• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quiet Reloading

GreenCanoe

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2018
Desert Southwest
So I've been reloading for roundabout a decade and a half, and consider myself reasonably successful based solely on the fact that I have not sustained any substantial injury caused by my home manufactured ammunition. Having recently submitted paperwork for some suppressors, I am reevaluating my reloading decisions and was wondering if there are any hints, tips, tricks or otherwise anyone could provide when reloading .260, .308, .224 Valkyrie and 7mm-08 for use in suppressed rifles? I'm sure the process remains fundamentally the same, but is there anything one of the experienced members here have come across? I don't anticipate any new pressure signs from the addition of a can, or new transitional ballistic considerations, although surely the MV will have to be remeasured and POI shift may occur. Am I missing anything else? Any suggestions are welcome!

I've evolved to shooting everything suppressed ... 6.5-CM, 300-BLK, 300-WM, 300-PRC, and 338-LM. You've got the two considerations ... (1) Muzzle velocity will change (but not as much as you think), and (2) POI will shift (but also not a ton). My advice having gone through a transition period maintaining both suppressed and unsuppressed reference loads is ... don't bother. Just reset everything for a suppressor, and shoot 100% that way. Other than that ... it's no big deal. You'll learn to love the quiet firing when alone, and you'll learn to hate that guy at the next bench with the muzzle brake that blows your hat off.

Reactions: ArTeeKay
Unless you intend to try to download to subsonic velocities (most wouldn't recommend that, except for possibly .308 Win), don't change anything about the reloading process. Zero and dope the rifle for whichever way you're going to shoot it the most, and determine if the POI and velocity shift is consistent when you go the other way, and then if it is consistent, measure the offset so you can factor that into your dope if and when you switch. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

A can hanging off the end of the barrel that never touches the bullet won’t effect the internal ballistics.

Reactions: bmash
You'll learn to love the quiet firing when alone, and you'll learn to hate that guy at the next bench with the muzzle brake that blows your hat off.

I'm sure I will! I still plan on leaving my Precision Armament M11 on the 7mm, and I'm sure I'll learn to hate it (even though the recoil reduction with that brake is absolutely great).

Unless you intend to try to download to subsonic velocities (most wouldn't recommend that, except for possibly .308 Win), don't change anything about the reloading process. Zero and dope the rifle for whichever way you're going to shoot it the most, and determine if the POI and velocity shift is consistent when you go the other way, and then if it is consistent, measure the offset so you can factor that into your dope if and when you switch. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Reasonable, although like Rusty suggested, I'll probably get tired of that and have dedicated rifle cans...surely this will become an expensive rabbit hole...

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate the help!

A can hanging off the end of the barrel that never touches the bullet won’t effect the internal ballistics.
dear god is that wrong. Installing a half pound to full pound weight on your barrel changes harmonics which is what reloading is really all about.

dear god is that wrong. Installing a half pound to full pound weight on your barrel changes harmonics which is what reloading is really all about.
So you really think something external to the bore of the barrel is going to change how the powder burns within the bore of the barrel?

Dont press on that cars accelerator, there is a cow in that field.

Last edited:
So you really think something external to the bore of the barrel is going to change how the powder burns within the bore of the barrel?

Dont press on that cars accelerator, there is a cow in that field.

have you heard of a tuner. how do you think they work??

This is fundamental reloading pricinples boys.

Where that barrel is pointed in relation to the outside world when the bullet leaves has no effect on what is happening behind the bullet while it is still in the bore.

By your logic a tuner works by effecting the pressure/expansion rates of the propellant gases behind the bullet?

Edit: I see what you mean though. But I stand by what I said.

Last edited:

you're grasping at nothing

the reloading process with a suppressor doesn't change

but yes. you may need a new load with the additional weight on the front of the barrel

I
you're grasping at nothing

the reloading process with a suppressor doesn't change

but yes. you may need a new load with the additional weight on the front of the barrel
Im in agreement with you. Im not saying it’s different but installing a suppressor will almost certainly change optimal load.