.aspx

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPMcMILLAN

Re: quick help here

There is an absolute PLETHORA of Savage vs. Remington threads on here, sir.

Please read through them and figure out which one gives you a woody.

If you can't decide, go somewhere and check out/feel both - and see which one gives you tinglies.

If that doesn't work, flip a coin.

Seriously.

First off, Welcome to the Hide! Second, though you say you've read a lot about it I can't help but think that you haven't read much on this sight about the common arguments between Savage and Remington as it has been beat to death. You're going to get people vying for both rifles. I'm a 700 guy myself and I find that there are a few more after market parts though not enough to completely count out the savage. I do prefer the 11.25 twist though and it works very well with 175SMK. That's a difficult combo to beat.

Long story short, if you want the Remington action, then get it and don't worry about the stock. Rather, buy an aftermarket stock or chassis that fits you perfectly. There are sooo many to choose from - AICS, KRG, XLR, McMillan, HS, ad nauseum. Don't buy your gun based on the stock - but rather the action!

I personally prefer my Remy 700 in the KRG Whiskey3 chassis as its stiff and very comfortable - and local to me!

thanks for the welcome! an di have read alot on here between the two but i was kind of looking for helpful info for my situation. im aware of the differences in each of them but like i said ive never owned or shot a savage. i was leaning towards the 700 r5 i just hated to get the gun and then wind up getting a different stock and having it bedded and all that jazz but i think your right and just stick with the 700. i shouldnt just base it off of the stock as it can be replaced if need be. thanks for the help guys

No problem. I personally don't get any stocks that need bedding. I look at chassis systems with alluminum bedding blocks. When I dropped my SPS 700 308 into a KRG stock it actually became more accurate with the same rounds. So, I see no point in getting a McMillan or similar only to have to get in bedded. My 2 cents.

Here's my sps 223 in a KRG. I think it's around $900 or so for the chassis.
IMAG0249.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rammerjammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the welcome! an di have read alot on here between the two but i was kind of looking for helpful info for my situation. im aware of the differences in each of them but like i said ive never owned or shot a savage. i was leaning towards the 700 r5 i just hated to get the gun and then wind up getting a different stock and having it bedded and all that jazz but i think your right and just stick with the 700. i shouldnt just base it off of the stock as it can be replaced if need be. thanks for the help guys </div></div>

Awesome! Glad you were able to decide on the Remington.. They are great rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problem. I personally don't get any stocks that need bedding. I look at chassis systems with alluminum bedding blocks. When I dropped my SPS 700 308 into a KRG stock it actually became more accurate with the same rounds. So, I see no point in getting a McMillan or similar only to have to get in bedded. My 2 cents.

Here's my sps 223 in a KRG. I think it's around $900 or so for the chassis.
IMAG0249.jpg
</div></div>

thats a nice rig u got there!!!

I can offer some info but the choice will have to be made based on your desire and needs.

I shoot M-24s routinely at work and own a heavy barrelled Remy 700. I love the guns and will surely buy another in the future.

A few years ago I bought a Savage 10FCP McMillan. I never owned a Savage rifle, never shot one, and all I knew is they were inexpensive (older guns). Since many folks were raving about their accuracy I decided to try one out. I am very please with my Savage. I love the McMillan A5 stock and the rifle shoots great. You need to know that the A5 stock on the 10 FCP isn't exactly the same as one you might order from McMillan. It is lighter and there is no pillar bedding but it is still a McMillan A5 and it's the most comfortale stock for me to get behind.

Recommend you get the remy 700 gun you want and slap it into a McMillan A5. Good Luck

Jet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can offer some info but the choice will have to be made based on your desire and needs.

I shoot M-24s routinely at work and own a heavy barrelled Remy 700. I love the guns and will surely buy another in the future.

A few years ago I bought a Savage 10FCP McMillan. I never owned a Savage rifle, never shot one, and all I knew is they were inexpensive (older guns). Since many folks were raving about their accuracy I decided to try one out. I am very please with my Savage. I love the McMillan A5 stock and the rifle shoots great. You need to know that the A5 stock on the 10 FCP isn't exactly the same as one you might order from McMillan. It is lighter and there is no pillar bedding but it is still a McMillan A5 and it's the most comfortale stock for me to get behind.

Recommend you get the remy 700 gun you want and slap it into a McMillan A5. Good Luck

Jet </div></div>

thank u very much. thats the info i was hoping to get! well ill be on the way to get the r5!