• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Quickclot shelf life

I'm assuming you have the granules we used before the quikclot gauze correct? I would just toss it and replace it with the gauze. They replaced that stuff for a reason, probably beyond the severe burns it caused when used. I can't think of many wounds you cant control with gauze and a tourniquet. Neither of which is expensive for what would be a life threatening situation to be using them.

Now if you are just curious if it will actually still work...if it is not caked together it will likely work. Moisture is the enemy to quikclot, so if the package is compromised it could be done for. if it has been stored well then it's probably good, but I would not want to use it on myself or family given the alternatives out there.

Edited to add: Those granules were designed for battlefield conditions where you assumed the wound was going to be extremely dirty no matter what. The granules make it very difficult for drs to remove the damaged tissue and other debris.

If look around on ebay can find deals on combat gauze or IFAK refill kits.

If you're going to discard it and replace you should test it out and let us know if it still clots.
So, are you suggesting he 'shoot himself' someplace, like the upper arm or something, and then treat his own wound not unlike the manner in which John J. Rambo sewed up his own shoulder?

Because I don't know if that would work out very well, if I tried it. YOU could probably get through it though,,,, I'm pretty sure of that.

;)

Part of the reason for the change to coagulant gauze from coagulant powder is that in windy conditions you can get coagulant powder blown into your eye and be blinded, or have the powder blown away trying to administer it, and even at best you're attempting to pack powder into a wound. 'Combat Gauze' is saturated with the coagulant and is a generationally superior product. That does not discredit the early powder for what it is, there's no reason to get rid of it, I wouldn't waste it or trash it just because it isn't the newest available thing. I also would not buy coagulant powder now that coagulant gauze is available.

So, are you suggesting he 'shoot himself' someplace, like the upper arm or something, and then treat his own wound not unlike the manner in which John J. Rambo sewed up his own shoulder?

Because I don't know if that would work out very well, if I tried it. YOU could probably get through it though,,,, I'm pretty sure of that.

;)

I don't know if thats the way I'd test it personally but you do you.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Fuck it. I'll do it. Train as you fight, right? I'll take a .22 graze to the shoulder. I typically fuck myself up worse than that on a daily basis anyway.

But I ain't doing it free. I will let you pull the trigger for a cool $10k though, I got a few things I'd like to get. And we can video the results and post it. Of course.

Fuck it. I'll do it. Train as you fight, right? I'll take a .22 graze to the shoulder. I typically fuck myself up worse than that on a daily basis anyway.

But I ain't doing it free. I will let you pull the trigger for a cool $10k though, I got a few things I'd like to get. And we can video the results and post it. Of course.
I know a dumb ass that tried catching a 22 short in a folded up military blanket.

A Veterinarian fished the bullet out and it took forever for the wound to heal.

FYI, Hollywood is not that original when it comes to the country veterinarian fixing stupidity and accidents.

I know a dumb ass that tried catching a 22 short in a folded up military blanket.

A Veterinarian fished the bullet out and it took forever for the wound to heal.

FYI, Hollywood is not that original when it comes to the country veterinarian fixing stupidity and accidents.
But did that vet have quick lot powder that's the question at hand lol?

I mean keep it just to keep it I guess, but I can’t imagine using it when so many better cheap options exist. Buy gauze. Buy a tourniquet. Total investment = $30. Hell buy the quikclot gauze if you really think it’s necessary. But I would never use the granules on myself or anyone else I gave a shit about. You’re going to lose so much extra tissue because the surgeon is going to have to cut it out of your wound.

It is surprising the exp. date is so long on those. I looked through my box and I’ve still got the gauze they issued me on maybe my 2nd deployment (2012) and it expired in 2015.
52599DC5-C764-4CDF-B08C-53810591AB3C.jpeg

5598FEBC-0264-4476-81D0-5A499D13BF7C.jpeg

If you really want to test it without killing yourself in the process, dump some in a bottle of water. It works due to a chemical reaction with liquids (blood for example) that creates the heat. If someone is dead set on putting this in an actual wound I have something I need tested too. I have a bunch of these pill packs left that expired in 2012 and need to know if I’ll get sick taking them lol
B6745CD3-0F06-430F-8F5B-753EAAEF54D6.jpeg

I mean keep it just to keep it I guess, but I can’t imagine using it when so many better cheap options exist. Buy gauze. Buy a tourniquet. Total investment = $30. Hell buy the quikclot gauze if you really think it’s necessary. But I would never use the granules on myself or anyone else I gave a shit about. You’re going to lose so much extra tissue because the surgeon is going to have to cut it out of your wound.

It is surprising the exp. date is so long on those. I looked through my box and I’ve still got the gauze they issued me on maybe my 2nd deployment (2012) and it expired in 2015.
View attachment 7462745

View attachment 7462742

If you really want to test it without killing yourself in the process, dump some in a bottle of water. It works due to a chemical reaction with liquids (blood for example) that creates the heat. If someone is dead set on putting this in an actual wound I have something I need tested too. I have a bunch of these pill packs left that expired in 2012 and need to know if I’ll get sick taking them lol
View attachment 7462746
Quickclot would expire due to saturation with water over time.

Medication expires by losing potency.

How about royalties on the youtube video of you shooting yourself in the shoulder. Or in liberian dollars. Your choice.

Edit: 10k pesos too much

As a non joke, the CAT gen 7 tourniquets are about $30 And the 4 yd combat guaze z-fold is about $40 each.

apparently there are new guazes that may perform better.
last study I read, quick clot worked best.
i also like the small vacuum package.
tidy in my little ifak

As a non joke, the CAT gen 7 tourniquets are about $30 And the 4 yd combat guaze z-fold is about $40 each.

apparently there are new guazes that may perform better.
last study I read, quick clot worked best.
i also like the small vacuum package.
tidy in my little ifak
Doc68 said to NOT order any from him if you don't know what you are doing? Why? Aren't you supposed to pack the wound with it the wrap with a compression bandage?

I think his push is, that if you dont know, get training.
dont just buy it and plan to save a life.

similar to buying a gun and never shooting it. Ya gotta get training.

I do classes, but you are kinda far away! 😁

And an emoji from my kid!! 🌈🌈🌈

• Haha
Reactions: clcustom1911
Thank you. Right now things like stop the bleed classes are still closed.

The older QuickClot caused more tissue damage due to heat, not sure what year that changed. QuickClot is a mineral that speeds up activation of the clotting cascade, so it is conceivable that it would not expire so long as the packaging is not damaged.

Personally I prefer Celox. QuickClot requires a functional clotting cascade, most guys in the military are not taking anticoagulants, so this is not a concern. However, in the civilian world it is hard to say and Celox works in the absence of a functional clotting cascade. With either product, Z-fold gauze is the way to go. Training is important with either.