• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Quick Q: how much cant on my scope mount?

wlwaldock

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Columbus
I have a AI Aw .308 with the standard picatinny rail. I currently have Nightforce 30mm rings I believe they are medium height. My Scope is a USO sn3 T-pal 5-25x with 58mm objective 30MM tube 1/4iphy(moa) EREK.

I currently have my scope zeroed at 100 yards and have 22 MOA of elevation left, and 1 full turn + 7MOA below my 0 (sorry don't know the proper term). I believe each turn on the erek knob is 23 MOA so this would lead me to believe that to use all my elevation I should get a 30 MOA down base.

My goal is to be able to use this rifle out to 1000 yards. JBM calc says I need roughly 39.15 for hornrady match to reach that far, and I will be using handloads so I may need a few moa less.

So I may only need a 20MOA down base which is much easier to get and more widely available and I will not have my erector totally bottomed out.

With my lack of experience I hoped that someone who knew more could chime in and point me in the right direction. These bases range from 250-350+ so I would like to buy right and buy once.

Note: I am trying to double check here. I have read a bunch of threads about this with respect to other equipment but hoped someone could confirm this for me with my specific rig. I did use the search function, I use it every day...

Thanks for your time and consideration

Re: Quick Q: how much can't on my scope mount?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean cant right? Look HERE it was only a couple of post down. </div></div>

Iphone autotext sorry

I actually already saw your post in that thread and did additional research I just wanted to confirm with someone smarter than myself before spending the 250 + shipping for a base.

I was just giving you shit about the ' I use an iPhone too. Look at the links I gave the other guy it'll explain all about it and then you can make sure your getting the right one with some math. However, a 20MOA base should let that scope get you past the 1k mark. If I were you I'd triple check the turrets and if your math was right get a 25MOA base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just giving you shit about the ' I use an iPhone too. Look at the links I gave the other guy it'll explain all about it and then you can make sure your getting the right one with some math. However, a 20MOA base should let that scope get you past the 1k mark. If I were you I'd triple check the turrets and if your math was right get a 25MOA base </div></div>

LOL I have never seen a 25 MOA base and figured they only made 20 and 30s so I learned something already.

FWIW USO says they design the scope for a 30 MOA down base and I currently have a flat picatinny rail so hypothetically 30 would work but I don't want to bottom out my erector all the time. That's why I was leaning towards 20 MOA down. I'm sure a 25 would work. Do you know where I might be able to find one that works with my pic rail?

Try EGW I think they might have one. if not a 20MOA would give you 42MOA which is enough to rech the 1k mark.