• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quickload help 280AI, 22”

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
I decided to let the sitting administration buy me a hunting rifle with the money I didn’t ask for-
I’ll be picking up a Savage 110 High Country in 280AI this weekend from my FFL. Of course I decided to get a new caliber in the worst time to do so.

I’m not looking for a discussion on the merits of my choices, or better bullets/powders, 280vs this or that, etc-just curious if someone could help a guy out with the data.

I’ve been able to get IMR4831, Hornady 162SST’s, and Nosler brass-and feel mighty lucky to have found a decent amount of each.

280AI seemed the best fit for my lack of an “anything in the lower 48 I may hunt” niche, and the model I picked at 8.1lb plus scope will make my shoulder surgeon happy. I am looking to save time and materials with what I have using my favorite OCW/OBT practices and have scoured the internet, but there’s been no shared QL data for my combo, especially the 22” barrel
If someone could run these numbers I’d be very appreciative.

-280AI, 65k psi max
-22” barrel
-162gr Hornady SST (a run for 162 Eld-X would be awesome in case they ever resurface)
- 3.430 OAL
-IMR 4831
-Nosler factory brass (73.8 H20 capacity)

**a spread of all powders that run 90+% case fill and 95% powder burn for 22” with 162 ELDX at above variables would be extremely helpful for future load development as powders become available also

Here's what I get with those inputs, starting at 50gr and going up in 0.5 increments. If you want a different start or increment ... let me know.

1621609774793.png

Reactions: sobrbiker883
Thank you sir!!!
If you’ve got time to a spread of all powders that run 90+% case fill and 95% powder burn for 22” with the same case/bullet variables that would be awesome for future load development as powders become available.

Thank you sir!!!
If you’ve got time to a spread of all powders that run 90+% case fill and 95% powder burn for 22” with the same case/bullet variables that would be awesome for future load development as powders become available.
Um ... not really ready to be your "Load Data Bitch" ... but happy to give you the QuickLOAD purchase link if that will help. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though ... if you have another specific run you'd like, for a probable second choice, I can do that for you. But shopping powder inputs through trial and error isn't on my weekend agenda. LOL

Rusty

Thank you sir!!!

It's easy to get a run of powders for a specific fill % and max pressure, but not the combo you're looking for:
1621610800492.png

Here you can see 95% fill and check for the powder burn %
1621610984360.png

Um ... not really ready to be your "Load Data Bitch" ... but happy to give you the QuickLOAD purchase link if that will help. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though ... if you have another specific run you'd like, for a probable second choice, I can do that for you. But shopping powder inputs through trial and error isn't on my weekend agenda. LOL

Rusty

Fair enough, I appreciate you taking the time you did!

Anybody asking for Quickload data should really download GR Tools for free. I don't have the former but the latter is definitely more modern, full featured, and is reasonably close to my loads.

Edit: GR Tools is lacking any data for IMR 4831, but here's H4831:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    771.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Anybody asking for Quickload data should really download GR Tools for free. I don't have the former but the latter is definitely more modern, full featured, and is reasonably close to my loads.

Edit: GR Tools is lacking any data for IMR 4831, but here's H4831:
This is what I use and it’s usually quite close.

This is what I use and it’s usually quite close.
Pretty cool, I just ballparked case capacity off Nosler’s site-any other reloading manuals give case capacity with seated bullet (I used brass capacity H2O and pressure seemed way low)

-edit: I just trimmed URL to find home page and instructions, then watched the bloke’s video on measuring usable case capacity-pretty slick!

Last edited:
I have this very same rifle and am having a terrible time getting a load to run over 2730 fps in it.

I have this very same rifle and am having a terrible time getting a load to run over 2730 fps in it.
What powder/bullet weight are you trying? Not that I have a remedy-mine’s actually on the way back to Savage unfired by me-headspace/throat issue (both short).
Of course, only the second savage I’ve ever bought retail (out of about 10-12 I’ve had), and the one with a fancy factory coating is the only one I’ve had any real issue with...

What powder/bullet weight are you trying? Not that I have a remedy-mine’s actually on the way back to Savage unfired by me-headspace/throat issue (both short).
Of course, only the second savage I’ve ever bought retail (out of about 10-12 I’ve had), and the one with a fancy factory coating is the only one I’ve had any real issue with...
I am trying 168 Nosler ABLR and I just picked up some 162 ELDM. I'm up to 60.5 gr of H4350 and 56 gr of Staball. I'm going to go try those on Saturday.

Here is my newest data from the Savage High country 22" .280 Ackley Improved

3 shot strings
168 Nosler Accubond LR

H4831 SC 59.2 Grains

Win. Staball 56.0 Grains

the Staball loads are starting to show some pressure. The primers are starting to flow into the primer hole ever so slightly. That said. the primers are not completely flat as they still have some radius around them.

The H4831 SC is not showing any signs yet and I think I could go another .5 up without any issue.

Reactions: Eric_F
Have any of you had trouble getting the accubond LR bullets to shoot well in your rifles? The best I can do with mine is 3moa. The 162 ELD-M are shooting about .8 moa.

Have any of you had trouble getting the accubond LR bullets to shoot well in your rifles? The best I can do with mine is 3moa. The 162 ELD-M are shooting about .8 moa.
Unfortunately I got my High Country back from Savage in August, shot it and it went back again. They marred the fancy PVD finish, obviously just cracked the barrel nut loose, twisted barrel to correct headspace, then overpolushed the chamber. The fired brass .3” up from base was .004-.007“ over SAAMI chamber spec at that datum point and brass was out of round.
Salvage is replacing the rifle now, and tossing in a extra magazine for my troubles (woohoo😐). Best part is I get to wait until more are produced as they don’t have a replace to send me.
Maybe I’ll luck out and have an acceptable version of what I bought by next year’s hunting season, cause it ain’t happening for the elk/deer season I bought the rifle for.
Not impressed with the QC or customer service since they got bought.

• Wow
Reactions: Eric_F