• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick Remington 700 Sps Tactical .308 review

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
This is just a preview I plan on hopefully getting a better more in depth review of the Remington 700 SPS Tac. after I go back out next Saturday for some more testing and field time.

get-attachmentaspx.jpg
sdvsdvsdvsdv.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle:</span> Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings & Base:</span> Badger Ordnance M40A3 rings w/ Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail
<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope:</span> Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15x 40mm
<span style="font-weight: bold">Bi-Pod:</span> Harris S-series Spring loaded Notched legs
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammunition:</span> Winchester 7.62x51 147g FMJ
<span style="font-weight: bold">Conditions:</span> Winds ranging from 4 to 12 MPH for most of the day. Average temp around 80 to 90F.

DSCN0759.jpg

This is a quick 5 shot group out to about 210 yrds +/-. Its about .75 MOA at 200 yards, The shot way off to the right is not from me a buddy took a shot at the target right before we headed home.

DSCN0771.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pros.</span>

I got a decent 5 shot group out to about 200-210 yards I milled it out to 207 (+/-) But we played around with 50 to 300 yard shots. Winds kept playing with me but I got a fairly decent group out of it. The rifle preformed really well I was actually surprised due to how well it shot with the cheap ammunition and conditions it was up against and first time on the range with this rifle. Comes with a Pillar bedded Hoage stock over the cheaper SPS stocks. It is a really first time user friendly rifle didn't take long to get comfortable with. I think the rifle it self could preform much better in better hands but hopefully I'll get some better conditions next weekend. Overall very impressed with how it preformed for being only a $1,200 stock build. I've seen a lot of word about how Remington has gone down hill over the past years with some of their rifles but this rifle is not one of the defects.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Cons.</span>

The one problem I had was the stock and the cheek weld. The stocks made to look down the iron sites which makes it really tricky to keep on the scope and keep steady on the target. There isn't much I didn't like about the rifle but the over all weight from the scope bi-pod mostly was a little hard to get a good mark on the target on prone and stand up position especially without a sling on it yet. Has a little bit of a kick for a new shooting but isn't anything you cant get use to. But they do also offer it in .223 but I personally think you should get the 308 model and get the full potential out of the rifle for what its worth.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Comparison</span>

We matched it up against a Howa 1500 308 with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 LR/T M3 Mil Dot and a Custom Built Ar-15 in .223 with a Red Dot site (Forgot the makers of the Upper and Lower and what red dot was used.) He had a Leupold Mark 4 LT/R scope for it but lost the allen key to be able mount it. But they weren't even close. The 700 blew them both away on the multiple targets and shot placement parts of out match ups. I think the AR might have done a little better having the scope put on but sometimes thing just don't go as planned. But that would have been a good match up. The Howa did alright but the Remington didn't take long to show what it could do and top the competition.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overview</span>

Overall I have to say if your on a small budget and looking for good bang for your buck this is the rifle and set up for you. It's a solid but fairly decent price set up for beginners and intermediate alike. Great platform to start off a full custom build. The stock is eh I have to say its not the best but better than most out there on some stock rifles. But its a great started rifle and can take you way beyond most of the rifles out today. For those looking to get a decent rifle on a budget this is the rifle for you.

Sorry for the quality and size of the pictures they were taken from my I_Phone and they didn't come out so well. Hopefully ill Post some more photos and video of it this weekend and from next.

Re: Quick Remington 700 Sps Tactical .308 review

The only beef i have with remington 700's is the stupid bolt knob... i hate mine

It feels solid, but i know its not the most solid out there... and the handle is simply too short.

If remington could put tactical bolt handles on rifles such as the sps, 700p etc... I would be a happy camper

Yea im fine with my bolt knob. Dont really have any need for a bigger one. But I know a lot of people hate it. I dont see a need for one for me yet. Then again I live in sothern california and I dont need gloves or anything to get in the way.

Hi CK,

You're experiencing about what I have with mine. I have one of each in .308 and .223 topped with 3200 Elites (10x fixed to keep things simple). The .223 is a true .5 moa rifle, cheaper to practice with and of course more pleasant on the bench. But the .308 is the one for the field. Easy 300+ yards on deer and a snap to handle with the 20" barrel. I'm not changing a thing.

Good luck, Sherlok

Yea they are really solid rifles for the price range you can get them at. Only thing I will probably change is mount an adjustable cheek rest on the butt of the stock. When i got out to the 350 yards+ it was hard to keep the scope view point on while getting a good steady hold on the target with out losing the picture due to the turkey neckin' I have to do to see through the scope. Other than that I don't see anything needing to be changed for a long while.

I don't hunt but I just shoot at paper mostly but yea these are easy Sub MOA guns out of the factory. And the scopes are another great deal of quality out of the low price. I think this is the ultimate budget set up if there was one. I really don't see any way to beat this such solid of a set up for the price I shelled out for this complete set up.

GL with your shooting as well. Love to see other happy 700 owners.

CK_32 do you reload?

I find that my nightforce sits close to the bolt handle when open and if im in a hurry, slapping your knuckles into the sides of a metal NXS magnification ring hurts!!!

Simple laws apply to this scenario and a longer bolt handle offers both greater leverage and frees my hand away from the scope... I would more prefer the greater leverage however for fast reloads.

good quick write up man,

i have the sps tac in 308 aswell as a howa varminter in 223, and id have to say at the moment the howa has the edge in accuracy, just into the .25's, but thats mostly because i lucked out on a good reloading recipe, hahhaha, but the rem is jUUUUUUUst behind, its in the .46's, nothing to sniff at....

i love em both equally, hahahaha

keep it up mate and get into reloading, with a simple lee breechlock kit you will be reloading in no time quality loads, at less than half the price of factory ammo.

keep us posted, and if you need some good loads for the 308 if you get into reloading, shoot me a PM

jimi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CK_32 do you reload?

I find that my nightforce sits close to the bolt handle when open and if im in a hurry, slapping your knuckles into the sides of a metal NXS magnification ring hurts!!!

Simple laws apply to this scenario and a longer bolt handle offers both greater leverage and frees my hand away from the scope... I would more prefer the greater leverage however for fast reloads. </div></div>

No but I plan on starting in a few weeks after I get through all the rounds of Winchester 147g boxes I bought so I can use the brass. But no my bushnell has great clearance from the bolt in the full cycling action from my Badger rings I bought. I tripple checked all of that so I wouldnt have any issues from the front objective and the eye piece lense clearance. Its probably nothing to do with your scope but you might need higher rings. NF are great scopes.

Also I was tought to hold your hand out like your going to give someone a hand shake and lift the bolt with an open hand with your thumb up and lift your bolt up and out with your index finger. then curl your finger pulling the bolt back. Uncurl your index finger streight again and with your thumb still in the up position pushing the bolt knob back and pulling down with your thumb to lock in the bolt. Helps with faster cycling and helping clear your scope with no finger clippage. Try that that might help some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good quick write up man,

i have the sps tac in 308 aswell as a howa varminter in 223, and id have to say at the moment the howa has the edge in accuracy, just into the .25's, but thats mostly because i lucked out on a good reloading recipe, hahhaha, but the rem is jUUUUUUUst behind, its in the .46's, nothing to sniff at....

i love em both equally, hahahaha

keep it up mate and get into reloading, with a simple lee breechlock kit you will be reloading in no time quality loads, at less than half the price of factory ammo.

keep us posted, and if you need some good loads for the 308 if you get into reloading, shoot me a PM

jimi </div></div>

Yea I just bought the cheap ammo for the brass. I stocked up on a bunch of it cause it was one sale and im just looking to get some shooting time and shots down the barrel and stock up on the brass so i can start working out some good hand loads. Cuase if its doing this well on cheap stuff I cant wait to see how it does with a legit hand load. Im going to look at the 168g loads cause Iv heard thats what most SPS Tacticals love to eat up. So thats probably going to be my starting point.

But yea there wasnt anything bad about the howa but the barrel on it was a skimpy slim model. Thats what I think I didnt like about it the most and the remington just felt a bit more solid for me. But then again howas are a good $200-$300 cheaper than the 700 is so you cant say they are in the exact same ball park but are close. You get your bang for the buck in both of these rifles. Thats for sure.

Thats actually a great point about the cheek weld. I always find it a bit low myself.

Although truth be told, I am of the round-head variety of human, myself which just makes it worse.

The usual route (closed cell foam and 100mph duct tape) or a stock that offers an integral adjustable unit are good options.

Although, as many here will tell you, dont bother with adjustable doo-dads if your life or the lives of others will depend on your ability to use the rifle effectively. Going with the tape and foam may not be pretty but it keeps the parts-that-can-break count down.

I bought a sps varmint about a month ago. I never shot it bone stock. I was using one of those stock pouches that have a elevated cheek piece, so I never had a problem with the cheek weld. I only shot about 10 shots through the original stock before I put a hs precision on it.

Odball:

Iv actually heard some good things about the karsten cheek piece and for $60 you cant complain if it doesn't work. I wanted a McMil A-5 adjustable stock but i figured why not try the $60 piece and see what it does rather than blow a good $600 on a stock before taking a look at it. It just seems like a fun little cheap project to try.

Cpt. :

I actually was looking at those for a little while and love the pouch and +5 or +8 round holders and pocket they offer. But Iv seen a few videos and heard a few things on the Karsten cheek piece and i think it looks like a fun little project to try out. Iv actually heard the better option was the adjustable cheek piece over the pouches and some people even said they went with both, and are happy with either one.

CK if you can, try the Lapua 155 scenars.

Or even the Hornady 178gr A-Max

Both projectiles are resonably priced and give the 168's a run for their money.

Yea I was actually looking at the Lapua's a little while back. I was just told the 168g's fit best from some other reloaders with SPS Tac's.

You Reload?

if you want a good pill for 1000 yrds, get around some sierra 155gr match king palma's a fantastic all rounder, made here in aus!!!

they are 'THE SH!T' in my sps tac.

That a factory load or for hand load?^^

Quick little update:
Just installed a Karsten Adjustable Cheek Piece.
29269_122950157715463_100000014371192_336481_5714594_n.jpg

29269_122950161048796_100000014371192_336482_7627980_n.jpg

More to come.

nice are you still getting a upgraded stock for that ?

As of right now I don't think so. I this I might get the action trued and maybe a match grade barrel. Because I really want a McM A-5 Adjustable stock but with how its preforming right now at 600+ yard with this crap ammo I'm going to try hand loads and see what she does. And if it does the job why fix whats not broken.

I'v actually been really impressed with this stock performance. Everyone says these rifles max out at around 500 yards but when I was going for a standard 15"x 4.5" bowling pin at 675 yards we were just left and right low due to full value winds at 6-8 mph with cheap $20 box ammo. The main problem was floating your head to fin the cross hairs due to the crap cheek weld. So I want to see what this little upgrade does for us and getting a solid hand load for it.

Winds: 4-10mph full value
Yards: 675 +/-
Temp: 80-85F
Target Size: 15" x 4.5"

photo54part2.jpg

xcvsdfsfdvsv.jpg

fdvfvsvsd.jpg

what are you useing for scope and what are the grains for the ammo ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are you useing for scope and what are the grains for the ammo ?</div></div>

he is using machinegun boolit ammo and a bushnell scope

hehehe i just saw your first post and saw what you have for scope. but were you using the same ammo though? if yes you might want to try some match ammo at that distance on paper .........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are you useing for scope and what are the grains for the ammo ? </div></div>

I'm using a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15x 40mm. And the ammo is posted above but its Winchester $20 147g FMJ factory ammo. I'm just using that for the brass and to get some ammo down range before I start making hand loads for it. I'm also seeing how it does with the crap ammo so I can see how much the hand loads have improved my groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like the Karsten?
Was it easy to install? </div></div>

I love it. It makes a world of difference in the cheek weld I no longer have to find my target then take 20 min to get the scope to line up and then take the shot and lose picture of the cross hairs after each shot. At it saves the neck after 50 rounds it kinda gets sore head hovering the whole time.

It was simple when you read the instructions provided or on Sniper Central but I did mess up. One of the holes on one side was a little higher than the other. So the screw is SLIGHTLY at an angle but once you put the thumb wheels on and get it set in to your adjustment you don't even notice. Its by far the best thing you can do for the stock with out going out and getting a whole new stock. It made the stock an ok stock to a great stock in my opinion with out blowing a good $600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hehehe i just saw your first post and saw what you have for scope. but were you using the same ammo though? if yes you might want to try some match ammo at that distance on paper ......... </div></div>

Yea I bought 200 rounds of the $20 box factory ammo and am just trying to spend it and see what I can do with it. I have no problems with the scope at all. I LOVE IT!
smile.gif
but yea I plan on hand loading after I get through these 200 rounds.

Deleted.

That factory stock is a turd. Put the rifle in a descent stock, bed it properly, and your groups will probably shrink in half.

Nice.

Its not that bad actually. Im happy with it for only being a $70 stock. If I had the money I'd probably buy a McM A-5 stock.

A few more pictures.

EDIT: Old pictures. Deleted.

Quick photo shoot.

28179_1252758531967_1619640911_30574390_5405629_n.jpg

28179_1252758571968_1619640911_30574391_2972544_n.jpg

28434_1257816178405_1619640911_30583185_3791117_n.jpg

4586395638_261a508d8e.jpg

4585770837_d8ec44e3d4.jpg

nice pics

do you no how much one of these things weigh I had a look on the rem site but cant
see a weight any where ?

Drop in an aftermarket trigger and you will start loving that stick even more.

Thanks for the review. I picked up one of these rifles about 6 weeks ago for $509 after rebate. No way I could refuse that price. Sent the barreled action, unfired, to Adco for threading and profiling for Ops Inc 3rd Model. Got a Nitrex 3x15x50 coming in FedEx today. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get the setup put together and out to the range and send the first bullet thru it. Mostly gonna deer hunt with it and try a little fun shooting out to about 500yds. I'll be loading Lapua brass, CCI LR primers and 168/175 SMKs over about 44.7gr of Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice pics

do you no how much one of these things weigh I had a look on the rem site but cant
see a weight any where ? </div></div>

Thank you. And they weigh just around 7 lbs.. They are a decent weight but a rifle but once you throw on the bi pod and scope then it gets to be a pain to hump around. I think my load out sits just around 14 lbs total. Check out snipoer centrals review they went into some good detail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drop in an aftermarket trigger and you will start loving that stick even more. </div></div>

Yea Im planning on a timney or jewel after I get a better stock on it. Which wont be for a little while due to me having a few new products and the holidays rolling around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WileyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the review. I picked up one of these rifles about 6 weeks ago for $509 after rebate. No way I could refuse that price. Sent the barreled action, unfired, to Adco for threading and profiling for Ops Inc 3rd Model. Got a Nitrex 3x15x50 coming in FedEx today. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get the setup put together and out to the range and send the first bullet thru it. Mostly gonna deer hunt with it and try a little fun shooting out to about 500yds. I'll be loading Lapua brass, CCI LR primers and 168/175 SMKs over about 44.7gr of Varget. </div></div>

Np.. Just figured Id throw up a little review to help the guys around here in the same spot I was just looking for a good field review. And you should have some good luck with those. Try AMAX 168ers those are pretty good out of 700's.. If you wanna go for 1000 yarders try the 175's those shoot real nice from 700T's.

Also I would strongly suggest finding a load for the exact rifle.. No 2 rifles are the same and just throwing a pre built load or a load from another rifle could be dangerous and really get some hurt.. I stronly suggest working up a spacific load for that that spacific rifle.

Nice review. I picked up a used one with a 10x SS and it shoots great. Mine likes nosler 168 hpbt's with 43.0 grains of RL15 - thats more than 2 grains under max so I'll be trying a few other loads.
I'm not a huge fan of the internal mag, so I've ordered up a B&C varmint/tactical stock with Wyatt's bottom metal thats suppose to drop right in. It'd be nice if the stiffer stock helps a bit with the accuracy.
Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nelly250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review. I picked up a used one with a 10x SS and it shoots great. Mine likes nosler 168 hpbt's with 43.0 grains of RL15 - thats more than 2 grains under max so I'll be trying a few other loads.
I'm not a huge fan of the internal mag, so I've ordered up a B&C varmint/tactical stock with Wyatt's bottom metal thats suppose to drop right in. It'd be nice if the stiffer stock helps a bit with the accuracy.
Cheers.
</div></div>

Once you get past 800 yards you'll start seeing the 175's over take the 168g loads.. If it works for you by all means stick with it. But 175smk loads with some varget are hard to beat at the 1000 mark.

I've never used a SS I was and have seen a ton of people recomending them as scopes but my cousin went through 3 and each had a knob slippage problem and it wouldnt track. People also told me bushnells reticles move from relcoil on 308s but that was just bs. I love my bushy and havnt looked back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CK thanks for the reply and good review it took some effort thank for posting </div></div>

No problem thank you for reading and replying. Reason I wrote this was for the guys in the same position I was looking at 700's. Just posted what I wish was posted when I was in the market for a rifle. Safe the guy a ton of researching and reading and just give the facts and proof of what it can and cant do.

First rule of the SPS Tacs is to throw the stock in the trash can and get something else.

Good review. Don't worry about what these people say. If you and your rifle are shooting .75MOA groups, and you are happy with the setup, don't even listen to their shit.
Can you imagine how much better they would be behind a rifle if they would have spent all of their money on ammo instead of "upgrading" and taking pics to post online??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: readytorock556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First rule of the SPS Tacs is to throw the stock in the trash can and get something else. </div></div>
Yea That seems to be a lot of peoples first upgrades. I do agree. For one Im just doing a review
on the gun as comes from the factory. So people can see what it can do out of the box. On another
note this rifle is a decent shooter. Some people blame lack of consistancy on the rifle and dont
look at proper form, trigger controle, breathing even judging the wind and assume it was the guns
fault the shot missed. The gun from my opinion shoots a decent group for a factory rifle. I'm
thinking about getting a upgraded stock and trigger later on but for now I admit my shooting still
has some room to improve before I start blaming my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paraiso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good review. Don't worry about what these people say. If you and your rifle are shooting .75MOA groups, and you are happy with the setup, don't even listen to their shit.
Can you imagine how much better they would be behind a rifle if they would have spent all of their money on ammo instead of "upgrading" and taking pics to post online?? </div></div>

Thank you. I cant seem to complain about those results my self either. "Whats not broken dont fix it" as they say.
grin.gif

I bought a LH 308 SPS Varmint for a donor action for a custom build. It shot so well that I couldnt trash it. I dropped it into a $200 HS Precision stock and it is a 1/2 minute rifle with hand loads. I just cut the barrell down to 18.5" and dropped it into a Manners T4 that I just bought here on the hide. Still around $950 total investment and it shoots great. Good way to get started for new guy.

+1 to that^^