• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Quick Leupy Question. + are they really shit?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    How can I tell if my Leupold scope is pre or post 2004? Does the S/N tell this? It came on the rifle I bought in late 2005, but I'm not sure when the builder bought all these scopes.

Thanks!

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">SEE MY RED COLORED POST NEAR BOTTOM FOR ANOTHER LEUPOLD ISSUE/QUESTION.</span>

Re: Quick Leupy Question.

Number prefixes/suffixes for Leupys:

Prefix
    E - 1974
    F - 1975
    G - 1976
    H - 1977
    J - 1978
    K - 1979
    L - 1980
    M - 1981
    N - 1982
    P - 1983
    R - 1984
    S - 1985
    T - 1986
    U - 1987
    V - 1988
    W -1989
    X - 1990
    Y - 1991
    Z - 1992
    Suffixes
    1993 - A
    1994 - B
    1995 - C
    1996 - D
    1997 - E
    1998 - F
    1999 - G
    2000 - H
    2001 - J
    2002 - K
    2003 - L
    2004 - M
    2005 - N
    2006 - P
    2007 - R
    2008 - S

So, what year is it??? Now you got me curious, and Ive never even seen the scope.
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, what year is it??? Now you got me curious, and Ive never even seen the scope.
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

Don't know yet! Have to wait until I get home this evening.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Topic drift...just a bit. From reading these forums, I know now that most, if not all here do NOT like Leupold scopes. I grew up thinking they were the ultimate in scopes, besides the Unertl I used in the Corps. I got my current Leupy in '05, well before I found this site, and read all the trash talking. Hell, I never even knew there were other tacti-cool scopes out there besides Unertl and Leupold. (<span style="font-style: italic">well, I was kinda aware of Nikon & Zeiss</span>)

So, I haven't had any trouble yet with my scope, nor have I dealt with Leupold's CS. What should I be on the lookout for with my scope (Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3) in regards to performance, flaws etc. versus the scopes everyone here likes such as USO and NightForce?

Thanks for any help!
    eek.gif
    You guys have me somewhat worried I have a $1,200 POS on my rifle.</span>

Used to have one and it worked just fine for me. Don't sweat it. Use it and have fun.

On a side note, you know my team mate Tony Gimellie? Believe he was in STA 3/6 around those dates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a side note, you know my team mate Tony Gimellie? Believe he was in STA 3/6 around those dates. </div></div>

No, he wasn't in the plt. when I was. I left in August '96. I can ask some of my buddies who stayed later than that if he came after a bunch of us left.

No biggy. Just knew he was a sniper with 3/6 and thought he was there then.

I have three Leupold Mark 4's, all three of them have given me flawless performance. I have an 8-25 on my 300wsm, and have shot several thousand rounds through it at ranges up to 1375yds, and even though it weighs 17 lbs I've carried it through the mountains on my back and on atv's for countless miles. Never once has it been off. I have a 6.5-20 on my .308, I think that this scope has played a huge part in this rifle becoming my favorite. It also has had 1000+ rounds through it (in a short year) at ranges up to 1300 yds, and it gives me all the confidence I need to make first round hits. My third MK4 is a 4-14 on my RRA 15, it has proven to be a very deadly combination, and with 75gr A-max's I've been able to keep between one and two moa at 1000yds, but it always seems to be under a minute of prairie dog, it never seems to miss. I would love to have the best scopes (USO,NF,ect.) but my budget wont allow.

My experience with them has been great both from performance and customer service. I have several 6.5 to 20 LR models, that have had alot rounds shot under them in benchrest/prairie dog rig, as well my hunting scopes have been flawless, and my Mark 4. I purchased a returned 6.5 to 20 long range VX 3 from Cabela's bargin cave. I could tell the windage turret wasn't right. Sent it in with a note and they replaced all the internals and had the scope back to me less than 2 weeks. S&B glass is nice, nightforce as well, but for me the Leupy's are tough to beat for the money and service.

I have had a half dozen. shot a good bit, and zero issues.

I think they are a great buy. There is no other scope I would personally buy at the 1K price point. JMO

Thanks guys, good to hear it! I hope mine lasts. It should be plenty scope for what I want to use it for.

Also, in regard to the S/N, it is: 180***N, so it's a 2005 model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the deal with the pre and post 2004? Did they change something? </div></div>

My reason for wanting to know is that I'm buying an ARD (Anti-Reflection Device) for their scopes. So, I'm guessing that they did change something. I think the pre-'04's are snap in, while the post-'04's are a screw in, but I'm not 100% sure. I just needed to know which one to get. Different part numbers for the ARD depending on what year scope you have.

While in the service, our M24's and M3A's work like a charm.... hell.... I loved that set up so much, that I now own a M24 SWS.

Your leupy is a good scope for the money... but feel free to spend more on a USO ect... I prefer to put more rounds down range (spend the cash on rounds/reloading equipment).

Kinnamon

thanks for your service COfox.

I have a MK 4 and a 4.5-14X40LR. both have performed with no problems. I just ordered a 6.5-20X40 LR because I traded my last one for a custom build with a gunsmith in NC. He likes leupys enough to trade a new Benchmark blank and his labor for one.

I just sent in my Mark 4 8.5x25 ER/T because it would not longer shoot a group.
    Called Leupold, they were extremely apologetic and asked me to send it in.
    I expressed concern over the fact that they would be closing down the service center & custom shop for a few weeks due to upgrades and explained that I had a competition at the end of the month.
    The woman that I spoke to once again apologized and said that she would make a note.
    At this point in time I wasn't feeling all that confident, but I was still optimistic.

Checked the tracking number on my package and saw that it reached them on a Tuesday.
    That Thursday, I decided I'd call to make sure that they didn't have any questions.
    Spoke with a gentlemen on the phone and after confirming my personal information proceeded to tell me what was done to my optic.
    They replaced an erector spring, completely disassembled & cleaned, centered the erector, re-calibrated, purged, and then retested.
    After that, he seemed to be genuinely apologetic and stated that this type of failure was quite rare for their Mark 4 product line.
    He then proceeded to tell me that my optic was sitting on the side porch of my house.
    I was taken back a bit and then thanked the gentlemen.

After rushing home, I tore into the UPS box and found that there was a piece of masking tape with my name on the scope box.
    Along with the masking tape was a red dot and and another small note that said RUSH! on it.

Lets take a second look shall we:
    -Leupold had a customer that had a presumed defective product that was about a year and a half old.
    -They received the product back for warranty service on a Tuesday afternoon.
    -Diagnosed, repaired, calibrated, and tested the optic.
    -Then sent it UPS RED from Oregon to North Carolina on Wednesday.
    -I had the optic remounted and ready to go Wednesday night.

I do realize that this is probably not the average turnaround time on service.
    It is important to realize though that I did not become excited, agitated, yell at or anything else when I initially spoke with Leupold.
    I simply explained the situation and inquired about how they could help.

In my book, this is the definition of customer service.
    Considering the price of shipping on their part and taking into account that I purchased the optic through the MIL/GOV program.
    It is quite possible that Leupold may have lost money having me as a customer.
    As a testament to how pleased I was with this experience, I ordered a Mark 4 12x40 TMR spotting scope the following week.

Like most other folks, I had heard customer service stories where a friend of a friend had Leupold replace / repair their scope after dropping it off a cliff or some other tall tale.
    I was not sure what the actual case would be considering the economy and rumors of downsizing @ Leupold.
    As important as it is to get the word out when a company does you wrong,
    I feel it is equally important to let others know when you are treated right.
    This is why I have taken the time to make these comments.

Didn't mean to Hijack the thread, just saw the OPs questions and started me thinking about my experience.
    Hope this information is of use to you.

Cheers!

Never had a problem with any of my Leupolds not tracking or loosing zero. I have roughly 10 in the safe on rifles. We run them from 100-1000yds @ the range. I have used their CS twice though. One broken Leupy I bought off Egay and one of my power rings on my 4.5-14 took a shit. Felt like a O-ring broke. Scope was made in 1996. Scope still functioned, but didn't feel right. Had both scopes back in my hands in less then two weeks from the time I shipped them out.

I've owned one USO. Was fucked up when I received it, sent it in, took just over a month to get back. Still was fucked up when I got it (hair fibers/dirt inside the scope.) The other USO's I've played with at the range haven't impressed me. Glass is good one them, they're built like a tank, but how the heck do you ppl turn the side focus on them? They feel like a Leupold VXII power ring in 10 degree weather.

There hasn't been a scope built that hasn't failed. Hell, if your Leupy dies, you'll have it back in two weeks or less. Don't read into all the BS on the net. IMO, I think Leupy's are the best bang for the buck (Used Leupy's), YMMV...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this thread for your answers on Leupold's quality:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1143771&page=1

If you look at who some of the people posting in that thread are, I would hardly call it "internet BS". </div></div>
    I don't think anyone will disagree w/ Mr. Cross! I can't agree w/ him more as far as the BS w/ outsourcing. It sucks but at least they still make the Mark4's here! And I don't believe he really stated anything about their quality one way or another. He is just rightfully teedoff being an American!

what year was it? I dont know why Im retardedly curious.

I have two Leupolds. I have a 3-9X MRT on an AR and a 3.5-10X on an M1A. I've read a lot of the criticism and it got me worried too. I haven't had any problems with either one yet. I've had them for a few years. I think they are a little on the expensive side to buy new though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Leupold customer service, they'll know. </div></div>

I have a leupold too.

BOHICA

I've used them for many years and they are solid scopes. The M24's, SPR's and SR25's all took a lot of abuse and I never had a problem. Kept good zero, never had any tracking problems. I know there is better but the glass worked well for anything I needed done.

I've had great experience with Leupold.

Their scopes don't meet my current needs, but I would not be mad if I got handed a gun with one.

Yeah, S&B, Premier, and USO are subjectively better...but they're twice as much.

For the 1st question yes the newer ones are threaded for the ard/sunshade. I don't think that Leupold's are total shit, I just wish I had've bought a Nightforce instead. I was happy with my Leupold till I got to shoot someones rifle that had a Nightforce on it. I've got the Mk4 3.5-10x40 with The TMR and M2knobs Illuminated of coarse. It's a good scope but the glass on the Nightforce puts this one to shame. I've looked at alot more in the stores now and all of them seem to be that same high quality clarity that is amazing. I could've had a much better scope for 400 dollars more.

I have 2 Leupys a fixed 6x 0n a remington 700 .270 and a VarixIII 3by9 by 50 mm on a Remington .260. Neither has ever let me down. Killed deer out to 400 meters. If i miss ITS MY FAULT!
    Honestly my favorite scope is my 60 yr old PU 40. This scope thing has gotten outta hand just like golf. everybody wants to buy a game. Bottom line-if YOUR fundamentals are not right before you squeeze the trigger it dont matter what glass u got-UR gonna miss. I wish people would focus more on basics than buying the latest miracle scope that costs more than the rifle. I was in Bass Pro this week and an ACTIVE DUTY grunt actually asked for a scope that would adjust for wind and mirage. I do not who laughed more, me or the old gunny behind the counter. At first we thought it was a joke the we realized he was serious.LMAO-wish i knew who his first shirt ws....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what year was it? I dont know why Im retardedly curious.</div></div>

Answered this a few posts up, but it's a 2005. Thanks for the S/N info!