• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 - Doesn't feel right

HotLash

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Got my R700 (.308) out because I finally got some ammo for it. I tossed a round in the chamber, and slid the bolt forward with no issue. When it came time to roll the bolt down to lock it, it was tight as hell. I mean, it takes some work to roll the bolt over! So, I rolled the bolt up, ejected the round, and came here. It's my first bolt rifle, but I certainly don't want to take it to a range if I'm not 100% confident everything is kosher.

Ammo is Prvi Partizan 168 Match. HPBT.

Looks like the edge of the chamber is dragging on the case neck a bit. I will try to get pictures tonight.

Are new rifles typically a little hard to work?

Re: R700 - Doesn't feel right

Sounds like you trying to cam the extractor over the roumd. This will make it harder then normal. Try feeds from the mag and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't you need to have the extractor worked on it should cam out at least .025 if it's right.

Good ol Remington
frown.gif

Cleaned the rifle, chamber included, and will again. The round falls smoothly into the chamber with the bolt pulled out.

When you say it should cam out at .025 what do you mean? I'm an engine builder so I understand tolerance, but not what you're talking about. Please advise?

Cleaned the rifle, chamber included, and will again. The round falls smoothly into the chamber with the bolt pulled out.

When you say it should cam out at .025 what do you mean? I'm an engine builder so I understand tolerance, but not what you're talking about. Please advise?

From another forum regarding Prvi match ammo...

"i got a box to sight in my new 5r. it chambered really tight. the bolt closed very hard. i only shot 4 shots to zero it in, no groups as i was scared to shoot anymore eventhough there were no pressure signs. btw, the fgmm chambered nice and easy."

Try some different ammo. PRIVI may have screwed up something up.

My old 5R did the same thing with Federal gold medal match, though not as extreme as you are saying. Seemed like a slight crush fit on the shoulder. Shot very well for me. I would advise against trying to force the bolt closed on any round but you already know that.

It sounds like your head space may be to tight.You can try some differnt ammo as mentioned above. You will likely need to find a smith to look at the rifle or send it to remington. It is not unheard of for a factory rifle to make it past qc with some issues.

Well, I just chambered all 80 rounds, and there were gross inconsistencies, from nigh impossible to chamber to smooth as silk. While the headspace may be on the tight side, I think the largest issue is the disparity in length from the base of the rim to the shoulder of the cartridge. I will pick up a small box of US .308 stuff to see how it feels. I guess I need to start going to USA Ammo or Southwest for my paper punchers. Thank you all for the replies. If its still an issue with different brass, I will let Remington take care of it. I don't think I should pay for a smith to "fix" a brand new rifle. I do understand that things can slip through the cracks, but I will try various other brass before I blame the rifle.

Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

That's like putting 87 octane in a 14:1 race motor.

And you wonder why you had problems ? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

And you wonder why you had problems ? lol </div></div>

For launching copper at paper and pigs, it would be fine... in theory. My theory has been thrown in the shredder, however. I'm glad you can shoot $2.00 per squeeze ammunition, because I sure can't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[I'm glad you can shoot $2.00 per squeeze ammunition, because I sure can't. </div></div>

try handloading....

I agree, its probably the ammo, I only have had this problem with winchester brand ammo, now i reload my own stuff or buy federal match or hornady match/tap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[I'm glad you can shoot $2.00 per squeeze ammunition, because I sure can't. </div></div>

try handloading.... </div></div>

I knew that was coming, heh. If I can find some good ammo at a good price, I will hang on to the brass. As it stands, I would have to shoot A LOT to break even. Maybe in a couple years, but probably not sooner. It's definitely on my to-do list, though.

Hotlash, what makes you think that you'd have to shoot a lot to break even. Let's see. You can get into reloading for well under the cost of 1000 rounds of match ammunition. I consider Federal Gold Medal Match to be the best factory loaded ammunition and it goes for around $1 a pop.

As for your sticky bolt problem, you're chamber may be a bit on the tighter side. Lucky you. While at the range, I've had several people try to hand me the import ammunition that they shoot so that I can try it out. This ranges from milsurp to Bear ammo and the chances are about even that what they hand me won't chamber in my rifle. If I have to force it at all, I don't shoot it.

What you are describing does happen sometimes.

I'd definitely look into reloading it is worth every penny, but I'd check your current cases for consistently if you plan on using them. Buy some good ammo and I'd bet the problem goes away.

It would take me a long time to go through 1k rounds, but I will certainly do more research on reloading.
I'm selling my stock of PPU, I will not be shooting it.

Thanks!

It's the Privi "Match" ammo, had the same problems, three different rifles, 1 savage and 2 remmys. Handloads, FGGM, and even bottom end federal worked fine.....

After the Privi brass was "fireformed" I bumped the shoulder back and cleaned it up for cheap plinkers and it now works...

Serbia... usually makes some decent stuff... this ammo is NOT...

FGMM ammo comes small and it chambers in damn near everything. Some rifle builders have reamers cut specifically for FGMM rounds because they tend small and do so for getting a tight chamber with rifles that are only going to shoot that stuff.

PRVI brass is not as small, and you're likely feeling that the headspace is a touch tight on that new rifle with the PRVI ammo.

If it closes up without bashing the handle shut (tight but smooth) then I'd go shoot a round and check to see if you get a pressure sign warning. My bet (having shot this stuff) is that you'll see no pressure warning signs, but the ammo will shoot about 3/4-1 MOA from a rifle that will ordinarily run in the 1/2-3/4 range.

It's not the greatest ammo in the world, but for practice ammo it's hard to beat the price for shooting at multiple MOA targets inside of 6-800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

For launching copper at paper and pigs, it would be fine... in theory. My theory has been thrown in the shredder, however. I'm glad you can shoot $2.00 per squeeze ammunition, because I sure can't.</div></div>

FGMM is 1$ a round, hand loads (if done right, the best ammo on the planet) can be had for 0.44-0.50$/round. for 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

Your comment doesnt even belong in this thread. He isnt even talking about a Precision rifle, He is talking about a stock Rem 700. So why not run cheap ammo through it, if he cant afford the good stuff?

It's the ammo.
Prvi bullets do not have consistent diameters and the rims on the cases can vary quite a bit also.

I have had the same issues with the .223 75 grain HPBT ammo.

I had bought soem of the prvi "match" bullets, both 69 and 75 grain variety.
The 75's are okay, not real consistent, but reasonalby accurate. You can tell when you chamber a bullet that is a little on the portly side.

The 69 grain HPBT bullets SUCK.

FWIW, the American Eagle 168 grain OTM load can be had for 15 a box and is VERY accurate. Good brass with excellent speer 168 HPBT.

USA Ammo also sells a decent load for about 15.
I'm a bit disappointed in the company, as they have started to sell counter sniper scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

Your comment doesnt even belong in this thread. He isnt even talking about a Precision rifle, He is talking about a stock Rem 700. So why not run cheap ammo through it, if he cant afford the good stuff?

</div></div>

Hmmm. Maybe because it's giving him trouble chambering ?

I simply pointed out the obvious. He's using crap ammo.
That opinion has been supported by 95% of the replies.

Was your reply somehow more pertinent than mine ? If so, please elaborate because I'm having difficulty seeing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

For launching copper at paper and pigs, it would be fine... in theory. My theory has been thrown in the shredder, however. I'm glad you can shoot $2.00 per squeeze ammunition, because I sure can't. </div></div>

I don't shoot $2 ammo. I shoot off the shelf Hornady Match.

I wasn't suggesting expensive ammo. I think anything but what you're currently using would be a better option.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dragracer_Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you use crap ammo in a precision rifle ?

</div></div>

Hmmm. Maybe because it's giving him trouble chambering ?

I simply pointed out the obvious. He's using crap ammo.
That opinion has been supported by 95% of the replies.

Was your reply somehow more pertinent than mine ? If so, please elaborate because I'm having difficulty seeing it. </div></div>

Why do people like you always have to make smart a** comments, make a reply saying its the ammo.
My rifle doesnt chamber Federal, is it crappy ammo too? Mine was alittle more pertinent. Why not use crappy ammo in a Factory rifle (or should I I say a Precision rifle like you) to shoot pigs and Paper. All the smart a** comments makes it where people dont want to ask questions.

Relax fellas. While the comment about crappy ammo in relation to low test gasoline was a little brash, my skin is thick enough to not let it bother me. I appreciate all of the informative comments.

I will be picking up a box of FGMM, as well as a box of the Southwest Run-N-Gun 175 and see how they shoot.

I will definitely look into reloading in the near future, as it could pay for itself in a few thousand rounds.

I hope you all have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend, and thanks again.

I have seen inconsistent loading in many major brands of ammo. This stuff is all produced on machines and all of the machines go out of adjustment from time to time. The biggest thing about handloading is not just the cost savings. Automated powder handling equipment just doesn't have the consistency that handloading does. I was weighing the powder charge from every fifth round and throwing the rest from my powder measure. With a load of Varget I was seeing variances of 2-3 tenths of a grain. I borke down and bought an electronic scale (I know...I was long overdue) and now I am weighing every charge. I have also been weighing my bullets and grouping them by tenth of a grain. You just can get that kind of consistency in the loading shooting any kind of factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotLash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As it stands, I would have to shoot A LOT to break even. </div></div>

Exactly
wink.gif

It's not a bad thing. Think of it as a justification to shoot a whole bunch in order to save money.

I started hand loading with an inexpensive scale and a Lee Classic Loader...All together my first handloading setup cost me 70$(Not including brass, primers powder, etc) and it made damn good ammo. The only reason I upgraded to a press was the fact that the Lee Loader was so time consuming and I was shooting on average 50-100rounds a week(The Good Ol' Days).

Check it out
Lee Classic Loader
Dillon Powder Scale

PS: If you get the Lee Loader use the dipper ONLY TO DIP THE POWDER TO THE SCALE...They say the dippers measure the correct amount of powder but I find them too inconsistent, and besides you wanna work up a load tailored to your rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you trying to cam the extractor over the roumd. This will make it harder then normal. Try feeds from the mag and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't you need to have the extractor worked on it should cam out at least .025 if it's right. </div></div>

Remington 700's are push feed. It doesn't matter if you are dropping one in or loading from the magazine. The extractor still has to snap over the rim.

My guesstimate would be a chamber on the tight end (usually not a problem in .308 Remingtons) and ammo on the big end of the spec.

If you don't have a head space gauge, then just go buy some Federal Match and see if you have a similar issue.

Anyone who thinks a box-stock M700 (700P, LTR, VSS, etc) isn't a precision rifle probably doesn't know how to shoot.

Prvi ammo just plain sucks. I ran some through my AE MkII and it struggled to stay MOA at 100 yards. This is in a rifle that will shoot 1/3-1/4" 5-shot groups with Federal Match.

i had the exact same with my tikka t3, when i extract the round you could see the ejector had scrches the bottom of the case and the extractor claw had left its mark on the case. i fired 40 rounds without an issue, but the rest i have i will sell.

gr collin, ow it was 168 match privi