• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Quittin Dippin. Tips or Tricks??

smboudreaux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Addis, La
i've been dippin for about 6 years now. i've quit on and off for up to 2 months but always seem to come right back to it for one excuse or another, huntin season, softball season, etc. what are some tricks you guys have used to kick the habit for good

Re: Quittin Dippin. Tips or Tricks??

I weaned myself off of it. I used a tobacco substitute and followed a routine that worked for another fella.

Week one, mix 3/4 of a can of real snuff with 1/4 can of substitute.
Week two, mix 1/2 and 1/2.
Week three, mix 1/4 can real snuff with 3/4 can of substitute.

I used the week three mix for about 2 weeks and then went to the substitute only, for about a month.

Been snuff free for over 3 years now...

and still crave it every day. Good luck.

This is the substitute I used.

Smokey Mountain Chew

There is a book called "With Winning in Mind" by Landom Bassham. He was an olympic shooter and the techniques in his book can be used for tobacco cessation as well helping with your shooting. It is an easy read, can be read in one or two sittings. It is kind of a mind over matter thing. Also you may consult your dentist or physician to write you an Rx for Wellbutrin or Zyban. Most of all you have to want to quit. Just thinking of quitting on an impulse will not usually work.

I hope this helps

Eddie

I quit when the dentist refered me to an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon said they would be removing my lower jaw if I didn't quit. That helped me quit after chewing for about 25 years. I have a friend who is a few months away from being dead from esofagus cancer. They had to pull his stomach up the replace the cut out esofagus. He has been on cemo but it didn't get rid of the cancer. He still chews. I guess it don't matter anymore.

yeah thats what i've been dreading. the trip to the dentists office. after i started dippin cope i could basically watch my gums get worse.

I started in the 70's when you could four cans free by sending in a coupon cut out of an Outdoor Life magazine. Went heavy and steady after enlisting in '78; then quit a half dozen times and always went back. While in Fallujah in '2005, when I wasn't sleeping or eating, I had a dip in. I saw guys going through a can a day, or more. When I got back, I even dipped while in church, and the shower. About three years ago, I went cold turkey; hardest thing I ever did. +1 on still having cravings. You have to want to do it, and stay off of it. Good luck. Tell everyone you know the day you are quitting; I tried to go it solo and failed more than once.

Ive been dipping skoal wintergreen off and on for about 3 years now. I dont like it but its a habit and I struggle to quit. So Ive been on an alternative for about 3 weeks now, its helping cut the habitual parts of the dipping. Like for me it was always having the bottle to spit in and the smell and taste of wintergreen. I never needed the nicotine but I just liked how it smelled and that wintergreen taste.

So its a hard road to walk down but certainly glad I didnt pick smoking. My dentist warned me that I wasnt to far gone to get my gum and tooth health back, to quit asap. I took his advice. Id like to keep my jaw!

The trick I used involved cold turkey, a quit date written on the calendar, and instead of dipping, I would pop an aspirin (or some other headache pill) to get rid of the brutal headache that I was gonna get. Seemed to help me get over the hurdle, and has worked for some friends of mine. Been dip free for a long time now, and I don't even get the cravings.

As soon as you realize you have and addiction and not a habbit you'll start to understand how to quit.

I dipped Cope at about a can a day from the age of 16 to 30. Wife finally wore me down and I went on the patch, back when you neeeded a prescription for it.

Only way I could do it was to go cold turkey with the patch. Quit for ten years, missed it every day !!

I'M TRYING TO QUIT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! BEEN OFF IT FOR 2 WEEKS AND I WANT TO KILL MUPPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously I did quit 2 weeks ago and I have stopped ofr a month here and there over the last 16 years but in the end you have to want to quit. I'm 4 years away from retiring and I want to be healthy enough to enjoy it.

Tried the patch...it sucked gave me weird dreams.

Tried the gum...it sucked made my jaw hurt since I was chomping it from morning till night.

Tried the pills...it sucked made me fart a lot.

Best thing so far is the Commit lozenge. Two flavors mocha and mint I suggest getting both as mint is too minty first thing in the morning but mint is the staple through the day. The mocha goes well with coffee on the drive to work and I like it late at night too. Thing about the commits is that they are the best match for the habits of a dipper. These products in general are for smokers and its well documented dip has alot more of the things we crave than cigaretts. With the commit lozenges you pop one in between your cheek and gum just like a dip so the the habit is much more familiar as opposed to chewing gum which I never was into anyways. If you live near a Costco thats the best place to get them as they are much more expensive at the drug store or grocery stores.

Good luck.

Leather lip,,,,,I need to quit but I damn sure love it,started when I was in the Corps.

My Uncle dipped till he was 98,then he died from old age.

I did cope for 11 years,quit cold turkey. Chewed lots of gum pissed off everybody around me, lost a good friend almost got divorced,but have not had any. WILLPOWER be strong!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also lots of beef jerky, good luck, you can beat this if you want to. </div></div>

You have to WANT to quit. I used peppermint gum for the flavor. But you have to make up your mind that you really WANT to quit. If you can stop using for a week, then it's a mental thing. By then the nicotine has mostly left your system.

You can do it. Hang in there.

Step 1: stop buying that crap
Step 2: substitute the habit
Step 3: eliminate the subbed habit

Its easier to quit chewing Big Red than to quit Skoal. Every time you want a smoke, or a dip, get a stick of gum out of the pack. If you want to dip 20 times, chew 20 sticks of gum.

After about 3 weeks(21 days) the <span style="font-weight: bold">nicotine</span> will have left your system. This chemical is responsible for the physical side of the addiction. As long as it is in your system you will feel 'relaxed' or whatever excuse your brain makes up to smoke/dip. The edgy, stressed out feeling you get when you crave is actually your body's reaction to the nicotine, a withdrawal symptom. So in context, the cigarettes and dip do not make you "relax" or "take the edge off". You are beginning to feel the withdrawal symptoms and are starting to bug out, so you need to reinoculate yourself with a new dose of Nicotine to tell your body to stfu for another 15 minutes. <span style="font-weight: bold">As long as you have nicotine in your system, you will continue to feel the withdrawal effects.</span> You have to completely eliminate your nicotine intake, and then after 3 weeks the <span style="font-style: italic">physical dependance will stop</span>.

The mental dependance (habit) comes from 2 things, routine and mouth efficacy. Its like a nervous mannerism or behavior, to relax you like putting things in your mouth and between your fingers. (Saving the innuendo for another day) <span style="font-style: italic">You have ritualized your smoking or dipping habit to coincide with the tasks and chores of your daily life. </span>

Tell me if this is true, cig smokers or dippers:
1. Wake up and have a smoke.
2. Pour a cup of coffee and have a smoke.
3. Leave the house for work or whatever, and have a smoke.
4. Eat a meal, breakfast, brunch or lunch, and have a smoke.
5. Arrive to work, or whatever, and have a smoke.
6. Go on your break, or finish a random task, and have a smoke.
7. Commute, or driving somewhere, you have a smoke.
8. After you get home, but before you watch TV, have a smoke.
9. Bored after a lapse of 15-25 minutes, you have a smoke.
10. Eat dinner, afterwards you have a smoke.
11. <span style="font-style: italic">Have a beer, you smoke twice as much.</span>
12. Settle down for the night, you have a smoke before bed.

You should notice, for every little thing you do throughout the day, you have made it a time to smoke or dip. It is a ritualized behavior pattern. You have to replace that ritual with one that doesn't smell like ass, affect your personal health, the health of those in your immediate surroundings, etc. This is why I recommend a big pack of chewing gum. I used Big Red to replace the 2 pack a day Marlboro Reds I smoked for 10 years. A pack of Big Red probably runs about a dollar, compare that price to a can of Skoal or a pack of Newports. Each pack has a good 20 or 50 individually packaged pieces of gum. The ritual of removing a stick of gum from the package, discarding the wrapper, and chewing up the stick is enough mouth efficacy to replace the joy of flicking ashes off a cigarette and mashing the filter between your lips. Big Red has a strong cinnamon flavor, it almost burns your tongue and throat in the manner a cig or pinch would. It helps to psyche yourself out. The stick will lose flavor quick--if you still feel like smoking chew another piece. Eventually you will get sick of cinnamon, and if you vigilantly chew a stick everytime you want a smoke or dip, your brain will gradually associate the flavor and habit of chewing a stick of gum with the mental desire to smoke. Since chewing gum isn't addictive, you will drop that habit pretty quick.

Final tips:

Forget "quitting smoking aids", half of them are marketed by tobacco companies anyway, they want you to keep buying tobacco products. Just becuase you quit smoking, doesn't mean you cant still be their customer. They want you to replace the cigarrette habit with patches, nicorette, whatever they can to keep nicotine in your system. Get the nicotine out of your system, (3 weeks to metabolize) and the rest is easy.

Stay the HELL away from alcohol. Nicotine and Alcohol are best friends. They go hand in hand. Alcohol by itself will lower your inhibitions and judgement and make you more likely to smoke. Smoking has a similar, although less prevalent effect on drinking habits. However the synergistic use of these carcinogens is very bad for your liver and a lifetime of abuse will greatly increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, Hepatitis, and Cirrhosis.

Think of your personal image: Girls don't like guys that have yellow nicotine stained fingers, yellow nicotine stained teeth, breath, hair, hands, and clothes that smell like an ashtray. No decent girl will want to get intimate with an ash tray.

Think of your personal health: Lung cancer SUCKS. Emphysema SUCKS. Throat, tongue, mouth, face cancer SUCKS. Smoking KILLS your stamina and endurance. You used to be able to run a mile and not get winded. I challenge you to run ONE lap now. Physical fitness is important, its directly tied to your personal health and quality of life. Eliminate the negative behaviors and bad habits in your life and replace them with constructive activities. Supplement the lifestyle change however you can. Quitting cigs or dips won't help much if you still hang out at the bar with all your drinking buddies.

out..

Sunflower seeds.

I used to go through a few cans a week for about 4 years. But then I got too poor to buy it so I used sunflower seeds instead.

Still eat the seeds but its way cheaper and somewhat better for you.

I dipped and smoked in high school and all the way tohe end of my last deployment
in 2006 and i just woke up one morning at Bahgadad airport cant remember the base name, and decided that when i left that hell hole i wasnt going to do it anymore and i didnt simple as that, but believe me i wanted to pretty bad for about 7 months, but by then i was allready working in Alaska and that shit was like $10.00 a can there.

I'm not sure if the Commit lozenge's are all sugar free or if they offer a sugar free option but be sure to use SF or by the time you are off the nicotine you'll be treating more decay than if you had doubled your dip intake instead of quitting. Goes for chewing gun substitution as well, sugar free only.

Oh there certainly is sugar in them but the idea is to be off them in 6 weeks dont think thats going to do any more harm than drinking soda which I dont do.

Had two different dentists tell me dipping prevents cavities as it kills the bacteria that causes them...so on one hand you dont have cavities on the other you dont have any gum tissue to hold those cavity free teeth in your jaw.

or Chantix. Any of the meds will only work if you truly want to quit, same with any other method. If you go the med route stay on them for at least 90 days. I wanted to quit went on Chantix, two days later I put the dip can down, none of the headaches or nervousness I would normally get. Problem was is that I thought I was good after 30 days - I was wrong as one event triggered me back into my old behavior, and the addiction continues.

I actually quit cold turkey once my last year in the Corps, that lasted 7 years. I can't believe I went back to it after that. Stupid move on my part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh there certainly is sugar in them but the idea is to be off them in 6 weeks dont think thats going to do any more harm than drinking soda which I dont do.

Had two different dentists tell me dipping prevents cavities as it kills the bacteria that causes them...so on one hand you dont have cavities on the other you dont have any gum tissue to hold those cavity free teeth in your jaw. </div></div>

I know what your saying but I find many will continue one of the "nicotine substitutes" long after the suggested program stopping times. Nicotine is real bitch and many don't break her grasp.

6 weeks is not really a long term problem but any daily sustained sugar intake can devastate your dental health in short order, many times by your next 6 month checkup. I've seen it all.

I'm far from the person who should be handing out quit dipping advice, but I have read several of these posts and think that some of the suggestions are good ones, for me anyways. I go thru 3 cans a day, two of which I'll use up in an 8 hour shift at work. I am going to go to the doctor and see about the wellbutrin or chantix route as when I've tried quitting in the past I've been ready to rip heads off of shoulders after only a few hours of withdrawl. I also like the idea of the Big Red gum, I sometimes chew it when I'm somewhere I can't be spitting on the ground or in a bottle after a few minutes of chewing it it always seams to be balled up in the lower right side of my lip. The cinnimon flavoring gives a little bit of a burn, which strangly enough is somewhat satisfying. I also like the suggestion of popping a few asprin since if you are a heavy tobbacco user you will inevitably get the throbbing temples, eyes popping out of your head headache. May as well cut it off before it starts.

My uncle was a constant dipper like myself for 25 years though. He was able to quit and it's probably been 3 years or more since he's had any dip or cigarettes. What he did at the suggestion from someone else and he suggested to me, sounds kinda stupid but who am I to judge.... He went to the tobbacco store and picked up a roll, brought it home and sat it on the counter. When he got a craving he'd take a can into the bathroom, grab a pinch and flush it down the toilet. When he couldn't take it anymore he flushed what was left of the roll down the toilet. I'm sure it was torturing himself, but I think there must be something mental to it.

I have quit several bad things in my life and the only way to do it is cold turkey. Just be a man and suffer through it. When its over its over. Its all about making a decision and doing it.

Thats hard advice but it works.

Send me your cans. I will empty them, and fill them with nice fresh rabbit crap. Then I'll send them back. When you get ready to dip, just dip that rabbit shit. After a day or two, you will be so sick of dipping you will quit. Just looking at a can you will think of not Cope, but that raggedy ass rabbit shit and be done for good!

If that don't work, just let the ol lady get ahold of your pepsi can and get a nice sip, you will be doe forever after that. Worked for me an Red Man Plug. Man, Iwill never forget the look on PAnty 6's face when she got a mouthful off that spit ROFLMMFAO!!! Oh my God was I toast, but man it was worth it! Good thing she didn't swallow THAT time!

I quit several times for a considerable amount of time each time. Thing I used was what my mom used to tell me "Great men became great, by doing what they didn't feel like doing when they didn't feel like doing it".

Just don't buy it, don't look at it, don't think about it. Course I type this with a big ole dip of cope in. Don't follow my example.....

Quitting dip was the hardest thing I've ever done. Somehow I could manage to quit for 6 weeks without issue, and then for some reason or another 'd be back into the habit without realizing it. It really did a number on my self-confidence.

I met a pretty hot girl who wouldn't tolerate it, and somehow that was enough to quit permanently (for once it's made me do something smart).

10 years later, and I'll get sick if I even smell the stuff. The fact dip now incites the gag reflex is something I'm certainly thankful for today.

I quit cold turkey also after 13 years only thing I used was some incentive from my uncle who I was working for at the time. He offered me $1000 to stop ($500 after 2 months and another $500 after 4 months), and I had to promise him if I ever started again I would have to pay it back. I also found this helpful Kill The Can Mainly the money saved part!! Been off for 5 years now, sometimes when I hunt I dip the herbal no tobacco or nicotine wintergreen snuff!
Good Luck!!!

Google a picture of someone with oral cancer... or horrendously jacked up teeth from dipping... print... and put on bathroom mirror. Everytime you brush ect. you get a reminder of what you are quitting for... best since you see it when you wake up and before you go to bed. Helped me.

Each time I had spinal surgery I had to stop. Nicotine interferes with bone healing so NO nicotine gum etc. I just quit.

Now that I'm healed,I still dip on occasion. A can will go stale before I finish it. Maybe 1 can a week. I just love the taste of Copenhagen.

US tobacco was a sponsor for the World of Outlaws Racing series when I raced Sprint Cars, they had bikini girls giving out cans. But if you wanted Copenhagen you actually had to have a can in your possession. Life was good-driving a 850hp 1100 lbs winged sprint car and free Copenhagen. (too bad they weren't giving out $40,000 racing engines!)

I smoked/dipped for 11 yrs. quite cold turkey and used sunflower seeds to help with the craving. Each person is different you will need to find what works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quit when the dentist refered me to an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon said they would be removing my lower jaw if I didn't quit. That helped me quit after chewing for about 25 years. I have a friend who is a few months away from being dead from esofagus cancer. They had to pull his stomach up the replace the cut out esofagus. He has been on cemo but it didn't get rid of the cancer. He still chews. I guess it don't matter anymore. </div></div>

LOL. My dad is a Dentist and he dips, and my uncle is an oral surgeon and he dips. Needless to say, I wound up dipping to. I can and do quit periodically just to prove I can at will but, I like it and it is really not that dangerous (do the research).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoleCailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LOL. My dad is a Dentist and he dips, and my uncle is an oral surgeon and he dips. Needless to say, I wound up dipping to. I can and do quit periodically just to prove I can at will but, I like it and it is really not that dangerous (do the research).
</div></div>

I actually heard the same thing from a Dentist (that it wasn't really that bad to dip).

dipped skoal for 30 years. quit cold turkey 14 months ago. it's tough when i'm around my friends that still do. but at 52 i finally realized i didnt want my head to rot off. i guess it's my own mortality that got me to quit.

one more point. ichewed all day every day. i usually stopped to eat and sleep, but not always. i feel SO much better now. that helps me stay off it too.

On the chantix now for 2 weeks... Still dippn but at 1/2 the rate... I need to get a little meaner.... fuck these crazy ass dreams are a trip... I feel like I should be chronicling the damn things... Must have will powa!

my wife is so F'n far up my ass to quit right now because of new life insurance I love my Copenhagen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoleCailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I actually heard the same thing from a Dentist (that it wasn't really that bad to dip). </div></div>

Dental hygiene is the key. My Dentist has never even asked me. But I think moderation is important too. We all know guys that can stuff about 1/4 can into their face.

I saw a guy at the range 5 years ago-obviously very ill. He volunteered that he was a cancer patient. He had oral cancer-never drank,smoked or dipped in his life. The Doctors at Sloan-Kettering in NYC said genetic factors or the FOOD SOURCE
eek.gif
caused the lesions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoleCailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quit when the dentist refered me to an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon said they would be removing my lower jaw if I didn't quit. That helped me quit after chewing for about 25 years. I have a friend who is a few months away from being dead from esofagus cancer. They had to pull his stomach up the replace the cut out esofagus. He has been on cemo but it didn't get rid of the cancer. He still chews. I guess it don't matter anymore. </div></div>

</div></div>

Not splitting hairs here but it may not seem dangerous UNLESS you happen to be a member of the group that is more genetically predisposed to develop cancers. While the percentages may be relatively low it sure sucks if your the one that develops head and neck cancer linked to tobacco. Why chance it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not picking hairs here but it may not seem dangerous UNLESS you happen to be a member of the group that is more genetically predisposed to develop cancers. While the percentages may be relatively low it sure sucks if your the one that develops head and neck cancer linked to tobacco. Why chance it. </div></div>

To answer your question, I like it. I must say though that I am am kind of rare on the whole addiction thing. I don't dip everyday but usually do, a can lasts me a week. For instance I was in Vegas earlier this month for five days, I did not dip at all.

The 1% increase in cancer risks that researchers think exists (as in they can't prove it, and studies are conflicting), I think I will continue to do what I enjoy. Most cases of people who dip and get mouth cancer are from segments of the population that have poor dental hygiene, poor healthcare, poor nutrition, and consume copious amounts of alcohol. The most interesting study I have read is Sweden's anti smoking campaign where they encourage the use of smokeless Tobacco over smoking. They have seen a dramatic decrease in lung cancer and the in increase in mouth cancer was much less than 1%, it was lower than the beta of the study.

Drinking and smoking both greatly increase the chances of mouth cancer, and just about every other type of cancer. I don't drink much and only smoke cigars occasionally so I dip worry free. As a Smokeless Tobacco user, I am much more likely to die in a car crash than of mouth cancer.

YMMV,

Cole

Cost of Can of Dip: about $4.50
1 can per day habit = $31.50 per week
= $1638 per year

That looks like close to 3 free cases of match ammo free... every year... for LIFE! And thats if you don't reload...

Or a 6 day course to Rifle's Only... With Change!

Then I don't suppose it would do any good to get into the side affects caused like gingival recession, root surface exposure, root surface decay etc..

-just sayin..
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then I don't suppose it would do any good to get into the side affects caused like gingival recession, root surface exposure, root surface decay etc..

-just sayin..
smile.gif
</div></div>

All valid points. However, my dad is a dentist, I take very good care of my mouth, I have never had a cavity (25 years old). The key is good dental hygiene. My dad dips all day everyday except when working on patients, and he has no problems because he flosses and takes care of his teeth. Same can be said about my dipping oral surgeon uncle. I am by no means recommending that people start dipping. It is a nasty habit that cost lots of money.

I will say if you are a dipper, order your chaw off of the net. I pay eight something a roll of five for grizzle and have been taking advantage of Copenhagen winter green promotion of 5 cans for about $9 a roll.

YMMV,

Cole

I have been dipping for 29 years. I started Chantix yesterday. Already seems to be working. I normally dip a can a day. I had one dip yesterday and one so far today. I have quit before a couple of times for a month or so but that's it. Something about a six year old little girl asking you too seems to give a little added encouragement. I hope I make it this time because I don't want to disappoint her.

By the way, I am a dentist as well. I should know better

since i started this post i have quite... twice....both unsuccessful. i took 2 weeks of vacation around the holidays, worked great as a starter. made it about 2 weeks back at work, caught a job with another co worker who dips religiously and that broke me. just didnt have the want to bad enough