• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick n' Dirty LMT MRP Piston Overview

jonthomps

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2009
    Kansas City
    I recently bought a 5.56 LMT piston gun. There isn't a lot of info out there for this specific stick so I thought I put a little out there. I have owned a couple of LMT's and they have all worked great, so when I decided to buy a piston set up it came down to LWRC, PWS, SCAR and LMT. In the end it was between the LMT and PWS but a local GS gave me a heck of a deal on the LMT and I had a history with them so the decision was over. (It actually took much longer than that - you know, "research.") I've put about 500 rounds through it thus far so she's still basically a virgin but this thing really is impressive. Here's why:

No carrier tilt. Not even any signs of it. That's a good thing as LMT stakes their buffer tubes to their lowers.

Recoil impulse. If I were blind folded, I might, MIGHT be able to tell the difference between my piston and a DI MRP. I didn't feel there was a nickels worth of difference. I know the SCAR and 416 have short, very different impulses and it takes a little getting used to, not so with the LMT piston.

Speaking of the piston . . . I love the piston system! One turn and whole assembly comes out the front. Super easy and tool-less. (Yes, there's a setting for suppressed.)

Fit and finish: It's an LMT. As with any high-end AR it's top notch. I don't know if it was just mine or what, but there is zero play between the two halves. I'm sure it will loosen with time.

Accuracy: This is kinda silly to do an accuracy review on this type of weapon system but, this is being posted on the Hide sooo - it's everything it should be. Zeroing my EOTech @ 100 with the three power magnifier I could easily hold 1 1/2 - 2 MOA with LC SS109.

Faults: Not really a fault per se but the standard trigger needs replaced (in my opinion). I changed mine out with a Geissele before even taking her out. Oh, if you've been living on another planet and don't know, Geissele triggers are the bomb. Just find the right model for your intended use. Buy once, cry once, you won't regret it.

Overall, this is a great system and I would highly recommend it. And of course, what good is a thread without pics!?

LMT MRP Piston

Re: Quick n' Dirty LMT MRP Piston Overview

Nice write up. I wouldn't mind owning an LMT MRP CQB myself.