• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Quicker reload with Glocks???

wIg SpLiTtEr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
Quick question Hide.. Today while shooting my G23 I went to reload and wasn't sure if the mag fully locked into the mag well. I gave the bottom of the magazine a solid tap for lack of a better word with the bottom of my palm. As I did this the slide racked and reloaded. I repeated this several times with G23 as well as a G17 with the same results. Are glocks just designed to do this? Is this just an easier, more convenient way to rack the slide following a reload, thus, cutting down on reloading time? What do you guys think???

Re: Quicker reload with Glocks???

It happens with Glocks and Berettas quite often, and many other makes of pistols as well. It's not 100% reliable so I would not use it as a standard technique, just something that happens when you bounce the base causing the slide to bump back releasing the slide lock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It happens with Glocks and Berettas quite often, and many other makes of pistols as well. It's not 100% reliable so I would not use it as a standard technique, just something that happens when you bounce the base causing the slide to bump back releasing the slide lock. </div></div>

This^^, but as he said, don't rely on it working.

It should be considered a malfunction and safety hazard.

It's fun but not how it should operate. Perhaps change the slidecatch because its worn out.

Most plastic semi autos do this to so extent. Like the previous posts say, don't count on it to work 100% of the time since it was not designed to work that way. If you count on it during a match and it don't work you just lost valuable time. If your life is on the line and your under a lot of stress an you slam the mag in and the slide stays open you might be losing more than time.

It is not just plastic guns, Sigs do it also. Works 90% of the time. The other 10% you can get a nasty double feed. So basically do not do it. If you want a gun that does this by design (sort of), get an HK P7.

I've had it do this twice during qualification lately. Both times I pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. I wouldn't do it on purpose.

It's a worn slide stop. Replace the slide stop and get in the habit of slingshotting the slide once the mag is seated. When you pull the slide stop you'll see why - it's cheap sheet metal that wears.

Good luck

As others have noted, the slide stop is sometimes, mistakenly, refered to as the slide release. Racking the slide is the most reliable method of releasing it. Incidentally, I have seen this happen on relatively new Glocks, so I don't think it is only when the stop is worn out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Racking the slide is the most reliable method of releasing it.</div></div>

Must be a Glock thing.

My 34 does it sometimes. I would hardly call it a safety issue. When it doesn't do it I just thumb the slide stop and I am in business. I think of it as a bonus when it does it as it is faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had it do this twice during qualification lately. Both times I pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. I wouldn't do it on purpose. </div></div>

This is not the same condition the original poster is talking about. I would venture to guess yours failed to lock open on empty.

The OP is referring to the slide going home without actuating the slide stop once the magazine is fully and physically inserted which will not cause an empty chamber condition.

Its a phenomenon that happens when you have a polymer frame with a heavier slide. You can make it happen by smaking the heel of the frame. The inertia up is disengaging the slide stop/release and allowing the slide to go forward. I've seen it on just about every polymer pistol out there.

I wouldn't rely on it or train for it, but instead make sure you're properly executing a reload via using the slide lock/release.

Sean

It's called auto forwarding and has nothing to do with slide stop wear. It's usually caused by forcefully inserting the magazine with a slight forward momentum. Slowing down slightly, and making sure the magazine goes straight up will mitigate this. Still, it does happen to me on occasion as well.

Sure appreciate all of the input guys! Thanks..

Sincerely,
Blake

I have had this same thing happen with an XDM9 and an XD40 Tactical. It is very repeatable but I still wouldn't depend on it. I could find nothing wrong with either pistol upon teardown so i just attributed it to a design flaw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had this same thing happen with an XDM9 and an XD40 Tactical. It is very repeatable but I still wouldn't depend on it. I could find nothing wrong with either pistol upon teardown so i just attributed it to a design flaw.</div></div>

It's not a design flaw but physics!

einsteintongue.jpg

-Sean

M&P's (at least some of them) like to auto-forward also.

I would definitely say it isn't restricted to polymer frames. My Beretta 92FS and most of the others we have here at work will do it too. It's more of a worn slide lock/stop issue.

My SIG P229 does it too. Both are aluminum frame pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely say it isn't restricted to polymer frames.</div></div>

It isn't. I've had it happen (infrequently) with 1911s. As someone mentioned, it's physics. Smack your dining table and watch what happens to the place settings.