• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Quick Release Rings and Swapping Guns

shakin_bakin

LT
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2017
I was wondering if I mounted a scope, say a Viper PST on my RPR using a set of Vortex Precision QR rings, and sight it in. Would I be able to take it off and put it back on and it still stay zeroed? I dont understand the advantage of the QR rings besides ease of mounting.

Thanks for your help and input!

Most likely it will be off a bit but not all that far off unless you somehow messed up installing somehow. But if you mounted it pressing forward on the ring parts while installing and then torquing the caps evenly then it should be pretty close on reinstallation. Not more than an inch at 100

check out 8541 Tactical's return to zero test of the ADM Recon scope mounts. The general consensus is that they will return to zero, but the first shot may be a hair off as the mount gets settled into the forward part of the rail.

I own the ADM-Recon and have found similar results. The mount and scope is shared between my 260/308 switch barrel, and 2 22's and I have recorded the offset and scope settings for each gun. I haven't had any problems with swapping guns, dialling the applicable elevation/windage correction for that particular rifle, and being zeroed within two shots. As his test shows, my first round is within .5moa of the original zero, and the second round is on zero.

I can't speak for other brands or QD rings vs a complete mount. My thought would be a mount would be more consistent than 2 independent rings.

I bet you'd be pretty close, given you have the proper tools and torque them to the same spec every time.... I know a cheap Wheeler Fat Wrench isn't the culmination of accuracy when it comes to torque wrenches, but it'll probably be close enough for that kind of thing.

I know a cheap Wheeler Fat Wrench isn't the culmination of accuracy when it comes to torque wrenches, but it'll probably be close enough for that kind of thing.

It certainly is, I ran a test shooting groups and taking the optics off and back on several times each way when I first got my thermal because I didnt want to sacrifice day shooting for night shooting and my arcm10 rings, with a wheeler, went back perfect. The thermal was only an inch or two off and thats aiming a television monitor but I blame the shittiest mount ever that it came with as the culprit of the inconsistency there. But it was still good enought that I was confident in swapping ti to go hunt at night. During the day swaps I never bothered rezeroing because it wasnt worth checking.

I’m currently waiting on the delivery of the Vortex precision QD one piece mount. Will be using a Vortex Viper HS-LR & mounting it onto my RPR. The scope will mainly remain on the Ruger but thinking of swapping it onto a Savage 12FV sometimes.

This is actually very similar to what I was going to be doing. I just ordered a Viper GEN II; I would primarily be using it on my RPR, but I was thinking about swapping it over to my Daniel Defense AR and running a couple precision rifle series rounds in the gas series for fun.