• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report R&D .243 range report

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
Randy began this build 4-5 years ago. It was my first precision rig and he helped me through all the usual first time (and I assume annoying) questions. At that time, he trued up a rem 700 SA, installed shilen 1:10 243 barrel, and installed the vais muzzle break. The rifle sat in its original H&S PSS stock.

Over the years, I have tried to learn as much as I can and have slowly been trying to build the rifle up....

This summer, the final touches got all done--The rifle was bedded into a Mcmillan A5, Badger bottom metal was installed and it was all given a new paint job to match. Someday (I hope) there is one more scope upgrade in its future.......

Here's a not so great pic of the rifle all done:

IMG_0932.jpg

Finally got a chance to take the rifle out and re-zero it this weekend. Once in the ball park, I took last ten rounds and fired these two groups.

Ammo was hornady 75gr HP
Range 100 yards
Position was prone
Front rest was a rucksack, rear rest was a one of redman's bags......

IMG_0931.jpg

First group I clearly have a personal issue. While I think there is a little trigger control issue going on most of the problem was a lack of focus on cant. Shooting off the ruck I think I lost discipline and didn't pay enough attention to rifle cant. After one more scope adjustment, the second group would have been one of my best ever....except for the pulled 3rd shot......which ironically ended up dead center of the target.....

But, I am very, very happy with how the rifle turned out and how it shoots. Not that he needs an endorsement from me, but Randy is absolutely a stand up professional and does absolutely amazing work.

Re: R&D .243 range report

Nice rifle. I'm curious about the choice of 1:10 twist for the barrel... is this a varmint rig? Do you do allot of UKD targets at closer range? I have a 1:8 on my 243 for the heavier bullets. Just curious, beautiful rilfe!

thought alot about twist rates.....took randy's advice. I shoot a lot of UKD. Almost always in high winds. Max range realistically is 600 yards on prairie dogs and 400 yards on deer/antelope. 90% of what I shoot is 75gr rounds. The rest is 85-100grains.

So, the light fast bullets seem the best and the 1:10 seems to work well.

Randy put together 243 with a shilen ss 1:10 for me for coyote hunting and it loves 87 gr vmax.I never did get back to him but I am happy with everything.
Thanks Randy
Ashley

Whats the data on the white card and can I get a copy?
Thanks

The slower twists are very popular around here for the 6PPC (300yd BR croud). Some of the guys are getting amazing velocities with bullets just under 70gr. I believe they go as slow as 1:12 for that game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landcbeitner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The slower twists are very popular around here for the 6PPC (300yd BR croud). Some of the guys are getting amazing velocities with bullets just under 70gr. I believe they go as slow as 1:12 for that game. </div></div>

They go as slow as 1-14". Works great with light 6mm pills at short range.