• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 Bolt Question

JonnyHawes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Bluefield, WV
www.facebook.com
Hey guys,

I recently got a Remington 700 VTR in .223. Just as a side note this is my 3rd R700 of varying models, and Ive never experienced this.

Got to take her out for the first time the other day, and I had a small problem.

Its a 5 + 1. So I put 5 in the internal mag, then one in the chamber. Close the action. Shoot. It ejects the shell fine, but when I drop a new one in, it OCCASIONALLY (1-3 shells per set) stops about 1/5" shot of closing and/or it gets incredibly stiff when I try to lock the action down. And the brass is getting all chewed up too (visible scratches the length of the casing) and leaving all kinds of shavings in the chamber.

Its hard to explain really. Maybe someone knows what the heck is going on. Ive never had this happen with any of my other bolts.

Is this common? Like a breakin period?

Or maybe Im just a stupid newb and its quite common lol Someone tell me something please.

Re: R700 Bolt Question

My 700 sps-v was/is doing that as well. It was really bad the first 10 rounds. I'm at 40 rounds right now and the problem is pretty much gone.

It shouldn't be like that, but from what I can tell, a break-in of the rifle is slowly fixing it. Shoot another 20 or so rounds to see if you notice any change.

Do I have to shoot more rounds through it, or could I simply cycle some more through it? Bc there is ab 20" of snow outside right now haha Im kinda trapped!

Ive had 2 R700 SPS' and both were beautiful out of the box, no problems at all.

This is common on Remington's. The extractor has to slice over the rim as you rotate the bolt. Fit and finish isn't as good as it used to be on Remingtons so I guess sometimes they need to be run in so to speak. I take a Cratex wheel and polish the inside of the extractor. This breaks all the sharp edges and makes it easier on the rims. Seems to be more prevelant on the 223's. All the extractors are made of the same material and the smaller 223 extractors would take more force to get them to flex out of the way as you rotated the bolt.

I found on mine that the visible scratches the length of the case is caused by the sharp edge on the action above the follower. If you put the cartridge into the mag, as you push it into the chamber you will notice the line on the case. I don't know if that area can be dressed too much without causing feeding problems.

I emailed Remington but that was 4 days ago, and still no answer. So Ive gathered I didnt just get a bum rifle and that its more common than I thought.

So basically you guys are saying other than wearing it in there is not much I can do?

99% of the time when you encounter this issue in the .223's it's the extractor. The claw is a little too long. Not sure if this is a supplier spec problem or if Remington is just not cutting the extractor grove deep enough. Order a new extractor. File down the edge of the extractor claw before you install it and you will be good to go. Remember it don't take much. Practice on the one you take out but don't use an extractor you have removed. Not a good idea to remove the extractor and put it back in. You take it out put in a new one.

The extractor has some spring to it to allow the extractor to compress and the claw to snap over the case rim. Problem is the claw is too big and once the extractor is compressed in the extractor grove it takes some force to cam over the case rim.

AS for the scratches on the case it can be caused by the feed rails, the follower, a burr in the chamber (not liley since Remington chambers are not cut), or several other things.

Maybe (Not holding my breath) but you'll have better luck having someone else who is experienced at building rifles look at it.

UPDATE:

I believe I have figured out what piece is causing the casing to be gouged. I dont know the names of gun parts lol so bear with me.

As the bullet travels up into the chamber from the magazine, it appears to be the "ramp" leading into the chamber. At least some testing with my fingers and some blanks led me to this.

I was planning on getting a new bolt knob installed anyways via a Smith from the forums here. I am hoping they will just fix the extractor for me (bc apparently Remington is not game at all). Then I was going to just rub down the sharp edges and she should be alright.

Sound good?

Jonny

About 2 months ago I purchased my very first R700 Police .308 26" Barrel.

I was having this exact same problem... now im the type of person that thinks a lot about my hobbies, so I pretty much got myself into reloading within a few weeks of getting the rifle. I have purchased some Lapua brass for the handloads and i also have some factory remington ammo just to get me started.

I was having lots of nasty scratches on my remington factory loaded brass... Now, naturally i was not happy with this as I did not want the same scratches to eventually end up on my lovely lapua brass.

Without even having fired a shot I immediately returned the rifle back to the place of purchase and they had a warranty service man look at it... About 7 weeks later I had my rifle back. Took freakin ages !!!

The store tells me that it was polished on the inside as it was missing a few final touches. Im pretty sure my brass was scratching on the ramp as the bolt was pushed forward.

Anyway, thought it might help for you to know that yes remington will look at it if you want them too. Why should you ruin perfectly good brass on a rifle that shouldnt have that problem?

I had a few people tell me to just shoot it and that it would go away... but really... would soft brass really rub off a hard steel burr? Not any time soon i think

Thanks man. Thats good to know. Since Remington wont answer me I will probably end up taking it back so they can get Remington for me. Hate to do it but come on.

Call their customer service, tell them what is happening. They will send you a shipping lable so it won't cost you anything to get it back. Normally (not Christmas time) it takes about two weeks to get it back. They have gotton two out of two back from me in last three years. One they got back twice.
The more problems you send them the more it gets their attention to detail worked out.

Update for you guys

Called them and they agreed to fix it at no cost, but I have to pay to ship it to them. What kinda crap is that? Why should I have to pay for them to fix my gun that should not have left the factory in this condition?