• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Quick sight in question

HitEmHard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
San Antonio, TX
OK so this may be a stupid question... How the hell do I sight in a thermal device? It's got a reticle but I can't see definition on a regular paper target. Hot water bottles? Couldn't find anything on search. Thanks.

I do a few things...
I have a range on the farm with about 30 steel plates. I keep one at 25, 50, and 100 yards painted black. 90% of the time the sun heats them up more than enough during the day that I can see them quite well with the thermal. In the event that it doesn't, I just hit them with a propane torch for a minute.

If I don't feel like hitting the farm and want a quick sight in off the back porch I just use a hand warmer taped to a cardboard box.

There is a company that makes heated steel targets as well.

Shooting steel is a great way in that you can see the bullet impacts very easily and the impact sites should be visible thru the thermal for a bit, depending on ambient temps and the sensitivity of the detector of course. I spent a day at the range down in Mississippi shooting at some steel targets out to I think 300 last spring and even in the hot humid weather of MS I was able to see impacts and residue heat for quite some time. Looking thru a Vetronix LRTV and Oasys UTC in front of my USO 1.8-10.

I used sticky back heat pads for your back. They are like hand warmers, but are in little circles that could be cut out and stapled to the target. But regular hand warmers would work better, because they seem to get hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handwarmer and duct tape rules....

For blasting fun, hot water or cold water plastic bottles are lots of fun!

outside, black shoot-n-see on a white background in sunlight works well as the dark target retains heat that the white background doesn't. indoor range, I tape quarters to a standard paper target and heat them slightly with a lighter this also works really well.

Awesome. Thanks for the help! We filled some water bottles with hot and cold water, but it doesn't last too long. Headed to pop some 'yotes later hopefully...

I use a 3" gong that is supported by some heavy wire so it hangs about 5 inches in front of a plywood target backing. I heat it up for about 5 seconds with a torch, any longer, and the heat coming off it can make the sight picture appear much larger than the 3" gong. I staple paper to the plywood to see my misses and adjust from there.