• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Quick question for .260 shooters...1000+ yds

I use a 26" in my 260 and it works great out to 1000. 1-8 is a good twist and gives a Stability Factor of 1.7

Barrel length is dependent on what the use of the rifle is; pure target rifle or field gun. If it is an F-class rifle I'd go longer ~30" otherwise 26" is good.

If you are shooting long range find the highest BC you can get your hands on; Berger 140 Hybrids. The 130 VLDs give sub-MOA @1k for me.

26" barrel will get you to 1K and beyond just fine.

2" more barrel will be 35-40 fps. You'll gain more by going to higher BC bullet then adding 2" of barrel.

How much freebore in chamber?

sorry I dont know that answer. I ordered the barrel from Bartlein #13 contour 6.5mm 5R 1-8 twist fluted.. I still have a lot to learn..Im still throwing 175s at 1000...

I have a 26 inch 8.5 bartlein 5r and am shooting 140 berger vld bullets at 2840 fps. It can make good, consistent hits to 1400 yards but after that it seems to get erratic.

8.5 twist is marginal for the 140 Berger Hybrids at low elevations. To answer your question, 26" will get you as far as the caliber is capable.

I've a AI AX and a custom T3 both with 8.5 twist 26" long barrels. Both excellent long range performers. The T3 really likes the old 140 SMK's which have a crap BC compared to the other 140 class bullets - I've shot it out to 1300 no problems.

I shoot Berger 140 gr Hybrids out of my 26" DTA SRS to 1400 yards with no trouble so you should be fine to 1K