• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick question about loading 223 on a progressive.

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I have, until now, loaded all my rifle loads on single stage presses. I recently set up my Hornady ammo plant and have loaded 2000 rounds of 45ACP without much problem. I wanted to start loading 223 on it and have not been able to figure out one part. Does hornady(or someone else) make a set of dies that does not require lube for the cases? I know putting lubed cases in the case feed whould make a huge mess. Thanks for your help.

Atown

Re: Quick question about loading 223 on a progressive.

To my knowledge no.

With that being said, I prep all my brass in stages. Once prepped, I'll run through my LnL AP. Prime, charge (WC844 for all my plinking rounds), and tip on the progressive.

I do all precision rounds on a SS.

I do precision .223 on a Dillion and they state that you MUST use resizing lube even if you use their carbide 223 resizing dies. Pre prepping the brass makes things easier on a progressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do precision .223 on a Dillion and they state that you MUST use resizing lube even if you use their carbide 223 resizing dies. <span style="color: #CC0000"> Pre prepping the brass makes things easier on a progressive. </span>

</div></div>

Your powder drops will be more consistent with pre-prepped brass as well. Pulling the case-mouth past the expander ball can bugger your powder drop consistency. If a guy was using bushing dies and no expander ball you could run the whole works on a progressive with ease.

As said, batch process the cases. I typically take the case feeder off my press and just drop the lubed cases in by hand as I operate the press. Drop tube on a 650 holds about 10 .223's. You could run a lube die in stage 1 and a sizer in another stage. I haven't tried that, but I've heard of some folks going that route.

Congrats on the new ammo plant; those look really nice!

I would consider a case feeder as an excellent tool for bulk ammunition production. I would also have serious reservations about attempting to resize tapered/bottlenecked cases without amply lube. If this results in a mess, then I'd simply consider that part of the overhead associated with using the automated case feeder for such applications.

For progressive precision loading with tapered/bottlenecked cases, I do the resizing and decapping/recapping segment separately in advance of the rest of the reloading cycle. I resume the process with case charging and check-weigh each charge before proceeding with the seating step. This may appear complex, but all that's really involved is some practice. For precision loading, I'd not be using the automated case feeder if I had one.

Greg

I load .223 and .308 on my 550B and lubricating the cases is necessary. I use either One Shot or DCL and have not experienced any sticking cases. I invested in Whidden tool heads for those two calibers and they have reduced runout somewhat but still an issue since I don't lubricate the inside of the necks when resizing on the progressive. The runout is caused by the expander plug. I have checked runout runout on unsized and FL sized brass with and without the expander. Without the expander, the cases exhibit little or no runout but with the expander I am experiencing runout in the range of .004 to .007 and varies by brass manufacturer. Still in search of a way to correct this. Lubricating the inside of the necks on a progressive is problematic for a number of reasons.

It is important to check charge weights on a progressive if using the powder throw. I throw 10-20 throws before I start loading to make sure it is throwing proper weights. You will still get some variation in charge weights and will vary depending on the type of powder. Since I only reload on my progressive for gas guns the small variance isn't all that critical. All my precision loading is performed on a single stage press.

I've found that running .223 brass through my 650 Dillon press works best. First pass is to deprime, size, and trim using a Lee universal depriming die in Sta #1 and a Rapid Trim on Sta #4

All cases get sprayed with a little Dillon Case Lube while in a gallon sized zip lock bag. Tumble around then pour out to let dry in a cooking pan (don't tell my wife I have it). I then load them into the case feeder and the dried lube isn't an issue.

The cases are then inspected for primer pockets that need crimping or any neck splits. Even the splits that are hard to spot because they're just small cracks show up real good after being trimmed.

When ready to load, I change tool heads and Station #1 has a Lee Collet Die that I've modified the point of the depriming pin for easier entrance into the sized case.

Since I usually have between 6k - 8k cases prepped and boxed, ready to reload, this system works best for me. When I get back from shooting, all fired brass goes into a 5 gal pail, mine and anything else I might pick up, to wait for another "Prep Day".